Tortex picks.... fffuuuuuuu

every time I switch I think "oh man this pick is better, why was I using the other one?" :p

Haha I know exactly what you mean! I have this with the green and purple tortex picks, I love them both for other reasons, so I'm constantly switching. On bass, the purple one is a clear winner though. Makes me want to play that thing like a barbarian.

Gotta be the full size purple 1.14 tortext for heavy tone. You can really grind that 1.14 into the string and get the right tone, anything lighter too floppy and weak sounding, anything heavier to dark and round sounding.
The jazz picks are fun to shred on but you can't get the some crushing tone for riffing... well I can't at least

I've gone off Tortex.

Used to use the Dunlop 1.14mm, went to the cheaper Fire & Stone version carried by a local music shop which I actually preferred, I think 'cos the edges are rounded from new, whereas the Dunlop edges were squared off and took a while to play in.

But I tried out a few different types recently and found the tortex sounded somehow flatter and deader than others. I'm leaning towards the Gibson Pure picks ATM.

If you're going to be claiming that jazz picks make you lose attack and all that, at least do a shootout and properly A/B. Probably it's different for every player but I pick hard as a mofo and those tortex Jazz IIIs dont have any less attack for me than any other picks, and I've tried everything. I think they rule and I swear by them. I like them because when I A/Bd them with the rest of the jazz picks, they didn't have that harsh clankiness that all the other ones have.

I've been using those red Jazz III XL picks. I never really buy picks but once every 5 years maybe? There was a period where I was using american quarters, but they caused too much string wear. I liked getting used to using different things for picks incase I didn't have one. I once lost my pick and used a slice of pizza, it didn't work too good, but I'm sure it looked retarded - and that's what it's all about.

every time I switch I think "oh man this pick is better, why was I using the other one?" :p

Well, not every time but I definitely agree that it's fun/beneficial to change pick model every now and then. That said, I have a ton of the sharp purple Tortex that I traded for some strings.

If you're going to be claiming that jazz picks make you lose attack and all that, at least do a shootout and properly A/B. Probably it's different for every player but I pick hard as a mofo and those tortex Jazz IIIs dont have any less attack for me than any other picks, and I've tried everything. I think they rule and I swear by them. I like them because when I A/Bd them with the rest of the jazz picks, they didn't have that harsh clankiness that all the other ones have.

I kinda agree with that. When you A/B a recording with different picks usually you can't tell much of a difference, and it's even less noticeable in a full mix. Basically what it comes down to is the feel of each pick. For example with jazzIII picks, because of their size and the way you have to hold them, you feel less resistance from the strings so they feel faster and smoother. The bigger tortex ones have more of a grip on the strings and feel "heavier" when playing rhythm but the tone isn't drastically different. Sure you may spot some differences after a close A/B comparison but I really doubt if you hear a riff recorded with a JazzIII pick you'll say "Wow, this sounds kinda wimpy, must have been recorded with a jazzIII pick".

Having said that, after using for years jazzIII picks I recently switched to black tortex sharp picks and I like the fact that they are more precise and I feel more resistance from the strings.

I once lost my pick and used a slice of pizza, it didn't work too good, but I'm sure it looked retarded - and that's what it's all about.

I've heard that tuna pizza has a much smoother attack than pepperoni pizza, can you confirm this from your experiences?

Jazz III's sound like dick to my ears/in my hands, Tortex is the best sounding pick for me. I still like/need the sharp tip for a lot of stuff, though, so the Tortex T3 or InTuneGP XJJ is perfect:

TGAPicks.png

i used ibanez paul gilbert picks for about 6 years or longer.
last year i went to the jazz III. a few weeks ago i discovered the difference in tone between these picks and now i´m back to the gilberts.

paul himself uses dunlop tortex 60s i think.:lol:

You gotta remember it's the way the pick makes you play that affects the tone more than anything. I can't play some of the shit I have to with a different pick. So of course it'll sound shit lol

Green Tortex FTW, really liked the ultex ones, but they're a nightmare to get hold of over here, so i don't wanna get used to something i can't pick up last minute before a show!