Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scarlett's Walk

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Strange Little Girls

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The Beekeeper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i'm glad to see how respected tori is around here. i still don't agree with mos tof the opinions about under the pink being a bad record. With songs like God and Cornflake Girl it just can't be bad!!!!
if the new album is reminiscent of Boys for Pele it seems we're in for an amazing ride and i can't wait!!!!

FullMetalCornflake said:
I hear that her next album is going to be reminiscent of Boys for Pele...

Ohrly? I have mixed feelings about that one. It has some of her absolute best songs (like Father Lucifer) and the harpsichord was really cool (I don't know why she hasn't used it since), but a bunch of the songs were kind of sparse and she does a lot of weird insane vocals that are pretty annoying. I should really keep up with news on her, she's definitely one of my favorite artists nowadays.

How's her live DVD? What sort of stuff is on it?

FullMetalCornflake said:
I don't consider her lyrics to be too Feminazi or man-hating. I just believe that there are people out there who listen to her, draw their own conclusions and run with it. Basically giving her a bad name. So others who don't really know much about her think that she sings about ball-busting and shit.

spot on. thats all theres to say about her lyrics having anything remotely related to feminism.

she just likes to view things through a girl's eyes...naturally. take "caught a lite sneeze", for instance (such a great track). the lyrics could be interpreted feministically, but i tend to think they only express a womanly grief and anger.

I find it unlikely that anyone here is a bigger Tori Amos fan than I am. Maybe as big, but not bigger. Save for 'Strange Little Girls' (Mediocre, with flashes of genius in her interperetations of'I Don't Like Mondays' and '97 Bonnie And Clyde') and 'The Beekeeper', all of her records are wonderful. Each one brings something unique and special.

However, for me, 'Under The Pink' takes the prize as her best. Why? Simply because it was the first record to ever open my eyes to how special music (and life) can be. I willl treasure it always.

wankerness said:
Yeah, under the pink is lame poppy piano ballads and from what I hear most of her fans don't even like Strange Little Girls. Try listening to "From the Choirgirl Hotel," most of the songs are not piano-driven, there's lots of guitar, drums, electronica and bass mixed in. "To Venus and Back" and "Scarlet's Walk" are similar but with less of an electronica aspect and more of a band feeling on many of the songs (drums and bass are present on most of the material).

Added them to my list of stuff to check out. Cheers.

Liquid Diamonds said:
I find it unlikely that anyone here is a bigger Tori Amos fan than I am. Maybe as big, but not bigger. Save for 'Strange Little Girls' (Mediocre, with flashes of genius in her interperetations of'I Don't Like Mondays' and '97 Bonnie And Clyde') and 'The Beekeeper', all of her records are wonderful. Each one brings something unique and special.

However, for me, 'Under The Pink' takes the prize as her best. Why? Simply because it was the first record to ever open my eyes to how special music (and life) can be. I willl treasure it always.

so you're a bigger fan than i am :err:

what are you implying?

Liquid Diamonds said:

Hahaha, what a dweeb ;) I also think that Liquid Diamonds is one of her best songs btw :)

I guess I should really listen to Under the Pink again, I really was unimpressed with it the first time.

wankerness said:
Ohrly? I have mixed feelings about that one. It has some of her absolute best songs (like Father Lucifer) and the harpsichord was really cool (I don't know why she hasn't used it since), but a bunch of the songs were kind of sparse and she does a lot of weird insane vocals that are pretty annoying. I should really keep up with news on her, she's definitely one of my favorite artists nowadays.

How's her live DVD? What sort of stuff is on it?

Well see, not really like that. She just hinted that her last two albums were really soft and mellow and she has been writing stuff lately from a more "warrior woman's" perspective. Kind of like Boys for Pele.

This is from Hereinmyhead.com
Amos is currently working on the followup to 2005's The Beekeeper at her home in Cornwall, England. "It's a real challenge, allowing myself to not have any kind of subject limits [this time] because I was trying to protect my child," she said of her new album. "But that's not the only reason I've written what I've written and done what I've done the last five years. Now that I've addressed things coming from the mother, the minister's daughter and a sexual creature, it's time to do something else energetically. I'm not quite sure how to put it in words yet and I think it's better to let the music speak for itself."

Longtime drummer Matt Chamberlain wrote in a post on his Web site last week that tracking for the album was complete. "It was a really fun and intense 3 weeks of non-stop playing, eating, playing, sleeping and playing," he said. "All I can say is that it rocks!"

The album will hit shelves in Spring 2007.

Her live DVD kicks ass. I totally recommend it. Great setlist. Some of my favorite songs like "Father Lucifer" "Leather" "Professional Widow" "Take To The Sky/Muhammad, My Friend" "Sweet Sangria" "Bells for Her"

I would also recommend her book "Piece by Piece" and her video DVD "Fade To Red"

What's her book about? Is it about her career in music/songwriting/songs
, or a general autobiography, or something else altogether?

And is fade to red that video collection that seems to be two dvds for no good reason at all (it can't possibly have more than about 2 hours worth of videos, can it?! The listing on the back puts about 8 videos on a disc!)? The teacher for that music/gender class had it and showed us the videos to Crucify and Sorta Fairytale, neither of which was particularly mindblowing (the latter was decent, and Tori sure was adorable in the former).

wankerness said:
What's her book about? Is it about her career in music/songwriting/songs
, or a general autobiography, or something else altogether?

All of the above.

And is fade to red that video collection that seems to be two dvds for no good reason at all (it can't possibly have more than about 2 hours worth of videos, can it?! The listing on the back puts about 8 videos on a disc!)? The teacher for that music/gender class had it and showed us the videos to Crucify and Sorta Fairytale, neither of which was particularly mindblowing (the latter was decent, and Tori sure was adorable in the former).

It also has the making of A Sorta Fairytale. IMHO, it could have made do with more special features. My favorite videos have to be "Jackies Strength" "Spark" and "Past The Mission" and "Cornflake Girl"

They didn't have "Strange Little Girls" video. Boo...:mad:

I will have to check the book out. The DVD I will continue thinking about, I always just feel torn when I see how much it costs for that little content :( I will get the live dvd, though.

What was she like in person? I heard she used to be kind of nasty towards fans but mellowed out a lot more as the years went buy. But, that's what she said on some interview I heard with her, so maybe she is still nasty (or never was)?

He is half right...while i think that bjork is the female equivalent to Jeff Buckley(in terms of emotion and creativity) i think that Tori Amos is the female equivalent to Elliott Smith(over-whiny voice and lyrics, boring song structures). i don't think that she totally blows...her music is just not my thing, doesn't sound beautiful or moving to me, just a bit overdramatic.