Tracking a band for the first time... is this enough gear?

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
Well I'm going to be helping a band I know out with some demos soon, here a list of their gear is -

Windows Platform Computer w/ multiple screens if necessary.
Pro Tools LE M-Powered
M-Audio Pre-USB External Sound Card.
2 Multichannel Mixing Desks (1 old, 1 new)
3 SM58 Equivalent Mics
2 c1000 equivalent Mics
A fair amount of stands and cables.
2 Guitar Amps.
1 Bass Amp
Full Acoustic Drum Kit + Small Electric Kit
Guitars, Keyboards etc...
5.1 Logitech Sound System

Is this going to be enough to record some decent quality stuff?

The band wants me to be their to track everything with them and set shit up, so I need to know if this stuff will be enough :D

There are 4 members, a vocalist/lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, bassist and drummer.

Any tips would be good dudes \m/

missing atleast:
- headphone amp + headphones (atleast for the drummer)
- decent kick mic
- unless the kit has only 2 toms, you need a mic for snare
- DI-box
- preferrably a cable snake (8 in 2 out minimum) so you can take your mixing spot to another room

missing atleast:
- headphone amp + headphones (atleast for the drummer)
- decent kick mic
- unless the kit has only 2 toms, you need a mic for snare
- DI-box
- preferrably a cable snake (8 in 2 out minimum) so you can take your mixing spot to another room

Yeah, I might get them to record with a electric drumkit instead because our budget is kind of nothing :D

And we have been discussing if they should record DI tracks instead of mic'ed up amps, because I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get them a better sound from the DI tracks than the mic'ed up amps haha

To be honest most bands I wouldn't even discuss DI boxes or simulating the tones later with, just do it anyway, cos they'll always want the "REAL AMP DOODZ - MINE ON RECORD YUS", just record the amp to allay their fears and take a DI at the same time, say its a backup measure or whatever if they ask.