Triggers without module ? 0.o

jdolese1226

Jun 12, 2013
Louisiana
Sup guys, I have been reading a lot on using DDrum's pro triggers without the module. But I do not use Steven Slate Drum samples, say if I were to get the drum replacement stuff could I use my chango and joeys samples? How can I do this, I don't now how the drum replacement stuff works.

I've plugged a ddrum kick trigger straight into an interface and it was awful haha.
When you record straight in it's a really loud, sustaining, knocking sound.
You'll have to put a transient shaper and a gate on the audio file before putting on Slate Trigger or Drumagog.
Putting the shaper and gate before the drum replacer will help with mistriggering.

Nothing to it. Just picture the trigger is a microphone. Use any drum replacement software (Massey, Drumagog, Trigger, ApTrigger, whatever.) Just plug the trigger into a channel on your interface and record. Will most likely require some gain. I like using a trigger on my kick but I'd generally use microphones on snare and toms assuming my mic technique was decent and the bleed isnt terrible. I feel like I get a better range of velocities just based on the sensitivity of the microphones makes it feel more real without having to do to much doctoring in the replacement software. Which in most cases I don't want on my kicks. If you are patient you can cut and paste each sample in by hand on top of the trigger track. Just suggestions no right or wrong way.

\m/ \m/

Well thanks studdy! haha, well what do i do with all of my Kontakt Samples (they didn't come with drumagog and that stuff) they are just Nki's, how i can i use Kontakt with the replacement software?

If you're using drumagog you can trigger midi notes with it. You just have to route each channel to kontakt and assign the right notes to tell kontakt what samples to trigger. This can be a bit confusing tho and I don't recommend doing this with live triggering because of the latency

If you're using drumagog you can trigger midi notes with it. You just have to route each channel to kontakt and assign the right notes to tell kontakt what samples to trigger. This can be a bit confusing tho and I don't recommend doing this with live triggering because of the latency

Well if it can, then all I need it for is it to convert to midi, then move things according to, while mixing. Thanks I know wht my next purchase is!

If you have kontakt and a bunch of nki samples already you wont need to buy drumagog.
I'm sure what ever DAW you're using has an "audio to midi" or a "Transient to midi" funtion.
Turn the audio you recorded with the trigger into a midi file and use that midi file for kontakt.

If you have kontakt and a bunch of nki samples already you wont need to buy drumagog.
I'm sure what ever DAW you're using has an "audio to midi" or a "Transient to midi" funtion.
Turn the audio you recorded with the trigger into a midi file and use that midi file for kontakt.

wait seriously? i did not know this, ive been using Cubase 5 for years now. dude i feel so bleh haha, lemme look it up!

Yeah i think cubase has a thing called "hitpoints to midi" -function. I personally use in reaper the miditrigger-plugin to convert the transients into midi notes and use aptrigga to monitor so i dont have to listen to the cracks and pops while tracking and quantizing :D

Yeah i think cubase has a thing called "hitpoints to midi" -function. I personally use in reaper the miditrigger-plugin to convert the transients into midi notes and use aptrigga to monitor so i dont have to listen to the cracks and pops while tracking and quantizing :D

So, I can make specific hitpoints from say "Kick Track" to midi (key roll) C-1, then "Snare Track" to midi (key roll) D-1? Like assign a specific midi note differently to each track?

So, I can make specific hitpoints from say "Kick Track" to midi (key roll) C-1, then "Snare Track" to midi (key roll) D-1? Like assign a specific midi note differently to each track?

Not sure. I haven't used cubase in a long time. Hope you find a solution!