Tried some amps today.

sprack

Thread Killer
Apr 13, 2002
Norrköping, Sweden
www.krnlpanic.org
Did some shopping today and tried out a couple amps.

Bogner Uberschall - by far the sweetest of the bunch. great, sweet, clear distortion. Beautiful, lush cleans.

Engl Fireball - the gain is there, but its all sterile and a little fizzy. the mid to highs just sound solid-state. Cleans were good.

Engl Savage - more gain than the FB, definitely more organic but again the highs sound SS. Forgot to try the clean channel.

Orange Dual Terror - not what I was looking for or expecting, but distinct, thick and fun. I want one just for some sludgy, chuggy death-n-roll.

VHT Pitbull - almost the same problem as the Savage. I'm still trying to digest how it differs from the Engls. I wasn't impressed.

I compared that to the Dual Rect, which I know and just keeps belting out great sounds and of the bunch I'd take the Bogner. Definitely the most character of the group. If I had cash left over, the Orange too.

My only direct exposure to Engl before that was my E530 which is alright, but I kept thinking about the E570. This soured me on Engl.There's an EVH 5150 III and a JSX in stock, should I demo those too or is the Uberschall a high bar?

I hve always wanted to play an Uberschall but have never even seen one in a shop! :(

The 5150III is definitely worth a play man. They're great amps.

Amarshism, how would you describe the Mark V's sound? I'm not opposed to another Mesa, I had a Dual Rect that's now in another friends studio, just curious how it compares since the Mark V and the Uber are in the same price range.

if a recto is your only tonal experience of a mesa, and you like where it was headed, id say youll love it

it has the hallmarks of a mark series amplifier if you have much exp with the iv or iic but with more tonal variety on offer

the tone is thicker and more harmonically rich then any of my previous 5 dual or triple rectos i just cant describe it
more clarity, thicker, more attack and crunch, i highly recommend you at least give it a shot

The uberschall I owned had far from a great clean channel... I think overall the amp is way overpriced for how it sounds and what options it has. I would much rather have the 5150 III even if they sold for the same price.

I have a JSX on the way now to try out... not sure yet, but I think I'm going to dig it from various things I've heard from Sneap and James Murphy that used it...

i've jammed a handful of times on the JSX, and absolutely love their tone. as i'm sure you've heard it's a pretty polished sort of sound - you'll never see them on the backline for a grindcore band - but still totally fucking rules, and is really flexible in terms of the sounds that you can get out of it. it also has, IMO, a great clean channel for a high-gain tube amp.

The uberschall I owned had far from a great clean channel... I think overall the amp is way overpriced for how it sounds and what options it has. I would much rather have the 5150 III even if they sold for the same price.

I have a JSX on the way now to try out... not sure yet, but I think I'm going to dig it from various things I've heard from Sneap and James Murphy that used it...

Gosh, the clean channel on my Uber sounds great I think ( its a rev blue ).
The amp is expensive though, I agree with that.
The lead channel is fantastic for lead but it has taken me a long time to figure out how to dial up a rythum tone that is not muddy, but I think I know how now.

The clean channel is so flexible that I use it for bass reamping as well as you can hear in these clips :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2785995/bass-HiGain-1.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2785995/bass-LowGain-1.wav

Tried the Triple Rect, JSX, EVH5150III and a Bugera 6262 today.

6262: Almost sizzly. Did not like. I have a Randall at the back of my closest for that shit.

EVH: Definitely a lead oriented amp. But it almost honks its so mid centric. It also sounds like it needs some compression. Not a bad sound, definitely an EVH sound, not what I'm looking for.

JSX: Very interesting. Great lead sound. When driven there's a lot of potential. Not the sound I'm looking for, but somewhere in the running. Thanks for the heads up. Glad I tried this one.

Triple Rect: Definitely closer to the Uberschall. I don't know how to describe the leads, its almost there, you crank it and the leads almost poke through the clouds. For chug/rhythm its right there with Uber. I A/B'd it with the Dual Rect. Triple, hands down and there's one local for $1000 so I might just pull and impulse buy.

They said they had a Mark V, but they sent it back for repairs. Will call me when its back to demo. Also asked to get a call when they get a 333(XL) or a Trirec just out of curiosity.

Dual Terror is cool. I've been using it, but lately I'm really loving my Laney VH100R. I think I'm gonna go back to that for future gigs.

6262: Almost sizzly. Did not like. I have a Randall at the back of my closest for that shit.

EVH: Definitely a lead oriented amp. But it almost honks its so mid centric. It also sounds like it needs some compression. Not a bad sound, definitely an EVH sound, not what I'm looking for.

JSX: Very interesting. Great lead sound. When driven there's a lot of potential. Not the sound I'm looking for, but somewhere in the running. Thanks for the heads up. Glad I tried this one.

Triple Rect: Definitely closer to the Uberschall. I don't know how to describe the leads, its almost there, you crank it and the leads almost poke through the clouds. For chug/rhythm its right there with Uber. I A/B'd it with the Dual Rect. Triple, hands down and there's one local for $1000 so I might just pull and impulse buy.

They said they had a Mark V, but they sent it back for repairs. Will call me when its back to demo. Also asked to get a call when they get a 333(XL) or a Trirec just out of curiosity.

They = Musicmakers? I'm curious because I live in Austin and never go to that store because they always close before I get out of work.

What cab(s) were you trying these through?

GC north has the ones I tried today. Triple and JSX are in the back right corner. EVH in the back middle. Someone bought the VHT. Guitar Resurrection has the Engl Fireball, Orange and Uberschall. Guitar Res was actually nice about letting us try that many amps, usually they almost want to see cash before you touch one. I should checkout Musicmakers, just heading south is kind of a pain.

They = Musicmakers? I'm curious because I live in Austin and never go to that store because they always close before I get out of work.

I ran them all through the Mesa Rect cab.

What cab(s) were you trying these through?

I realize in retrospect that the 5150 and JSX were voiced for standard tuning. Possibly the reason the Triple Rect and Uber stood out to me is they sounded great even in A-standard.