Transportation info help.

EricT

Don't you ever get...
Aug 25, 2005
Lost In Necropolis
Yo,

Was wondering what the quickest, but still reasonably priced, way from O'Hare to the venue area was.

I saw a train (actually 2 if you count the transfer) on the Chi public transit system but it takes a good 2 hours.

Any other ways?

Also, the group I will be in getting to the venue area will be 3 people, including me.

Eric

I'm not familiar with the pub trans out to Mokena. It's a bit of a cruise from here so I always drive. I'm not sure why someone else hasn't offered you any info yet. Perhaps it was the Trouble show this weekend, etc.?

Will you be able to rent a car? It might be much easier that way but I understand the greater expense might be a negative for you.

Anyway, I hope you find a way there. It's not really that close to the airport.

no...it will be the two train deal....add more than 2 hours....the CTA...which you need to take to get to the Metra is going through major fixes so add more time. That is your only solution other than renting a car...which after all the trouble...may be your best bet. Between you and your freinds is shouldnt be that bad price wise. I would look into that.

I think, at previous ProgPowers, it was cheapest for groups of people to pool their money and rent a limousene. The cab fare is pretty outrageous from O'Hare to any of the outlying suburbs, and from what I understand, the limo service was a flat rate, cheaper, and more comfortable. I don't know all the details, though.

I would agree with the others who recommended renting a car.
If you are a member of a Motor Club like AAA or something, you should be able to score an economy car for a reasonable price / day.

It's not like you guys would be going off-roading, so you could probably even wave all the insurance options.

Yeah, that was one problem... or I'd just rent the car. AND I WOULD GO OFFROADING!

I'll look into the limo option, see how much that is...

With three of you not being old enough to rent, I'd look into some sort of shuttle service, there's plenty that head out to the Orland, Tinley, Mokena area I'm sure if you do enough digging.

Was taking a look at the shuttle costs, 83.00 each way... no good for that.

Got a few options I'm trying to work out, but if they all fail, the train is the backup.

The Metra trains are pretty comfy. The El trains are not as accommodating, especially if you're carrying luggage during rush hours and whatnot. Good luck with whatever you decide. Have a safe trip!

I looked at the Metra route map and schedule, and it looks like a long, confusing trip. If it was me, I'd pay the $80 or whatever each way for a shuttle or limo service and split it with a few other people.

Was taking a look at the shuttle costs, 83.00 each way... no good for that.

Got a few options I'm trying to work out, but if they all fail, the train is the backup.

That's expensive dude, you should be able to take a nice limo for that price down there. I'd keep looking.

Hey guys -

I just reserved some stuff at Enterprise yesterday for the fest, and I saw on my confirmation paper that it says "people from age 21-24 may rent economy to full sized cars with a major credit card". Go online on www.enterprise.com and choose the option that whomever a cardholds is is at least 21 (I hope?). They are also having a very cheap special right now for a weekend rate. Let me know if you need any other help. Just thought I'd pass this along so you have trasportation 24/7 AND it's cheaper than anything you guys are looking at right now. AND more reliable I hope.

*knocks on wood*

BTW, to rent a full sized car from Friday to Sunday, it's $83.56 for the entire time. You will probably have to pay a $10 fee each day for being under 25. If the cardholder is not the only driver, you must also pay $10 a day for an extra driver. STILL cheaper than the shit you guys are looking at right now. :)

Why doesn't someone who lives somewhat near the airport
and going to the show offer their metal brothers a ride?
It's a chance to make friends with some people who are into the same
music as our Chicago sisters and brothers -

We have actually acquired plans for a ride now. We just have to figure out a meeting spot...

So a new question: Anyone know any good meeting spots by O'Hare?