TORN

Eduardo Greco

Still In the Water
Sep 27, 2008
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Giving Torn some time to be 'digest', can you all share what's your opinion about it, I mean, wich songs now, let your 'mouths down' (impress), if the album has evolved in your ears and as a natural way, had mature enough to rank as one of the bests from Evergrey?

Below, you'll see a Torn review from Marty Dodge:

Evergrey: Torn

Despite the death metal-ish cover to this album, it's just rather good heavy metal. The band have probably released their strongest effort to date in the form of this CD. The title track is quite an impressive dosh of heavy rock. Englund, the band’s lead vocalist, has quite a range of vocal styles. He can sound as and eerily similar to Jeff Scott Soto (ex-Journey) to a more standard heavy rock voice with everything else in between. The band are anything but one dimensional.

There is an element of Nightwish et al without the female lead vocals. It's that symphonic progressive metal that seems to flow out of parts of the European continent. Bands like this like to use whatever works best with the track and show a variety of talents on their releases. Their variety of power metal has quite a bit going for it.

The album seems to get better with every listen; certain elements coming out for those who care to give it time. There is a deluxe edition with the great track “Caught in a Lie” on it. The song is worth tracking down this version for its pomp and quality. Those who think that power metal is tired need to seek out this release. One of the best I have heard all year.

Source: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-reviews-acdc-motorhead-evergrey-the/page-2/

In my opinion, Soaked and Numb has figured as two fucking strong and excellent songs, but Still Walk Alone and These Scars still are the bests tracks overall...

Nightwish... for fuck's sake. Pretty dull review I would say. Or to use the authors jargong, it seems like it's quite dull and full of obvious statements, despite the rather uncertain and vague opinions, it's however posible that the reading get's to the heart of some metal-ish fans out there.

God! Guys...i like Nightwish...i think they're great...both with Tarja (can't wait to see her live @ Gods of Metal, Italy) and Annette, but Evergrey is Evergrey!!!! :worship:
I think TORN is great and i can't wait to hear it live! :headbang:
A math comparison:

Nightwish : Evergrey = Very good : BEST

God! Guys...i like Nightwish...i think they're great...both with Tarja (can't wait to see her live @ Gods of Metal, Italy) and Annette, but Evergrey is Evergrey!!!! :worship:
I think TORN is great and i can't wait to hear it live! :headbang:
A math comparison:

Nightwish : Evergrey = Very good : BEST

hehehe
Nice galtared!

A well done 1st degree equation... hehe

.."I still walk alone"...is one of my favorite tunes of all time...EVERGREY RULES:

Indeed!
It's an excellent song!

... to me, Torn is different from all the other albums and it's fantastic!
people always complain, without being sane to do it, they did an album that all the 'complainers' wanted to, and evenway, they still complain!

WTF!

Indeed!
It's an excellent song!

... to me, Torn is different from all the other albums and it's fantastic!
people always complain, without being sane to do it, they did an album that all the 'complainers' wanted to, and evenway, they still complain!

WTF!

Totally agree Edu!
TORN is really original! In the beginning i wasn't sure about goodness of the sound (keys!), but now i can appreciate the whole album! I think it needs a little bit more to be understood (compared to the other albums), but after all you can enjoy the great sound! :headbang:

It's a matter of taste really. I love Torn, but I suppose people who were extremely displeased with MMA (and there are quite a few of them) were dissapointed that some of that new direction remained in Torn. There's no denying that it's more straightforward and a bit less progressive than albums such as ISoT or TIC.
Anyway, Torn is an awesome album with some amazing songs, and has definately added some new favorites for me (Broken Wings, These Scars and Fear are probably my 3 favorites on it).