Trigger Kick not working for fast runs

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
I was recording a drummer yesterday that has some real fast Double Kick runs and my trigger would not pickup all the hits.

I'm using a DM5 and ddrum kick trigger.

For some reason it seems like it misses every other kick or so only during real fast runs.

Any recommendations on fixing this problem ?

yeah.. two kick drums with two seperate triggers will help... also, adjust the retrigger delay parameter in the DM5.. it may not be called exactly that, memory fails at this moment, but you should be able to figure out which parameter i mean.. you will need to adjust this to a shorter value. reading the manual would avoid these kinds of questions normally. if you have read the manual you are either doing it wrong and need to keep experimenting with settings... or you have a faulty trigger or DM5.

Ive expierienced the same thing using one kick drum. If you used a mic on the kick aswell you can solo that audio channel on you DAW and put a real tight gate on the channel setting so only the kicks are being heard then take a cable from your gated kick output to the input of your trigger unit, then retrigger it. Another way would be in your (matrix editor) Midi editor if you even chose to run you kicks in MIDI you can copy the hits of the one kick drum and paste them in accordance with the the others supposed to be there. I always run a midi channel just in case this happens, or at least a mic. It is never safe to run only a trigger because of this reason. GOOD LUCK!!!! And hope this helps........:Spin:

I'm sure James is dead on....but, if I were you, I would just plug the trigger straight into the board. The click is enough to be heard in the mix, and you can use it to trigger any kick drum tone within your editing program later.

Yeah, record the trigger track separately and replace it in the mix. Some drummers play fast parts so softly that it may require heavy editing to get all the hits loud enough.

Don't play russian rulet with drum modules ;)

We'll if your dm5 is like mine its a pain in the ass!!! First off it may have nothing to do with your trigger. What may be happing is you are running out of voices in the dm5. I would probally just run a mic and retrigger later. I've had the best luck running the roland td10 and a roland trigger.

I was always puzzled as to why my D4 was missing hits (seemed to be only when others played with it though, never when I played!). Tried all kinds of settings, no difference.
Eventually I got the ddrum4. And the problem got WORSE instead of better!

It wasn't until I started to record the trigger signal straight to tape (read: HD24) that I could CLEARLY see the reason: drummer play WAY softer with their odd foot. So I've learned how to edit it properly, it takes some time but it's worth it.

rhythmicpunisher said:
We'll if your dm5 is like mine its a pain in the ass!!! First off it may have nothing to do with your trigger. What may be happing is you are running out of voices in the dm5. I would probally just run a mic and retrigger later. I've had the best luck running the roland td10 and a roland trigger.

I agree the roland products are way more acurate and have more sensitivity settings with their own triggers mounted. I own a TD-8 and love it. The D-Drum triggers always broke and not to mention they seemed to always miss hits. I guess their a standard in the metal recording world, but their are better more reliable modules out there. Happy Tracking!!!:headbang:

No, you would then have to retrigger it post useing a software program like pro-tools. I realy don't like the action I get from the triggers so I just do it post. Now heres another idea You can also sample real drums and sync them over the drum trax. (Like drums from hell etc..) Put it like this Tomas Hokee din't play a note on catch 33 all they did was sample his kit and move parts where they saw fit. I ripped Vince pauls kick from 5 min alone for my last record. Or If you need a killer snare you can rip Nick menzas from countdown.

I only have Audition 1.5

And I don't understand retriggering, or what post means.

And how in the hell would you mic the drums and then sync up samples ? That sounds crazy to match up!