Trying to dance

Allan

New Metal Member
Jun 22, 2003
Copenhagen
Visit site
I was reading through old threats, mainly the ones I saw Danny and Duncan posting in, trying to grasp Anathema, from 97 and some 2 years on I knew nothing of Anathema but their music and a drunken comment by the guy that introduced me to them about it being really beautiful because the guy had lost his wife. I have never been able to compare Anathema to any other music, it's unlike anything else to me. Back in 97 I tried to play it to my friends, I have never forgotten, it was late and we had been drinking and where all about to fall asleep amidst drunken ramblings, I put on "Eternity" and no one said a word untill "Ascension" brought them out of it, then one said he had to go home and we all went home not saying much. I noticed they were listening through it all though and I noticed their look of amazement. None of them have ever said anything about it or listened to Anathema since, I asked one of them about it and he said something about it being too much, too dark, he even said too beautiful. I thought about this for a long time yesterday when I passed a girl on the street who was crying without attempt to hide it, and I found myself wanting not to notice it.
Untill 1999 when I heard of Duncan leaving and read some articles on the net of the turmoil in the band, I ignorantly thought that these people from Anathema must have been so at peace with themselves, to make such emotional music, free of hate, free of God concepts and free of self pity. so real.
People ask why I like depressing music. The concept depressing music is ridiculous. Music can make you think of things that are depressing but it can't be depressing in itself. We need to think of the things that are depressing, again "If the truth hurts, prepare for pain". And more importantly emotional music is more often sad because we most often recognise the beauty of life when we're separated from it. It is not the sadness I like, it is the beauty/love/life it describes/depicts. "Wasted moments won't return", (the obvious Eminem quote), "Life is but a memory, happened long ago, theatre full of sadness, for a long forgotten show, seems so easy, just to let it go on by, 'til you stop and wonder, why you never wondered why".
I've rad one review of Anathema in a Danish newspaper, it was of "Judgement" and ended: "Music for hard men with soft hearts". Have got to hate that.
And why did I write this, I don't think it was my lust for respect. An attempt to explain Anathema's lack of commercial success, to explain our loneliness or at least share mine. I'm not really sure.

Allan said:
The concept depressing music is ridiculous. Music can make you think of things that are depressing but it can't be depressing in itself.

It fucking can if it's proper doom.

And use that return key or whatever to form proper paragraphs. It would make your babblings more readable.

Har* said:
And use that return key or whatever to form proper paragraphs. It would make your babblings more readable.

Various teachers and professors have told me that a milliontimes, but I don't want to make a new paragraph if I feel I'm saying something directly connected to the previous.

Even if I might be the only one seeing the connection.

Babblings?

Could you be a bit more specific in your criticism?

It was sort of streamofconciousness like.

streamofbollixnessmorelikeidontfeellikeusingspacesbetweenwordscosallthewordsarerelatedtoeachotherandsoiwontyoushouldrespectmydecision

Relax people, he is just expressing his opinions...
Anathema's music is very honest. It's like looking in the eyes of a baby. It can't be not beatifull. But if you 're older it also has a touch of infinite sadness in it. For everything that you feel that goes wrong. For every beautifull thing that didn't find the water it needed to blossom in such a world.

Allan said:
Various teachers and professors have told me that a milliontimes, but I don't want to make a new paragraph if I feel I'm saying something directly connected to the previous.

Even if I might be the only one seeing the connection.

Babblings?

Could you be a bit more specific in your criticism?

QUOTE]Bambi's answer is better anyway so I don't bother commenting. Except listen your teachers.

And this forum must be proper doom for people who speak english as their native language, like.

I dunno, I've seen some babies with some right horrid eyes...

Elmarad said:
Relax people, he is just expressing his opinions...
Anathema's music is very honest. It's like looking in the eyes of a baby. It can't be not beatifull. But if you 're older it also has a touch of infinite sadness in it. For everything that you feel that goes wrong. For every beautifull thing that didn't find the water it needed to blossom in such a world.
It's better to breath occasionally when making an opinion. Babies suck. Infinite sadness makes me happy in strange kind of blue way.

I didn't make many paragraphs, so fucking what.
If you want to imply what I said was cheesy/childish whatever, say something real, instead of this pretending to know better without really saying anything crap .

And your reaction fits some of what I was saying, now I'm doing the pretending to know better without really saying anything crap. It's really easy.

Allan said:
I didn't make many paragraphs, so fucking what.
If you want to imply what I said was cheesy/childish whatever, say something real, instead of this pretending to know better without really saying anything crap .

And your reaction fits some of what I was saying, now I'm doing the pretending to know better without really saying anything crap. It's really easy.
no offense from my part :erk:. Content of this forum is mostly bollox (contains my posts also) and your opening on this thread was in fact quite nice for a change. It just was hard to read without paragraphs.

Har* said:
no offense from my part :erk:. Content of this forum is mostly bollox (contains my posts also) and your opening on this thread was in fact quite nice for a change. It just was hard to read without paragraphs.

If I sounded angry it was because of Bambi's post. And yes, I know, must make more paragraphs.

I just think it's silly to say "music can't depress you but it can make you think of depressing things", 'cos when you think of depressing things, you get depressed like. No?

Light said:
I just think it's silly to say "music can't depress you but it can make you think of depressing things", 'cos when you think of depressing things, you get depressed like. No?

you may get a little sad or something, but really depressed?
don't think so, no!

Bambi said:
wow bastet can read minds!! first ya figure out that its *MAN* behaviour :erk: that causes ppl to post and now you know what makes light tick!! (even poor light doesnt know that!!) :lol:any tips for the 2:30 at aintree bud?? :D