Trying out a new mic pos on the EnglXXL. AxeFX/MetalFoundry.

TheDude

Jocke Skog
Jan 8, 2007
Stockholm - Sweden
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/315378/stuff/Recto_Red.mp3

I was playing around with a single SM57 on the EnglXXL, trying to get some sort of Generic mic position, that "sounds good, but not too extreme". I flipped through some amps in the AFX (7.18) and stopped at the Recto Red, a bit surprised. No special advanced tweaks except a "TS808" as a boost in front. No external processing except HP at 80Hz and LP at 10kHz which I could've done in the Axefx anyway. My new favourite, at least this week. ;)

It's a total of four guitars, so when they all play the same thing, it's quad tracked. Intro git has another EQ for that mid-feeling. The quiet mid is just the neck pickup without the boost and the volume a bit lower on the guitar.

Gibson SG with EMG81/85 pickups. A clean Ampeg bass patch with the Steinberger 5-string and Toontracks Metal Foundry for drums. The whole thing was done in less than an hour so the riffs don't really fit together, but the Recto Red manages to keep up with them all.
thumbs_up.gif

Bass on AxeFX too? How is that thing for non-guitar stuff, I haven't really seen much info about it's capabilities with other instruments (admittedly haven't looked very far but the specs I've seen make no mention of bass modelling?)

Bass on AxeFX too? How is that thing for non-guitar stuff, I haven't really seen much info about it's capabilities with other instruments (admittedly haven't looked very far but the specs I've seen make no mention of bass modelling?)

It contains an Ampeg SVT and a couple of IR's. Add a "Rat" in front = Instant brutal basstone. There's all possibilities to split/tweak it as in a real situation.

very awesome!

i dont suppose you made an impulse of that mic position? haha.

cool. which one is it?

I can't remember the model, but it's 3200W bridged mono, and it's a bit old, so...

I'm loving all the hi-hat details on the TMF clips I've heard so far.

I have 5 different pads with hihat from closed to open, but I think it has 9-10 different articulations or more. Ridiculously good.

very awesome!

i dont suppose you made an impulse of that mic position? haha.

Thanks and no. At least not yet. ;)

The tone is nice a clear. The playing is solid. Toontrack should be using this as a selling point for their Metal Foundry. WHERE'S THE PRESET HUH? :heh:

I really liked to hear a less djenty tone from the axe-fx (and from you *haha*).
Sounds absolutely great. Makes me wanna get an axe-fx...
Quick question on that:
With the axe-fx, a stereo power-amp and two cabs of course it's easy to emulate a dual-amp-setup for live-situations, right?

I love Metal Foundry so far and this clip does it absolute justice. +1 on the hihat-thingie that has been said...