Travis...

Detric

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Stralia`!
Just wanted to let you know that the cover art for Opeth`s Ghost Reveries sucks ass. Iam really disappointed. Thanks, that was all.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries cover art:

cover_ghost.jpg

Detric said:
Just wanted to let you know that the cover art for Opeth`s Ghost Reveries sucks ass. Iam really disappointed. Thanks, that was all.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries cover art:

cover_ghost.jpg

I really don't see the point of doing this. You don't like the Ghost Reveries cover art, end of the story.

As for as I'm concerned, I think it's brilliant and definitely a personnal favorite. Good job Travis!

I think you made some kick ass covers, no doubt about that.. but this one is just too...well..predictable and boring in my opinion..It looks familiar...Try something new, something refreshing yet very dreamy and distantly like some of your early covers...I know I sound like an asshole but I was just extremely disappointed... :(

Detric said:
I think you made some kick ass covers, no doubt about that.. but this one is just too...well..predictable and boring in my opinion..It looks familiar...Try something new, something refreshing yet very dreamy and distantly like some of your early covers...I know I sound like an asshole but I was just extremely disappointed... :(

I don't think you sound like an asshole. You have your opinion. One thing I've learned, if nothing else, is you can't please everyone all the time. And in these cases, the opinions of the people in the band are the ones I have to listen to first and foremost. If they're happy, then I'm happy.

Seems like Trav said:
I don't think you sound like an asshole. You have your opinion. One thing I've learned, if nothing else, is you can't please everyone all the time. And in these cases, the opinions of the people in the band are the ones I have to listen to first and foremost. If they're happy, then I'm happy.

:)

Isn't this cover inspired by Deep Purple's Burn ???
IMO it is mixture bitween this and Still Life :p

If Mikael wanted Rainbow cover like portrait inside then, why not use DP cover also as inspiration? I am shure he is fan of early Uriah Heep and Deep Purple ...

He has admitted several times that lots of riffs and lyrics are ripped from '70s prog bands...

ZeDzEdZeD said:
Isn't this cover inspired by Deep Purple's Burn ???
IMO it is mixture bitween this and Still Life :p

If Mikael wanted Rainbow cover like portrait inside then, why not use DP cover also as inspiration? I am shure he is fan of early Uriah Heep and Deep Purple ...

He has admitted several times that lots of riffs and lyrics are ripped from '70s prog bands...

My cover wasn't inspired by DP. I did a bunch of ideas and Mike picked the ones he liked and gave some direction. As for the other questions, I guess that's for him to answer.

i dig that cover art! it's definitely a piece of work!

uh and look, a King Crimson listener! Way to go man! :)

"Just wanted to let you know that the cover art for Opeth`s Ghost Reveries sucks ass. Iam really disappointed."

Wow... Just wow. What class.

Detric, what was the last CD cover you created for a band like Opeth? Maybe you can inspire Travis with your artistic brilliance, so he can stop sucking ass.

Novembers Paul said:
"Just wanted to let you know that the cover art for Opeth`s Ghost Reveries sucks ass. Iam really disappointed."

Wow... Just wow. What class.

Detric, what was the last CD cover you created for a band like Opeth? Maybe you can inspire Travis with your artistic brilliance, so he can stop sucking ass.
Good. Something needed to be said. Detric, you've somewhat redeemed yourself by at least sticking around to discuss the topic, but some tact next time would probably be better suited on this messageboard where Travis is clearly worshipped! :worship: Maybe a little constructive criticism next time, eh?

As for the artwork, personally I like it. It's not my favorite piece by Travis, but I really like the dark, unfocused nature of it. It reminds me of old photographs depicting haunted houses, ghosts and whatnot. It is simple, but effective given the album title and the lyrical content of the album (my first Opeth CD, so I have indulged)!! :headbang:

Also, Travis touched on it, as well, but the bands make the final choice on artwork! He may be the creative mastermind behind it all, but he is essentially an employee to the band, they are the boss. Not literally, of course, but you know what I mean. Don't be hatin'........yo?

Eyesore said:
As for the artwork, personally I like it. It's not my favorite piece by Travis, but I really like the dark, unfocused nature of it. It reminds me of old photographs depicting haunted houses, ghosts and whatnot. It is simple, but effective given the album title and the lyrical content of the album (my first Opeth CD, so I have indulged)!! :headbang:

This piece has actually become one of my personal favorites. Some say it's unfocused and some say the opposite, and I can see both sides of that. Truthfully, it's actually one of the most focused pieces I've done, in concept and simplicity. It does represent the old photo thing you describe, and it is supposed to do that foremost, as well as establish the mood right off. In the literal sense, it's supposed to say something in general about the themes within, and looks very direct. On the other hand there is a lot of symbolism in the elements and the way the elements are placed, and what they are. glad you like it. I do.

I somehow like it, but I like the pics in the booklet more, they are more essential (for example the gate with the skull oder the three ghost maiden). I would have taken the gate as the cover. ^^

Oh and trav, when will you finally show the new Riverside artwork? The new album (second life syndrome) is a killer, much better than the new opeth one in my opinion, pure magic. I nearly cried as I heard the new songs live two days ago. (and this I say as a big big opeth fan.)

e

I kind of like it, but I've somehow ruined my own impression of it. Everytime I look at it, I see a siluette of a somewhat dorky character in the window with eyes and mouth - the three dots. It looks like he's holding a axe and is preparing to attack.

But I like it. It's moody and nice. Seperates itself from a lot of the other Travis Smith pieces as well (as the opeth covers for some reason always seem to do. Great work!).

Crenshaw said:
I kind of like it, but I've somehow ruined my own impression of it. Everytime I look at it, I see a siluette of a somewhat dorky character in the window with eyes and mouth - the three dots. It looks like he's holding a axe and is preparing to attack.

Haha! Damn. I'm never going to be able to look at the cover the same.