Trapped in the mixing hell! (real drums)

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hi dudes :kickass:

Sometimes I hate mixing. I´m sitting behind the drumset middle in the cable spaghetti, being near to despair. Maybe it isn´t that bad, what I did so far, but I have no idea and need some truth from you guys. My ears are dead!

Please ignore the guitars, they will be replaced after I got my baby back from the workshop with new pick-ups. It´s all about the fucking drums.

Do they work? Is it quality enough to tie on the last two M&M songs?

Here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2414899/Machines3_roughmix.mp3

And beside of the drums, what do you think about the riffs & stuff? This is a really early version of the song. I also consider using re-amping for the first time in one of my songs.

The drums are very nice. All natural?

EDIT: Nevermind, the 16th kick notes gave it away :p

Guitars seem a bit middy to me, it's a cool bit of song though. I'll get back to you about the artwork soon, been working on my own shit of late.:headbang:

The drums are very nice. All natural?

EDIT: Nevermind, the 16th kick notes gave it away :p

Thanks man!

You mean the doublebass part? Yeah, of course I had to edit it a little bit ;) The snare is replaced (60%)

Guitars seem a bit middy to me, it's a cool bit of song though. I'll get back to you about the artwork soon, been working on my own shit of late.

@Masterbeast, thank you!

Yeah it´s very middy, but this guitar and bass tracks are only temporarily to check how the drums are working in the mix.

No sweat, you already did some very, very nice work with the artworks. I wanna start building a page presence (myspace, facebook etc) for the Machines & Madness project after I finished this song.

Other than that, drums sound like they will definitely work.
:headbang:

Can't wait for final guitar/bass tone...

hihats sounds fake...

Hmm do you suppose I used replacement for the hi-hat? I hope you trust me, when I say, it´s real recorded. I used 7 microphones, one for kick, snare, 3 toms and two overheads.

It´s good to hear, the drumtrack seems to work. Thanks, dude!

Hmm do you suppose I used replacement for the hi-hat? I hope you trust me, when I say, it´s real recorded. I used 7 microphones, one for kick, snare, 3 toms and two overheads.

I believe you when you say that they are real... but I'm simply stating, that they sound fake to me... bring back some of the body of the hats with eq and it should be ok... hopefully.

I believe you when you say that they are real... but I'm simply stating, that they sound fake to me... bring back some of the body of the hats with eq and it should be ok... hopefully.

Hmmm I let the overheads quite untreated eq wise (except the 4khz and around 250hz a bit), as I recorded it. Maybe the 40% original snare brought the sound, you are talking about. I know, this isn´t cool to say that..but damn, I think it doesn´t sound fake at all :)

haha, no worries, man. Just my opinion... ultimately up to you... everyone's ears are different.

I can't wait for the finished song, though... thats all that matters. :headbang:

Thanks Mathew :kickass: Your opinion is always gladly heared. Important for me was that you guys giving me the "okay" for the drums generally to go on working. In another case, I´d have had re-recorded it (I´m a bit uncertain about my own playing).

This sounds like it's going to be a kick ass song.

Hell yeah, Kimon :headbang:

Btw the part at 1:17 is the beginning of the solo section ;) So you could actually prepare for it. You can play the solo til 1:39, then my solo begins (I´ll play some crazy tapping stuff along this staccato rythms). For the third solo I wanna ask Lasse (If he has time to do it).