trip hop

Base Delta Zero

Senior Meatbag
Feb 12, 2006
I love Portishead.
I also get into the main stuff like Massive Attack, Tricky, Thievery Corporation, etc. I'm looking for more that I might not have heard.

Trip-hop is a pointless genre in my opinion, the only time people ever feel the need to bring it up is to mention Portishead, who I don't rate at all by the way.
having said all this, give Amon Tobin a go, you should enjoy some of it.

triphop is a somewhat loosely defined jazz-influenced style of music that like many alternative forms of electronica can be difficult to define what it 'is' exactly. Sure you can take crappy artists & say that the whole style sucks (portishead for instance) but that is a rather broad generalization.

One good example i think all of you might like (unless you're a caveman 'GRRRAAAAHHHH RAPE DEATH YOUR MUTTER RAPE DEATH MURDER KILL BLOOD ON MY DICCK GGRRAAAAAHH) is some of the tracks from the silent hill games made by akira yamaoka, who also made a lot of weird horror movie ambience. Actually you can find most of that for free these days here:
http://download.silenthillfever.com/#silent_hill

and thievery corporation can suck my dick!

I've been listening to "Third" by Portishead. And what am I missing? I listened at least 20 times, it sounds like a jumbled mess of electronica. Beth Gibbons voice is whiny. There are a bunch of people calling this their album of the year?? The future of music?? I don't get it.

I've been listening to "Third" by Portishead. And what am I missing? I listened at least 20 times, it sounds like a jumbled mess of electronica. Beth Gibbons voice is whiny. There are a bunch of people calling this their album of the year?? The future of music?? I don't get it.

Third has some good stuff on it, but it's very bleak. I much prefer the first two albums. You should check out the Live at Roseland dvd as well if you haven't. Portishead live with a full orchestra = awesomeness.

Im never one for genre classifications, but I think The Crystal Method would fit in here fairly well. Anyways, im sure you all know of them already...foreseeably for quite a while. But yeah, there album Vegas owns. Get it

My favorite trip-hop release is an old Mo'Wax compilation called Headz 2a. It's full of remixes and b-sides and it's generally rather difficult to find, but well worth hunting for. It looks like this:

mw061.jpg

Hmm, I just listened to some of Portishead's Dummy for the first time yesterday (though I'd heard a lot of them years ago from a friend of mine who's a fan). The sound is pretty interesting, and the vocals are fantastic, though I really have a hard time enjoying music that downbeat/depressy. Guess I should try some of the other artists mentioned above.