Triple Octave Death Screams

this is why I think its important to perform exactly as the cd was recorded:
with SO many bands out there now competing for your dollar, and mtv and radio which has completely exiled aggressive music (no, not system of a disturbed bizkit, I mean genuine aggresion), the only way to build a fan base today is the old fashioned way, which the fuckers can never replace...touring.
the band that blows your head off at a festival is the one you remember the next day. not only will you go look for their music the next day, whether it is online or at your local independant record store, but the next time they come around you will be there, with friends.

if a band uses some insane 5 octave screaming on an album, I want my ears to bleed when I see them live. same with guitars or drums or whatever.
anyone ever see Mayhem live?? Hellhammers drumming?? oh my goodness that guy is a fucking machine!!

Yeah, that's the fun of it. But if it costs the same amont that it did in the studio to do.... you've got to cut some corners, I think... until a record label is paying for yor concerts. Anyone agree? You can do the best you can.. but there is still a line to draw.

wellllll...being realistic, the majority of the bands we may be referring to in this forum arent going to need big huge layered vocal tracks and samplers and triggers and all that crap, so the performance may consist of one DAT machine with a few samples, and maybe some keys (if they dont have one). then you have a band like CoF, who brings thier backup singer on the road with them, which I think is cool as hell. expensive too Im sure, but they are clearly reaping the awards of thier extra effort.

generally any label larger than a living room operation will provide at least SOME tour support. I think that for a band just starting out, or still very underground, it just comes down what one is willing to sacrifice for a long term goal, or out of commitment to an audience.

for the record though, Im not implying that a slicked up super dooper rock show is neccessary to kick peoples asses. not at all!
last year I saw Dillenger Escape Plan and it went like this:

lights went out. 5 normal looking dudes walked up to the stage and strapped on instruments. someone gave a 4 count. a strobe light flickered on. and they proceeded to BEAT THE LIVING SHIT out of anything that moved for the next 45 minutes, possibly the most intense musical experience I have ever witnessed. when it was over, NO ONE said a thing. the crowd filed out into the street and lit cigarettes and we all just looked at our feet and wondered what the hell just happened. I think some girls were crying...
no laser beams, no bombs, no hydraulic drum riser...just some dudes with guitars that played like a train wreck. it was my moment of clarity and someday I hope to thank them for it.

Originally posted by FrostGiant
Just so you know, that's every band you listen too. Most people are too awestruck by the feel of a live show that they really don't listen to the music. Vocals can rarely be reproduced live as well as all of the different guitar track and effects. And BTW, bands rarely use the same equipment live as they do in the studio. Different amps, guitars, drums, etc.

Actually, I can't even think of a band off hand that plays everything live that they do in the studio.

I'm not just talking about throwing your own solo over your rythm track or anything...

Many bands in the 80's, and amature musicians record their solo, add 5 harmony tracks, and layer their vocals, add samples...

I think it sounds lame.

Why create a studio masterpeice if you can't play it live?

I've always been a fan of keeping it simple, preforming it the same...

Yeah, I'm aware of the goodies and alterations to tone and use of gear in the studio.

I think when you do too much, it doesn't reflect what the band is really about, just what studio goodies one can add...

Just opinions though... feel free to create a rythm, add harmonies that you can't preform live, overdub solos to make them more palletable... So I'll dig your CD and ridicule you when you're on stage. That's your choice. :lol:

So you think if you recorded a bands live track, it should come out exactly the same as the studio version? Then why do bands spends weeks in the studio to get the sound? Truthfully, most people can't recognize the difference, it's the same song, same melodies, but the difference is there are live people on stage and a crowd of people, as well as the music being very loud. All the core elements are there... and just an added shot of energy. What happens.. if, say, a band happends to scrounge up enough cash to go record in a good studio? They have to spend that much every show? I mean, c'mon, I'm sure you've recorded already. It's a pain in the ass. It puts your "live music" you play in that studio under a microscope. The things that bands "add" such as harmonies and the like... can be a goal to do at a live show.... but I think it's totally ridiculous to say that a band should sound exactly the same. If that was the case... why don't you just put in the CD and blast it with a bunch of your friends?

Keep taking my quotes out of context... thanks.

If you're in a Death Metal band you should know well as I that you don't create what you can't do live.

I don't think Nile has ever pulled off a show without having technical difficulties or had a hard time "pulling it off".

They were really good live, but everyone I've talked to has said the same thing I did... that they have problems.

Whatever.

Maybe you should learn to read a bit better.

Well then what ARE you trying to say? What do you mean by "you don't create what you can't do live"? I'm not totally against your opinion, but there must be a reason you feel that way... besides Nile.

Well, I saw nile awhile ago and when I saw them they had no "technical Difficulties" and were quite amazing, very good live :headbang: