tours / shows gone bad.....

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
What tours were you looking forward to and then something happened along the way where they were stopped or just fell apart?

First one for me is The Metal Gods Tour with Halford / Testament / Immortal / Primal Fear / Behemoth ( Amon Amarth was set to be on the early part but something happened where Behemoth filled in for a few dates) / Carnal Forge / Painmuseum. After the Chicago date it fell apart quickly with Halford rejoining Priest. Lucky to have seen it. I think it lasted like 4 more dates after the Chicago one.

Second was King Diamond / Kreator / Leaves Eye's / Celladoor. Odd line up but interesting. Health problems for King cancelled it.

Any tour in the past 2 years with Onslaught on it. First was the tour with Ragnarokkr with Bonded By Blood / Fueled By Fire and Exhumer. Then the Rumor of Gamma Bomb tour with them. Many announcements and cancelations. Now they are touring and Striker have dropped and they are using Neil Turban as a singer now. Band is cursed.

anyone else....

King Diamond/Kreator is the first one that pops in my head. Still disappointed but that'll be change once I see him this month.

Back when I was into them, Lordi when they did a headline tour. They canceled due to the Metro stage not being big enough. Dumb.

The only other ones are not cancellations but when bands have gotten pulled off fests. The first major one was when Dream Evil had to drop from PP due to their own stupidity. The second was this year at MDF when Ulver were forced to cancel.

There probably are others, but I'd have to think about it.

What tours were you looking forward to and then something happened along the way where they were stopped or just fell apart?

First one for me is The Metal Gods Tour with Halford / Testament / Immortal / Primal Fear / Behemoth ( Amon Amarth was set to be on the early part but something happened where Behemoth filled in for a few dates) / Carnal Forge / Painmuseum. After the Chicago date it fell apart quickly with Halford rejoining Priest. Lucky to have seen it. I think it lasted like 4 more dates after the Chicago one.

I went to this in Michigan and I remember being so dismayed and let down that Testament and Amon Amarth weren't playing. I had a chip on my shoulder about Behemoth specifically just because they were replacing Amon Amarth. It was unfair, sure, but that's just how I felt at the time. Immortal were fucking awesome though, so I ended up being happy with the show.

In 2006 I was really annoyed when Dream Theater chose to cancel their Detroit tour stop because it was shortly before they were filming the Score DVD and the band made the decision to preserve James's voice and cancel our date. I was irritated because, smarter planning to begin with could have prevented this. I got over it pretty fast since I've seen DT three times since then anyway.

2009 when Pain of Salvation had to drop off of Progressive Nation. I got over that since I've seen them four times since then anyway :)

Slapshot getting removed from a Dropkick Murphys show with H2O in Boston because a DMS band just can't share a stage with Slapshot.

Shai Hulud getting Disney-banned and dropping off the tour with New Found Glory and Set Your Goals.

Extol touring the US and breaking down before they could get to Michigan.

Nevermore cancelling ProgPower and that same year last-second cancelling a Michigan show because Warrel got food poisoning or something.

death/dark angel in 89. death quit the tour right before our show, but dark angel still played and were awesome.

motorhead pulling out of the tour with megadeth due to lemmy getting hurt a few years back

Last year's Something Bloody Fest in RI. I was all psyched to go see Attacker and Cauldron, then Attacker dropped out when their drummer got injured and Cauldron couldn't make it into the country. The worst part was that the fest did nothing to let people know and just changed the marketing of the fest from "all metal genres" to just "extreme metal". If I recall, there were 3 bands left that I was at all interested in: Dawnbringer who played at midnight on Saturday, then Seax and Hessian who played different stages at the same time on Sunday.

Rites of Darkness 2011 (due to major band dropoffs, and me having work issues come up and couldn't make the fest anyway and wasting flight/ticket/etc)

That Rites of Darkness meltdown was quite the slow-motion spectacle to watch.

Last year's Something Bloody Fest in RI. I was all psyched to go see Attacker and Cauldron, then Attacker dropped out when their drummer got injured and Cauldron couldn't make it into the country. The worst part was that the fest did nothing to let people know and just changed the marketing of the fest from "all metal genres" to just "extreme metal". If I recall, there were 3 bands left that I was at all interested in: Dawnbringer who played at midnight on Saturday, then Seax and Hessian who played different stages at the same time on Sunday.

I was disappointed about not being able to see Attacker too, that was a let down. Nevertheless I still had a great time at there, Dawnbringer and Cauchemar were amazing, and Hessian always kicks ass, plus the venue is one of the best in the region.

Overkill dropping off the Dark Roots of Thrash tour

Diamond Head / Girlschool / Al Atkins tour change / cancel

Tony Martin's Headless Cross

Helloween / Kingdom Come

I had 2 tickets for Dio, Yngwie & Killer Dwarfs at the Ottawa Ex. Dio cancelled and the GF ended up exchanging them for Cher. Still hurts 24 years later.

First thing that comes to mind is Mercyful Fate, Flotsam and Jetsam, and Cathedral. I was wanting to see all three but
I was super stoked to see Cathedral at the time. When I arrived and walked up to the door someone in line told me that Cathedral was now off of the tour.
Oh and a five hour car trip to see Bolt Thrower only to arrive and find out that the band would not be making the gig. Stuck around to watch the opener Life, Sex, Death (which was a very odd opener) Too young to drink back then, and smart phones did not exist, to bad too cause if we had one we might have found out about the cancelled show four hours down the road oppose to five.
I'm sure there are many, many more but memory is slipping these days.
I am also reminded of Badlands on the 'Voodoo Highway' tour; I knew no one who went to clubs in those days so I had no way there. Of course if I had there was no guarantee I would even get in - in those days not too many club shows were all ages, though I never had much of a problem. Nonetheless I did not make it and the following Monday at school I spoke to someone who went that could have gotten me
there.
Missed Screaming Tree, still have the tickets, think I forgot the date back then.
Regret not going to see Nirvana at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, not sure what caused me to skip that one.

We boo'd Screaming Trees off the stage when they opened
For social distortion at Metro in 1990.
They were being total pricks to the crowd so I didn't feel bad.

Another time was in like 88 when I went to the Riv to see Overkill / Nuclear Assault
Got to the door to find out the show was canceled.
This was obviously pre Internet so I have no idea if just this date was canceled or others as well.