Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Night Castle

I'm looking forward to it! Funny thing, My band put the finishing touches on our 2007 album, "Brothers of the night" at Morrisound Studios in like, July 07' and TSO was there working on Night Castle then. Really nice guys. We actually had dinner with Paul one night. Fast foward 2 years, Were at Morrisound for two weeks here recently in 2009, AND THEY WERE STILL THERE FINISHING THE SAME ALBUM!!!! Morrisound is not cheap, and they spent alot of time there. I Can't wait to hear what the record sounds like!

...now this is funny! :lol: With that said, I guess Paul has the money to drag out things as long as he likes.

~Brian~

...now this is funny! :lol: With that said, I guess Paul has the money to drag out things as long as he likes.

~Brian~

yes he does, we have heard many stories about his exploits at his time there at morrisound. Apparently he backed over one of the studio managers cars with his hummer................and then just got him a new car!

must be nice!

BTW, for those who can't wait for their CD, Amazon is offering the whole album in MP3s for $3.99 for today only. Apparently, there is an exclusive bonus track included with this.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Night-Castle-Amazon-Exclusive-Version/dp/B002TA2CM8/ref=amb_link_85388331_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=12V7AW2QN8ZFB2WBWYXW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=494423171&pf_rd_i=163856011[/ame]

I don't mind the album cover, but the band name font is awful. Totally incongruous. Looks like a Nascar type font against a metal album cover.

Anybody listen to the whole album yet? You can get the entire album on Amazom as MP3s for $3.99 today and tomorrow - plus a free bonus track you can only get if you buy the MP3 whole album (can't buy it separately).

I think someone should make a move, "Harold & Kumar look for Night Castle," where those two guys drive around for 5 years looking for this CD that has been promised for the last 5 TSO tours!

Kidding aside, I'm looking forward to this. Now...if they can just do a summer concert tour with DSO opening, we'll all be happy!

Darren

Deathspell Omega opening for TSO? Count me iiiiin!!!!

kidding of course! (even though as much as I like Diablo I am more partial to Deathspell hehe).

Looks like Best Buy might have it for 7.99 this week. The reason I say *might*, they have Nightcastle as having 1 disc. Not sure if there are other variants.

The AMAZON deal is well worth it. The exclusive amazon track is almost 7 minutes and the best track on the entire album! Go figure!

I'm listening to Nightcastle as I type this and so far I like it alot! I'm diggin' it much more the their last holiday album. The Mountain took me by surprise, because I didn't realize they were going to cover Prelude To Madness for the album.

~Brian~

I just grabbed the Amazon.com MP3 download for the $4. If they are also selling the CD for only $8 at Best Buy, I'll have to go grab it from there as well.

Just finished downloading it from Amazon. As soon as I get it uploaded to my music server, I'll give this a listen.

They've redone several Savatage tunes for this release actually. There's a song on here called, "Another Way You Can Die", which sounds like a spinoff of Blackjack Goullitine. They should've just let Zak sing the darned thing! I do like the new version of "Believe". Nothing will ever replace Jon's version, but the new one is interesting.

I think it's funny, because the TSO listeners are listening to metal at times and don't even know it! :lol:

~Brian~

Listening to the first disc, I couldn't help but feeling that I'd heard pretty much all of it before. Listening to the second disc, I couldn't help but feeling that I'd heard all of it before, on disc 1...and I'm not even talking about the refrainS(!). I don't think I've ever heard an album with so little quality material, spread so thinly, over such an egregiously long running time. As a huge, long time TSO fan, and with no hint of hyperbole, I'm going to go ahead and call this one of the biggest disappointments of all time for me.

They've redone several Savatage tunes for this release actually. There's a song on here called, "Another Way You Can Die", which sounds like a spinoff of Blackjack Goullitine. They should've just let Zak sing the darned thing! I do like the new version of "Believe". Nothing will ever replace Jon's version, but the new one is interesting.

I think it's funny, because the TSO listeners are listening to metal at times and don't even know it! :lol:

~Brian~

That's why the cover looking metal won't affect the non-metal crowd, which is probably 95% of TSO's market. I've been going to TSO shows since they started touring and although the content has changed very little, it's pretty much a full-blown rock concert now!! I remember in the early days, Johnny seemed to be holding back from headbanging - now, it's LET 'ER RIP!!

Chris :headbang:

Listening to the first disc, I couldn't help but feeling that I'd heard pretty much all of it before. Listening to the second disc, I couldn't help but feeling that I'd heard all of it before, on disc 1...and I'm not even talking about the refrainS(!). I don't think I've ever heard an album with so little quality material, spread so thinly, over such an egregiously long running time. As a huge, long time TSO fan, and with no hint of hyperbole, I'm going to go ahead and call this one of the biggest disappointments of all time for me.

Yep.
I was thoroughly disappointed. I like the fact that they have redone some Savatage tunes, but they are so watered-down, I wonder why they even bothered. Probably just an excuse to play them live for the non-Metal fans.
It will always be hard to completely give justice to 'Prelude to Madness' without Criss. IMO, Jon should be the only one allowed to sing 'Believe'.
But a lot of the other tunes are BOR-ING!
Perhaps this is one of those albums that you have to listen to a few times before it grows on you, but damn....I was expecting a Hell of a lot more.

Yep.
I was thoroughly disappointed. I like the fact that they have redone some Savatage tunes, but they are so watered-down, I wonder why they even bothered. Probably just an excuse to play them live for the non-Metal fans.
It will always be hard to completely give justice to 'Prelude to Madness' without Criss. IMO, Jon should be the only one allowed to sing 'Believe'.
But a lot of the other tunes are BOR-ING!
Perhaps this is one of those albums that you have to listen to a few times before it grows on you, but damn....I was expecting a Hell of a lot more.

Well, I'm not sure what the both of you were expecting. You can't find another band that sounds like TSO, but yet you complain when O'Neill releases TSO styled material. :err: With that said, I just thank God they're not trying to sound like Nickleback and 3 Doors Down.

~Brian~

I'm wondering if it isn't essentially just a case of overexposure. TSO rides one style and doesn't fix what isn't broken. So, if you shuffled their catalogue and listened in any random order, whatever album you hear first sounds fresh and exciting, and by the time you get to the last one it just sounds like treading water, regardless of sequence heard.

I agree - you know what you're getting with TSO. Broadway rock opera sounding music, with some awesome instrumentals mixed in. The rock-opera stuff does get samey, but they just light it up on any of the instrumentals.

It's worth it for the cheap first-week prices. Especially to have a metal cover of Tocatta in Fugue in D Minor! :headbang: Sounds like they slipped in Maiden's Phantom of the Opera riff as well. :)