Torn = Not good

Janga666

Infamous Butcher
Jan 19, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've read a lot of reviews of this album and I cannot figure out why so many people praise it so much. I listened to the full album 4 times all the way through and I cannot mention a standout track. The production quality is lacking and imo the vocals are lacking as well.

I'm not writing this to bash the band in any way, because I love Evergrey... at least the pre-Torn Evergrey.

Does anyone else share my opinion of Torn?

Well, I'll have to say that the production is not as well as MMA in my opinion and the guitars surpass too much the keys volume, but still yet, the album rocks for me...

The best thing they could do was hiring an outside producer (besides that guy from King Diamond) and verifys the POWER and SUBSTANCE their music had it, and if u don't get what I'm talking about, I'm talking about MMA! :worship:

Fucking awesome! :headbang:
The PERFECT balance between heavy guitars, fantastic keys, powerfull drums and an EXTRAORDINARY vocal work.

But I guess I'm not the right guy to say something about MMA (check below)

That's it! hehe

Oh I definately agree, MMA is a KILLER album, one of Evergrey's best imo.

But with Torn, nothing really stands out for me, and it is a chore just to listen to. I'm just curious why so many others worship the album.

Maybe there's something wrong with my ears....lol

Hi Janga!

I think you should give some time to understand it well, u know what I mean?
Give it one more chance, but in this one, start with These Scars and Still Walk Alone

Maybe your opinion will start to change a little bit :)
Ohhh I've forgot to mention the guitars on Fail. Check it! I think you'll enjoy the melody!

Cheers mate!

I think the album is completely amazing, but the mix is a bit too compressed.
I don't see how you think it is a chore to listen to, but to each his own.
I love all Evergrey albums, it seems to me that MMA is most commonly disliked. If you loved MMA and hated Torn I think there is something wrong with you lol.

Yeah I agree...I love In Search of Truth through MMA but Torn I liked but am totally not buying it...And Wouldn't care If I never heard it again..It's not bad but nothing draws me..It's to dark..What happened to the melodic Heavyness of albums like Recreation Day

Everyone does have their own opinion and all..

But I think If you like MMA so much and not torn ..I don't think evergrey is for you....

MMa was what evergrey is NOT in my opinion...
The outside guy came took over and totally (IMO) screwed up what evergrey is...I've read that they even mixed the tracks how they wanted to...that's ridiculous....

I love torn....To me you can hear some of the evolved MMA sound a little..But also some of the old darkness....

As for the guy who said..too dark..again maybe evergrey is not for you....

They are meant to be DARK....they reach in to those hard times that some people go through..If it's too dark...your listening to the wrong band...

For me..It's not dark enough.....

Dark in the way of how painful life can be...what pain is....

I cannot say it's my favorite album but it's definitely up there...Don't think i can pick one fav evergrey album....

MMa to me some songs was written good..but very shallow compared to earlier work..like lost....it started off great..but after does not sound like tom wrote it....sounds very child like..inside out going outside in???Not complex writing as usually tom would deliver....

Dark i walk you through was awesome to me...

but as for torn...

Torn...great song.....If you can't relate to that song in one way or another...well life hasn't hit you hard yet..In my opinion...

Nothing is erased same thing...great writing returns ....to me most of the MMA songs lacked that great writing...

but again that's my opinion..everyone had one and it's okay....

But i love the album...

Everyone does have their own opinion and all..

But I think If you like MMA so much and not torn ..I don't think evergrey is for you....

MMa was what evergrey is NOT in my opinion...
The outside guy came took over and totally (IMO) screwed up what evergrey is...I've read that they even mixed the tracks how they wanted to...that's ridiculous....

I love torn....To me you can hear some of the evolved MMA sound a little..But also some of the old darkness....

As for the guy who said..too dark..again maybe evergrey is not for you....

They are meant to be DARK....they reach in to those hard times that some people go through..If it's too dark...your listening to the wrong band...

For me..It's not dark enough.....

Dark in the way of how painful life can be...what pain is....

I cannot say it's my favorite album but it's definitely up there...Don't think i can pick one fav evergrey album....

MMa to me some songs was written good..but very shallow compared to earlier work..like lost....it started off great..but after does not sound like tom wrote it....sounds very child like..inside out going outside in???Not complex writing as usually tom would deliver....

Dark i walk you through was awesome to me...

but as for torn...

Torn...great song.....If you can't relate to that song in one way or another...well life hasn't hit you hard yet..In my opinion...

Nothing is erased same thing...great writing returns ....to me most of the MMA songs lacked that great writing...

but again that's my opinion..everyone had one and it's okay....

But i love the album...
shallow??? wow, and which song exactly is that? coz i still got goosebumps listening to the album. and because there aren't 8minute songs on it...that doesn't mean shallow, nor less complex. it's straight between the eyes. with brilliant production. guys didn't surpass it with Torn. or maybe it's just different. i like the album (guitars could have been sharper, though), but MMA will always mean something special in my life (like Abigail for King Diamond fans) :worship:

shallow??? wow, and which song exactly is that? coz i still got goosebumps listening to the album. and because there aren't 8minute songs on it...that doesn't mean shallow, nor less complex. it's straight between the eyes. with brilliant production. guys didn't surpass it with Torn. or maybe it's just different. i like the album (guitars could have been sharper, though), but MMA will always mean something special in my life (like Abigail for Kind Diamond fans) :worship:

That's right!
As for me, MMA is THE BEST Evergrey album and I don't think they necessarily need to be that band with depressing lyrics and this is MY opinion, wich don't give me the right to disrespect the opinion of other fellows here...

And that's what we are, fellows and this forum is one of the most respectful forums I've been to...

We should respect other point of views and not saying that if the guy likes that more direct album, there's something wrong with him... :Smug:

Man, I listen to Evergrey since Inner Circle but it was with MMA that they really got me into their music...

Some will say that I've start to listen Metal some days ago by stating that, but they're FUCKING wrong!

MMA is a good album, it can be a different album from the other ones, but still represents, as Tom Englund said, what the band are capable of doing!

And don't understand that as a pejorative term...

I love the sig: "Opinions are like assholes. everyone's got one" --- it's so true!

I don't know what it is about the album, maybe it's the lack of memorable choruses, the production, the lack of melody. However, I still think Evergrey is an amazing band.

I'm curious. I love In Search of Truth and The Inner Circle. In fact, they are two of my all time favorite albums. I don't like Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy and Recreation Day is ok...do you think I'd enjoy Torn?

I'm curious. I love In Search of Truth and The Inner Circle. In fact, they are two of my all time favorite albums. I don't like Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy and Recreation Day is ok...do you think I'd enjoy Torn?

Well, based on your tastes (which are close to mine) I would say you don't like Torn.

I'm wrong, right?...lol

shallow??? wow, and which song exactly is that? coz i still got goosebumps listening to the album. and because there aren't 8minute songs on it...that doesn't mean shallow, nor less complex. it's straight between the eyes. with brilliant production. guys didn't surpass it with Torn. or maybe it's just different. i like the album (guitars could have been sharper, though), but MMA will always mean something special in my life (like Abigail for Kind Diamond fans) :worship:

If you can't listen to a good song that's about 8 minutes you're a douchbag.
Torn is what every other Evergrey album is; LEGENDARY!
You don't judge the song of it's length, you judge it by its greatness.

I'm not saying that MMA is a bad album, but all of you guys thinking MMA is there best HAVE NOT listened through every album carefully and managed to understand what evergreys album is and have always been like.
Guess you started listen too evergrey when MMA was released :)

If you can't listen to a good song that's about 8 minutes you're a douchbag.
Torn is what every other Evergrey album is; LEGENDARY!
You don't judge the song of it's length, you judge it by its greatness.

I'm not saying that MMA is a bad album, but all of you guys thinking MMA is there best HAVE NOT listened through every album carefully and managed to understand what evergreys album is and have always been like.
Guess you started listen too evergrey when MMA was released :)
hmmm, nobody likes pompous smartass :heh:
i've listened to more 15+min songs, than you've drunk pints of beer, my dear. but apparently you don't get my point. EG are for me what i want 'em to be. i'm master of myself. not someone who starts firing insults at people, because they like something different. grow up. get over your ego. i'm not forcing anyone to like MMA, nor anything else. it's life principle, that we don't like the same thing. it would be horrible if we all had the same taste in women, wouldn't it? (speaking from a position of a man, no offence to ladies)

Well...maybe the sound can be a little bit compressed, but the songs are very good! I agree that is different from the other albums, and the first and second time that that i've listened to it, i had the same opinion...i think TORN is less accessible...you must clear your mind before listen to it: don't compare it with the other releases: listen it "as-is"! Now i really enjoy TORN...maybe my favorite album is always recreation day but i can enjoy TORN for sure! :headbang:

Well...maybe the sound can be a little bit compressed, but the songs are very good! I agree that is different from the other albums, and the first and second time that that i've listened to it, i had the same opinion...i think TORN is less accessible...you must clear your mind before listen to it: don't compare it with the other releases: listen it "as-is"! Now i really enjoy TORN...maybe my favorite album is always recreation day but i can enjoy TORN for sure! :headbang:
thank you, that was my point. My Favourite is MMA, but i never said i didn't like others. in fact i love them all (my CD's are all signed by the band). i wouldn't want to change anything, because it would be the band i'm in. it just wouldn't be this awesome band. :worship:

sadlly i have to admit i am " torn apart " regarding this album.
i was expecting something else totally...
i wished for more complexed music
much more carina...(she definatly deserves a complete song...)
more rickard musical moments.
more slow distinctive solos to remember.
one great ballad where tom always shines..( who said faith restored...)
more of the good EG magical experience.

Torn is a great metal album but evergrey is much more than that.
as for me i feel they made the " wrong turn".
sorry but i have to be true to myself.

keep up the dark side
oz.

By shallow i was talking about lost from MMA....

Look at the words.....I should say simple not shallow...

Insid eout going outside in???I'm just saying compared to other evergrey song's it was very.....Backstreet boyish....to me...

Sounded very popish....not like usual evergrey...

The song was very shallow written compared to other evergrey song's that all I meant...

Like for instance dark discovery...did you check those lyrics out??? Was amazing!!very dark and you can feel the pain....

To me that is awesome...

Didn't mean to step on anyones feelings if i did so I apologize....

Love evergrey just as much as the next guy..but to me song's like Lost...I would be shocked if it was written by tom...as I just can't see it....sounds like someone else took a try at writing...

Tom has this really awesome way of making ppl feel his words....that's all..

I like MMa alo (some songs)

But torn is awesome....to me...

I also love Rd and all the other albums....

I just love evergrey..

But to me..as a write,musician,and poet...MMA was very distinctively different...And Most of it was not for me..sounded more American..(i live in U.s.a) (hawaii)

And i like most things from europe better than usa..

Some MMa song's sounded like Usa bands..