Triple Octave Death Screams

Soultorn

The Pain and The Darkness
Aug 11, 2002
Willits, CA
www.soultorn.tk
Does anyone with any studio knowledge know how to correctly put together a 3 octave scream (Sacrilege, "Feed The Cold")? I've heard you have to boost the low end quite a bit. Any more advice?

Well, what I mean is... there are three basic types of screams. there are your high pitched ones (Anders used these alot on Clayman) your middle range (which is different for alot of people....) and your low (Alot of brutal death metal acts use this... Kataklysm... Cryptopsy.. etc). If you layer these correctly for a heavy part (vocally) of a song... it can produce horryfiyingly evil results. I was wondering what kind of tweaks you'd need to do to get it sounding the way you want.
In response to Numbchuck.. yeah... my middles are good... I'm really proud of my highs, actually.. but the lows sometimes border on the hardcore vocal style, haha.
Once again, any advice is useful. If you have any on getting really deep throaty lows too that would be good.

That's not a triple octave scream. that is why Numbchuck replied the way he did. I thought you meant the same thing he did, like Rob halford laying down three screams, all an octave apart.
you just mean basic layering.

experiment. if you can't bust the low, do your lowest mid that sounds good and then pitch shift it down to your desired level. probly no more than a step though. then just adjust your volumes and eq til it sounds how you want it. figure it out.

It's may seem stupid, but if you round out your mouth (ooh) you should get a lower sounding growl. YOu do have to make it low yourself though. This is just a little trick for when you need that extra edge as far as growling low. Vocal training might help (don't laugh, it's true) to get your voice lower. As far as the triple octace, try an auto harmonizer or just record your voice on seperate tracks on different octaves. It does work better if you keep them on seperate tracks as apposed to layering on the same track, but you should experiment.

Octave pedal. Intelligent pitch shifter or harmonizer would be the only way to perform it live.

I wouldnt' suggest throwing layered tracks down that you can't reproduce live.

Nile is awesome, but from the sounds of it, they have technical difficulties EVERY show pulling of thier stuff. I noticed this when I recently saw them.

Good luck.

Originally posted by xenophobe
Octave pedal. Intelligent pitch shifter or harmonizer would be the only way to perform it live.

I wouldnt' suggest throwing layered tracks down that you can't reproduce live.

Nile is awesome, but from the sounds of it, they have technical difficulties EVERY show pulling of thier stuff. I noticed this when I recently saw them.

Good luck.

Yeah, that'd be a good option... but I play guitar as well, and it starts getting kind of funny when I'm dancing around like a fairy trying to use all my pedals and sing at the same time. The other band members can do backup vocals... i won't be exactly the same.. but it'll be close...

Well, it would sound MUCH better if you can get your backups to match the octaves you are playing.

I'm all for that.

I was only considering if you had to do it all yourself.

That's why I always think a vocalist should do nothing other than sing. I'm not much of a fan of having a guitarist or bassist sing, though there are great examples of where this works, I just feel that it's better to have each person responsible for a single duty...

Just remember to give each track of the scream it's own space in the stereo spectrum. As far as eq, that depends on you're own voice, mic, amp, etc. I would also try adding some nice heavy delay to one or two of the tracks.

And as far as being able to perform it live, screw that. Playing the song live and a studio recording are two separate entities. Do what ever the hell you want to on the studio recording and figure out a live version from there.

Originally posted by FrostGiant
And as far as being able to perform it live, screw that. Playing the song live and a studio recording are two separate entities. Do what ever the hell you want to on the studio recording and figure out a live version from there.

Agreed. Otherwise we'd need three guitar players on stage too.
Thanks for the advice, I'm getting some really good pointers here.
Another thing I've noticed, is in a layering likt that... the low seems to cut through everything else. That is odd, considering the human ear catches the higher notes more. This leads me to believe that there is some serious boosting of the low portion.
If any of you guys listen to Sacrilege (from gothenburg, of whom Daniel Svensson used to be in), there is a track on thier album "The Fifth Season" called "Feed The Cold" that has exactly what I'm talking about. It's right at the end of the second verse, and the lyric is "Enslaved". It completely blows my mind every time I hear it.
Another good example (and also a little more well known one) would be Dimension Zero. In the first track of thier new album... right near the bridge.... The lyric is "Madness is my believer". The layering there is also a good example of what I'm talking about, (though still not as profound as the former example). Are there any thigns you guys notice about that layering?

I just feel that it's better to have each person responsible for a single duty... [/B]

Im the complete opposite. If a dude is just going to sing then he better be one hell of a vocalist and an amazing frontman, otherwise there is no reason one of the guitarists or something couldnt' do it. i dunno. i prefer the stremlined lineup

i've only got like a two octave range that doesn't max out very high, so for parts where I need something higher, I just record the note I need, and use my friend's pitch bender built into his rackmount effects and bend it up an octave, and it actually sounds pretty decent. Though I've never tried to do three octaves, but I'm curious so I'm gonna try now. I usually just do basic fifths or fourths for double vocal harmonies.

And as for the whole bass end being more overpowering, I've noticed that a lot too... basically you just might night a good mixer to counteract that. My little four track cassette has nothing for mixing, but when i run it through my friend's cheap $50 mixer, I can fix it.

Originally posted by FrostGiant

Personally I think that's kinda lame. Nothing worse than hearing a half ass live attempt at doing something that can only be done in the studio...

I generally tend to laugh when I hear some band live and think "what the hell is this and why can't they play it like they recorded it..."

Just my opinion of course...

Just so you know, that's every band you listen too. Most people are too awestruck by the feel of a live show that they really don't listen to the music. Vocals can rarely be reproduced live as well as all of the different guitar track and effects. And BTW, bands rarely use the same equipment live as they do in the studio. Different amps, guitars, drums, etc.

Actually, I can't even think of a band off hand that plays everything live that they do in the studio.

Yeah. Agreed FrostGiant... but it is fun to try and get it as close as possible (to a certin degree). We try and use our album sound effects when we play a live show, actually. Gives the show a vibe to it... but, you can't reproduce everything.