[TOUR] PAGANFEST USA: THE OFFICIAL THREAD

^^ Totally agree! I thought Eluveitie and Turisas SLAAAYYED and really got the crowd going. Tyr was a joke. Ensiferum played well but everyone was beat by that time. I also really enjoyed the opener, Seattle's "Oakhelm". Pretty badass stuff. Suidakra played great and had a lot of great tracks but the noob audience didn't know who they were and didn't get into it really. Sick show though.

I missed the openers. I went straight from work, and thought some dinner would probably be a good idea. Otherwise I would have collapsed halfway through the show! I must be getting old...

I got there just in time for Eluveitie, who were good. I'm not familiar with them, but nothing beats a guy headbanging while playing bagpipes. :headbang: (Unless of course it's a guy playing violin...or accordion.)

I didn't think Tyr were bad, but the crowd didn't know them (me included), so crowd response was pretty tame. I like their chant/chorale vocals though - that song they started off with was great! Kinda downhill from there.

Ensiferum played quite well. It was cool that they played Victory Song, but I was hoping they'd play the Wanderer. It's been in my head off and on since I first heard it, and it's one of the few songs they have that I know well enough to sing along to. Funny when the bass player left the stage early and they had to wait for him to come back. (SAMI!!!) :lol:

But Turisas definitely topped them all. They interacted with the crowd best as well. Netta Skog seems to be having the time of her life, by the way. I don't think she stopped smiling the whole set. And I laughed when she and Matthias danced during 'that gay song Turisas closed the set with' :lol: (before they segued into Battle Metal).

Yeah Turisas DEFINITELY had the best crowd interaction. Though after listening to their 2 albums non-stop for the past month I was disappointed with how folky they came off compared to how metal most of their music is. Like that Rasputin cover, lack of "The Messenger", and turning "One More" into a ridiculous drinking song (I would like to think it's a bit deeper than that), namely. Kinda came off like Korpiklaani a bit too much. Either way it was still a sick show. Ensiferum closing with Treacherous Gods = Fucking awesome. Disappointed they didn't play Deathbringer though.

...can be found HERE! :headbang:

The lighting sucked, nothing but red the whole time, but I tried to make do. The show was amazing though! Wow... what a collection of bands. I hope they do it again next year.

I went to Paganfest in Santa Clara, CA last night....and it was great! The opening band Suidakra wasn't bad. They put on a good show. Eluveitie wasn't bad either...the vocalist was not that bad live (recorded, on the other hand, is a different matter IMO). I was disappointed in Tyr...they only played 3 songs! What's up with that? They did play my favorite songs though.

Turisas put on a very entertaining show to say the least. They even brought a disco ball in for "Rasputin"...it was really funny :) The croud loved it. Hanu also took the oportunity to tease some girls that were right next to the stage. They were right in front of me so I looked up and saw him sticking out his tongue at them. It was very silly ;) That accordian player is really good by the way. It looked like she was having fun. However, I do have a question: Which beer was Nygard drinking? Someone mentioned Lapin Kulta, is that what he was drinking? And yes, Budwieser is like piss water, its gross.

And then, lastly, Ensiferum took to the stage and also put on a great show. The only thing is I have yet to figure out what they were wearing! Haha.

P.S. I am guessing that "Rasputin" was an excuse to make fun of Russians ;)

nb: looks like arizona gig is cancelled, just in case someone planned on going there!

and @dragonkeeper: if it was some blue can or bottle with blue sticker, it's most certainly LK, sadly it seems to be the only beer finns are exporting. we only get this one in switzerland either.

I didn't see a bottle, he was just waving around a glass of dark beer while making a speech saying the beer that he was drinking was better than Budweiser. Since he went through so much effort I would like to try that beer now hehehe.

I didn't see a bottle, he was just waving around a glass of dark beer while making a speech saying the beer that he was drinking was better than Budweiser. Since he went through so much effort I would like to try that beer now hehehe.

that guy simply talks to much on stage.. :-D but he's the beer messiah - so what :)

edit: albuquerque show (my 13th) cancelled too!

Anyone know if the El Paso show is still a going to happen?
I've got two good friends who flew all the way from western South Dakota to see the Phoenix show only to have it canceled two hours before the hand, completely blame the venue, its a sh!thouse by anyones standards the management couldn't have found their butts with both hands. I'd been asking them about tickets ever since it got transfered to them and no one could ever give me a straight answer. Friends flew down on faith that the show would happen as scheduled. El Paso show would be the last option for them on this tour... Would make the drive if we knew the El paso show was still on(Myspace for Paganfest isnt really clear and the venue answering machine says they are open Thursdays-Saturdays...) and we could get tickets. Many thanks if someone might have some inside information.

Wow, that sucks. I'm sure Rapid City to Phoenix wasn't cheap either. Good luck in getting to a show.

One week til the Atlanta show!
Hope the Atlanta show goes off without any problem.

Nope it wasn't at at all. Not to mention the fact there really isn't anything else in Phoenix to justify the trip.

But they are devoted warriors of viking metal so I just hope I can find out with some authority that the show tonight will be happening and that I can get them to it. Don't like the idea of shelling out 150+ in gas but hey, what are friends for and it would be worth it if we could see all these great bands play.

Anyone know if the El Paso show is still a going to happen?
i just checked with the eluveitie guys and they dont know anything that todays show got cancelled, so it SHOULD happen (if the place wont blow up or so..).
i hope they're gonna make it in time and enjoy the show over there. must suck to travel so far for nothing (speaking of arizona now).

Hey everyone. On behalf of Turisas, a BIG sorry for the people who intended to go to the Phoenix gig. We got the cancellation notice quite late and would have definitely played if only the tour organization wouldn't have decided otherwise. We really hope to play there in the near future.

(One of the guys who flew from South Dakota)

We made the El Passo show w00t. Sucks that so few people turned out, but at least we had good spots; standing on the box.^^ I blame it all on the venues not answering their phone and their crappy websites. Anyhow, Turisas stole the show, Ensiferum was great too woooo Suomi metal :kickass:

ps While passing Jussi on the street to get some fast food I pumped my fist and said TURISAS! Jussi's reaction was *cricket cricket... haha good stuff, I should have nodded and just said Moi...hope I didn't scare him :zipit:

The show was awesome guys, well worth the 14 hours driving! Eluveitie sounded great! (though I have no idea how the ladies play so well without getting their hair caught in the instruments!)
Turisas was absolutely the most fun I have ever had at a show. You guys totally turn the small show into Turisas in my living room indeed.
Thanks to all you guys for playing. I know it was hot and the crowd was small but it was something I know I wont forget for a long time to come.