Torn = Not good

Don't be such a girl...there's nothing wrong with expressing opinions...it's not an Evergrey butt lick message board...any mature listeners and/or players can see that there is a decline in the quality of the music...it doesn't make any of us any less of a fan...it's simply pointing out the obvious. Get over yourself.

Any mature listener can see there is a decline in the quality? You can't take your opinion and say that it's the same for everyone. Because that's all that it is, an opinion. If you compare the songs on Torn to earlier songs, there is absolutely no decline in quality. Some are better, some are worse, but that's just a matter of taste. Torn isn't less progressive, doesn't have worse lyrics, riffs are as good as ever, and the emotion is definately one step up from earlier albums.
You can say you don't like Torn, you can say it's not as innovative as their earlier works, but you can't say there's any decline in quality. Torn is classic Evergrey with a twist, unlike MMA which was a completely new direction.
And by the way, you guys shouldn't start flaming each other. This forum is for us to discuss about Evergrey, and any opinion is valid as long as it's expressed in the right manner...

... to support Evergrey or only criticize them?

If they went too bad after ISOT, RD or IC, whatever, like all of your people insist to say, WTF are u doing here?

Stop listening to it!
I'm tired of reading only bad stuff (Torn is not good, MMA sucks, IC has something...) of the band that supposedly should be supported here!

...and once again, WTF!

Go find some band that u really stand for, instead of posting only CRAP here...
I love EY music and I think that there's a few members here, who are supportive for the band and whom I have most respect and pleasure to read their posts...

that's it!
felt that I needed post this... :Smug:

Hey man, didn't see I had a private message. I agree with you totally! There's a need for discussing the album but for people who supposedly only like ISOT and RC and that's it, why do you still visit the forum? So you can discuss 2 albums that came out 6 years ago or before and antagonize other members that enjoy everything Evergrey's ever produced? Take the elitism elsewhere, it doesn't fly here.

I don't know why, but the only song I believe on Torn is 'These Scars'. It's just a great, emotional Evergrey song, with everything that makes them great. The rest of the songs are all copies of eachother, sorry but that's just my view on it. There are some cool riffs and solos, but that doesn't automatically makes them great songs.

I've read a lot of reviews of this album and I cannot figure out why so many people praise it so much. I listened to the full album 4 times all the way through and I cannot mention a standout track. The production quality is lacking and imo the vocals are lacking as well.

I'm not writing this to bash the band in any way, because I love Evergrey... at least the pre-Torn Evergrey.

Does anyone else share my opinion of Torn?

I totally agree...

Really well played metal, high level of detail....but nothing stands out. I might have listened to the album 20+ times and I still get tracks mixed up. Where did all their fantastic hook lines and unison guitar work go? They have to add the edge to their music again...

Don't get me wrong: love their music, but it's been better than now.

I was torn on "Torn" for a long time.... firstly, I think the production/mastering really harms the album and makes it a tedious listen. But I just don't think the songs are that good. Every album from "Solitude - Dominance - Tragedy" through "The Inner Circle" was special... but now Evergrey seems to be creating generic metal. Also, as much as I love Tom's voice, I feel like he's been singing too much on the last couple albums. I don't care for the 7-string guitars either.

Partially voice feels overdone and tired, in response to ProgMetalFan. And the production is overall heavy.

I enjoy TORN though, but it's not an album that got me hooked. However, It’s good listening (preferably a few songs in a row), and a some of the moments achieved are amongst the best they've ever done.

Meanwhile, in my opinion the un-mastered version of Torn is somehow better. Or as my wife said: "What happened with the minute long fade out of song five (Numb)? It was my favourite part of the album."

These things, that changed rhythms and directions, also served to “mystify” and "air" the album. It wasn’t so thick to break through. On the other hand, I guess some demos before that were even beyond :)

i disagree with almost everyone ...I tuink Torn is amazing the production alone is the amazing thing..The 7 string guitars add the whole heavy dimension without the Meshuggah Garble most 7's are known for...Tom's voice is simply amazing in it's delivery..the only thing i dislike is that they use Line 6 pod's for some of the solos and they sound soooo far away...other then that "I walk alone" is my fav song by EG ....

Un-mastered version? Do you have a copy of this or any where I could download it? The mastering of the final product is what makes it hard to listen to. The songs are killer, if they were remastered properly and less compressed this album would sound so much better.

This is just getting pathetic. You have the same 4 or 5 people bombarding how they dislike this about evergrey and that. You don't like the production, you don't like Jonas, you don't like the 7 strings, you don't like Tom's vocals in newer albums etc etc. Here's a bit of information that some of you may not want to hear. Bands play the music for themselves, not the fans, they are greatfull to have people that like what they do, but they don't care about how you want them to sound, they won't conform to how you want them to be, they jsut express themselves for who they are.

Evergrey like every other good proffesional band, its a nver ending envolving journey and each albums is a reflection of how they feel as a musician and as a band. They are going to experiement and try new things, sorry if you want any band to be a time machine of a later era but people change, perspectives change, emotions and other things in life change, get over it. Oh boohoo how they want to modernize and not have that same old poor production 80's sound. Respect them for what they do, you may not always like it, but no two persons are the same and therfore what they may like you may not always like.

Everybody's a fucking critic, if you were so great and knew so much either you would have a band that sounds better than evergrey, own your own record company, be an A&R agent, be a huge name producer or be in some proccess of making big label albums, but none of you are, that means they are doing something better that what you can do if you are some joe blow nobody. If you can do better, I would like to hear it but since none of you are in a label signed band, its obvious you can't do better. So instead of bitching, get off your high horse and just enjoy the fucking music or don't listen to it.

I am sorry to be so upfront, but Evergrey Is my favorite band alongside Dream Theater, and even though I am not all that happy with Dream Theater's direction the past 10 years, and even more recently, I still like it, I still listen to them and the new almbums becuase its a never ending of expression of how they see their life perspectives at that point when they were writing and it is interesting to peer into that. I am sorry but I can't just sit here and watch people come to a band's offical forum, especially aband I have much respect for, and bitch about hwo much you hate this and that about them. I don't care how long you have posted on the forum, if all you can do is bitch about them are you a real fan? Just listen to the music, if you donlt like it, then don't listen to it. Don't go around to that bands forum disrespecting them for expressing themselves.

And by the way if you pull your heads out of your asses you would find out that jonas is a great drummer and unlike patrick he is actaully involved in the writing proccess, his playing may not be involved as partick's but it blends in and fits with the music a hell of a lot better. And for the 7 strings are not cool retards, Evergrey has used 6 strings to tune down just as far as they are with the 7 strings, so unless you would have seen them playing 7 strings you wouldn't have even noticed, its jmsut another reason to bitch at them.

Just respect them for what they are, don't judge them on what you want them to be.

Is this forum to support Evergrey or only criticize them?

If they went too bad after ISOT, RD or IC, whatever, like all of you people insist to say, WTF are you doing here?

Stop listening to it!
I'm tired of reading only bad stuff (Torn is not good, MMA sucks, IC has something...) of the band that supposedly should be supported here!

...and once again, WTF!

Go find some band that you really stand for, instead of posting only CRAP here...
I love EY music and I think that there's a few members here, who are supportive for the band and whom I have most respect and pleasure to read their posts...

that's it!
felt that I needed post this... :Smug:

Hey 'TheWinterSnow',
I couldn't fucking agree more!
Man, I want to congratulate you for saying this fucking true to all these jackass...

This (your attitude) is what distinguish the real hardcore Evergrey fans from the other ordinary stupid people, who always has something bad to say... I can't figured out what's the purpose of it...

You (jackass) won't be adding nothing constructive to the band by saying that MMA sucks or that Torn has an awful production... Like 'TheWinterSnow' said, they do their music, firstly, to satisfy their own perspectives and beliefs...

Just an example, as my sig shows, while many people seems to execrate MMA, for me, it's an album that marked my life so fucking much, coz I think it's the best compilation of music I've ever heard! So what, deal with it! That's a fucking true!

I'm a real hardcore Evergrey fan and I do whatever is possible to do, in order to promote this band (even buy EY albums to my friends, I do!) and guess what, this passion is motivated, mostly, because of this "hated" album called Monday Morning Apocalypse, wich is for me, their finest BEST album!

Like I did before (see the post above), if they went too bad after ISOT, why won't you people just ignore this band or as a consolation, keep listening to ISOT for the rest of your lives, DAMNED!

Sorry, but I can't hold this immature attitude from most of people in this forum, it's fucking stupid to read some of the stuff that we, unfortunately, had to read here.

Cheers to the real hardcore Evergrey fans, that certainly, we have here!
... and you know who you are, don't you?

This is just getting pathetic. You have the same 4 or 5 people bombarding how they dislike this about evergrey and that. You don't like the production, you don't like Jonas, you don't like the 7 strings, you don't like Tom's vocals in newer albums etc etc. Here's a bit of information that some of you may not want to hear. Bands play the music for themselves, not the fans, they are greatfull to have people that like what they do, but they don't care about how you want them to sound, they won't conform to how you want them to be, they jsut express themselves for who they are.

Evergrey like every other good proffesional band, its a nver ending envolving journey and each albums is a reflection of how they feel as a musician and as a band. They are going to experiement and try new things, sorry if you want any band to be a time machine of a later era but people change, perspectives change, emotions and other things in life change, get over it. Oh boohoo how they want to modernize and not have that same old poor production 80's sound. Respect them for what they do, you may not always like it, but no two persons are the same and therfore what they may like you may not always like.

Everybody's a fucking critic, if you were so great and knew so much either you would have a band that sounds better than evergrey, own your own record company, be an A&R agent, be a huge name producer or be in some proccess of making big label albums, but none of you are, that means they are doing something better that what you can do if you are some joe blow nobody. If you can do better, I would like to hear it but since none of you are in a label signed band, its obvious you can't do better. So instead of bitching, get off your high horse and just enjoy the fucking music or don't listen to it.

I am sorry to be so upfront, but Evergrey Is my favorite band alongside Dream Theater, and even though I am not all that happy with Dream Theater's direction the past 10 years, and even more recently, I still like it, I still listen to them and the new almbums becuase its a never ending of expression of how they see their life perspectives at that point when they were writing and it is interesting to peer into that. I am sorry but I can't just sit here and watch people come to a band's offical forum, especially aband I have much respect for, and bitch about hwo much you hate this and that about them. I don't care how long you have posted on the forum, if all you can do is bitch about them are you a real fan? Just listen to the music, if you donlt like it, then don't listen to it. Don't go around to that bands forum disrespecting them for expressing themselves.

And by the way if you pull your heads out of your asses you would find out that jonas is a great drummer and unlike patrick he is actaully involved in the writing proccess, his playing may not be involved as partick's but it blends in and fits with the music a hell of a lot better. And for the 7 strings are not cool retards, Evergrey has used 6 strings to tune down just as far as they are with the 7 strings, so unless you would have seen them playing 7 strings you wouldn't have even noticed, its jmsut another reason to bitch at them.

Just respect them for what they are, don't judge them on what you want them to be.

You don't agree that this album could benefit from a remaster? The mastering is the only bad thing about it in my opinion.

You don't agree that this album could benefit from a remaster? The mastering is the only bad thing about it in my opinion.

hasn't that alwyas been a porblem with evergrey form the beginning? From the older mixes sounding thin and over reverbed like out of an old metallica album only 15 years later when that trend was long dead outside the blackmetal realm or not having every song mixed and mastered consistently as well as some horrible phase issues and either hit or miss guitar tone from song to song on TIC, MMA having muddy guitar tone with a weird notch out of the mids.

Mastering and overall mix is Evergey's weak point, and that should be something that is the normal to most evergrey fans by now by album eight. We know that they weren't totally satisfired with MMA and were aware of the mistakes and id a great job to not repeat them in torn. And we don't know their opinions, maybe they are not satisfied with the master and will go somewhere else to master next album, maybe they mihgt master it themselves, who knows, for them its still a learning experience as any other band, some get it quicker than others. But wherer they have always lacked in production they have made up for it in song content.

Yes Torn has its flaws but if i were to say that the album would benifit a remaster, then the rest of them would as well, the only thing we can do is see how they get better at it over the next albums.

I agree with you on other albums being less than perfect as far as the mastering goes, but Torn is way more compressed than any other Evergrey release. No dynamic range at all.

I 'm also a hardcore Evergrey fan and just like some other people here, I'm really disappointed for noticing that the place I thought I would find true admirers of the band is actually a place where people who just happened to appreciate one or two Evergrey albums come to point out flaws they've found on MMA and Torn. It seems like some people here would only be happy if Evergrey released a second, third, fourth copy of Solitude.. or Inner Circle each year.. As Greco has said they don't have to make music according to fans expectancy, first because they don't even have many "die hard fans" , as can be confirmed in this forum. And even if they did, how could they please so many unmatching opinions about their work ? There would always be a bunch of disappointed "temporary fans". One of Evergrey's ( and any other real artists ) trademark is "experimentalism", that is what makes it always unpredictable to know in anticipation what to expect for their next album. We always know there will be huge quality, that typical dark atmosphere, and all those features that make five seconds of their music recognizable to all of us. But none of their albums has sounded like a repetition of what was done previously, and that's one of the reasons why I'll never get tired of listening to them. LONG LIVE EVERGREY ( as long as they play the music the way they like it and know how to do ! )

* Torn's production made it sound dirtier and heavier. Exactly what I was looking for in Metal by the time it was released. It couldn't have suited me better.. It took from Inner Circle's the TOP 1 position in my favorite Evergrey albums list !!

I agree with you on other albums being less than perfect as far as the mastering goes, but Torn is way more compressed than any other Evergrey release. No dynamic range at all.

not true, i was doing a side to side comparison of every album and i noticed while torn may be the most compressed, recraction day, while being open and not very compressed is not as dynamic as torn. Don't beleive me put a song from each albums on a playlist and go back and forth you will hear what I am talking about.

Wow...this thread will live forever! :lol:
Btw...my opinion has changed from the beginning...The first time that i've listened to TORN was the pre-release, downloaded (ok blame me!) from the net, waiting for my "I got TORN first" edition (don't blame me anymore!). First impression was: no keyboard, compressed sound, noisy album, but good songs.
Finally i've received my "true" album: the songs sound much better!
In the original album the sound is hard, maybe more than the other album, but the production is clear! No noise! I thinks that not all the fans have the original version and this can be the main issue: the pre-version sounds crap, but the original version sounds good!
The production is heavier than the other albums for sure! But a song like "FEAR" cannot sound like "I'm sorry" :)
The keyboards are maybe too low both in the pre-release and in the final, but i think that overall the album kicks ass! :headbang:

That's all folks!

Ive been listening to Torn A LOT since the release... I had huge expectations from seeing a couple of shows before the release and got to hear some of the songs on Toms ipod:headbang: When i got the cd i just turned down all the lighs in the living room and listened to it in full twice. Even though i had huge expectations it totally blew me away! Even now after gazillions of rounds in the cd player its still one of their finest albums... And as i have have said before, there is so much bullshit and whining on this forum. Put a sock in it and go somewhere else. Its not fair to the band, and its shure as hell not deserved!

Hope i get the economy to see a show again anytime soon :)