tracking guitars part by part

Devon8822

New Metal Member
Jan 15, 2007
So most people recording guitars riff by riff, but I am wondering how to make sure the transition between playing two riffs is solid when you do this. Is it just a matter of recording the second riff and than putting a crossfade? I notice sometimes the transition feels un-natural. Do you sometimes have to record the two riffs together to make it sound right? Any tricks to this? Seamless riff transitions? thanks

I track a lot of riffs with the mentality of it being the first chord of the song, not necessarily a following chord, and i make sure every riff doesn't end to early (before the bar/beat) and i make the tail go over the bar by a 64th and fade back to the bar line! As long as its tracking right i never have issues, just a collaboration of well tracked riffs, but its all in the players hands yo :worship:

I generally start a bar or two before the transition point to get into the flow. Then I'll just chop off the excess....crossfade the transition....and whallah. As natural as one take.

Guitars tend to suffer from discontinuity problems the least out of just about anything. With drums you've got to worry about cymbal resonance hanging over the punch point the exact same way, with vocals you can more or less forget about it unless you've frozen the singer's head in space. With guitars you ninja in all kinds of crazy punch-ins without being noticeable, if you just know the right place to do it.

If it's possible, I'll get the player to play up until the punch point - but many times with guitars this is undesirable. Odds are there is a position change, or a natural noise or drawback to their playing technique which necessitated that punch-in in the first place. That will keep happening unless you do a fresh punch, from that particular position. So maybe practice the art of ninja'ing those punches.

For high gain guitars its important to move your hands to the chord for the following riff even if you are not going to play it. All that stuff helps the realism when you drop in the next section....the previous posts mention playing early which gets this effect on one end of the region but you need it on the latter part too.