Tunes and Football, or Futbol....

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
For some it's been a while, for other maybe not long enough. I'm back! Today anyway.
Here's some choice stuff that I have been listening to for the better part of a month....

Symphorce-Godspeed. I think they finally got it, this is a killer record and quickly made it into my top 10. If you own only one power metal record from 2005, let it be this one.

Vivian Campbell-Two Sides of If. I didn't know how well this would go over. A Blues record by a guy that from Ireland?! WTF?! This guy is known more for his work in Leppard, playing and bad mouthing his former employer Dio. This record smokes! It's hard to believe this guy just discoverd blues music, it makes sense though, the blues is where music really started... Pick this one up if you are a fan of blues music, plus it also features the Reverend Billy Gibbons on two tracks!

Some other records that are worth mentioning:
Masterplan-Aeronuatics... Thanks Wyvern, it surpases the hype!
Ricky Warwick-Love Many Trust Few, it's not metal, but great songs and gets better with each spin!
Anthrax-Anthrology, this will tide you over until you pick up the records that you might be missing in the collection... The French version of Anti-Social is a nice addition...
I just got a review copy of the new Buddy Guy record, I don't even remember the title, it's sweet has Santana on a track!

Looking forward to the Edguy Superheros E.P. it's just around the corner, I have a review copy on it's way...
Speaking of Edguy, I managed to get an interview, it was supposed to
Tobias, but the PR people fucked it up and I got one of the guitarists....
Talk about improvising?! I had to think of questions off the top of my head for the guy, as most of the questions were specifically for Tobias! We'll see how it turns out? I haven't even reviewed the tape. There is a salute to one of UMOS' very own in the interview. You'll have to wait to read it. Let me plug the site: www.pivotalrage.com/webzine

The cream of the crap:
Gene Simmons has brought back Simmons Records from the dead, the first release is BAG, avoid this folks. Don't let Gene get anymore of your money. I got a review copy and it is one of the most awful things I have ever heard in my life....
Rob Rock-Holy Hell... Nice title, cliche' name, everthing that is wrong with power metal on one disc! If someone who had never heard power metal in their life heard this and judged the genre by this release, they'd panned the entire genre!. Don't let this record prevent you from exploring the genre....

The NFL in Mexico? That was nice, at least there weren't any riots?
I think the 49ers should have not been allowed into the country for their miserable performance! Alex Smith looked good and should have been the starter in the first place. Hell he's making 45 million bucks?!

I was at the Seattle game when the Falcons lost to the Seachickens.
Was I disappointed? Yeah, to the least, but thos Chickens are tough at home... Maybe next time they travel to Atlanta?
The Colts finally have a defense and are looking like the Bucs that Dungy coached....
Here's my top SIXX:
The Colts
The Falcons
The Eagles-Their days are numbered....
The Bucs-Cadillac Will be Offensive Rookie of the Year
The Steelers-Yes, even with their loss to the Patriots....
The Bengals.... Did they sneak up on us or what?

In the Superbowl?
Atlanta to face the Colts....

Welcome back Sixx! Nice reviews. I am curious about the Rob Rock review. I don't have 'Holy Hell' but I do own the last two discs he put out. I enjoy them quite a bit and even seen them opening for Savatage on the 'Poets and Madmen' tour. I thought they were great and bought thier CD at the gig. (Rage of Creation) Is this on par with those releases? If you've heard them.

By the way when I seen his band live he had a guitarist that was unbelievable! Not only did he smoke as a player, but he was disabled. Hard to explain, but he didn't really have his whole arms or hands. Amazing is the only thing I can say. His name is Rick Renstrom and here is his site if anybody wants to check it out. http://www.rickrenstrom.com/ Looks like he isn't in his band anymore, but I thought I'd throw out the link anyway.

Oh , and your football picks. I agree with Cadillac, if he's not out to long with this injury. I'm not sure about Atlanta with Vick being banged up once again. I'm still not sure if Manning or Dungy can win a big game yet. We'll see. To early to tell for most teams. The only thing that's for sure is the NFC north sucks monkey balls. I wouldn't be suprised if a team under .500 wins that division. My Bucs haven't played anybody good yet, but 4-0 is very nice after starting 0-4 last year!:D A couple more weeks should sort out who's really good and who's not.

I have been listening to the new Pagans Mind quite a bit these days. It is a mind numbing disc.

As far as football, those are good picks. Despite having two losses, I thinhk The Patriots are still a force to deal with as are The Giants. They look pretty good and have more weapons offensively than the Redskins. The NFC North is pitiful. I could see a team with a losing record win that division.

Bryant

I dont know the Colts are playing some mighty fine football but they def. need
to get that offense on full speed I mean yeah we killed Tennesee but thier
defense was a bit pitiful I bet that Pac Man guy will learn to keep his mouth
shut. But I know the true tests with the Steelers and the Patriots plus the Bengals are yet
to come. And Off topic Artest is back this year I wonder what kind of
shenangens he's going to get into.

sixxswine said:
Masterplan-Aeronuatics... Thanks Wyvern, it surpases the hype!

Rob Rock-Holy Hell... Nice title, cliche' name, everthing that is wrong with power metal on one disc! If someone who had never heard power metal in their life heard this and judged the genre by this release, they'd panned the entire genre!. Don't let this record prevent you from exploring the genre....

First, welcome back Sixxi:Smokin:

Second interesting quote I extracted from you. I'll never consider Rob Rock power metal, it's heavy metal (and I don't even like his voice) and that's it. On the other hand Masterplan is power metal and very well done IMO, all the usual cliches and bugs present in all the average/mediocre bands that supoposedly play power metal (or flower like some :zombie: call it) are NOT present in "Aeronautics".

Here you go...
Rob Rock? I have heard some of his other works, I have to say that
even his awful stuff with Chris Impellitteri is better than this and that
barely qualifies as music...
People have very little faith in Vick making it past injury. Doubters, he will start against the Patriots, at The Georgia Dome... Which is now the home of the next Superbowl that NOLA has flooded...
The road to the NFC Championship right now goes through Tampa Bay, but wait they've yet to play The Falcons... If ATL can split one of the meetings, it's possible... And before you count them out, remember they have a very capable back up in Matt Schaub, he also has wheels...

sixxswine said:
Rob Rock? I have heard some of his other works, I have to say that
even his awful stuff with Chris Impellitteri is better than this and that
barely qualifies as music...

As I said before I don't like Rob Rock voice, even so I do own Warrior - "Code Of Life" and it's quite digestable. Some of the songs with Impelliteri are quite good but never cared enough to own any album.

sixxswine said:
For some it's been a while, for other maybe not long enough. I'm back! Today anyway.

Symphorce-Godspeed. I think they finally got it, this is a killer record and quickly made it into my top 10. If you own only one power metal record from 2005, let it be this one.

Looking forward to the Edguy Superheros E.P. it's just around the corner, I have a review copy on it's way...
Speaking of Edguy, I managed to get an interview, it was supposed to
Tobias, but the PR people fucked it up and I got one of the guitarists....
Talk about improvising?! I had to think of questions off the top of my head for the guy, as most of the questions were specifically for Tobias! We'll see how it turns out? I haven't even reviewed the tape. There is a salute to one of UMOS' very own in the interview. You'll have to wait to read it. Let me plug the site: www.pivotalrage.com/webzine

Welcome Back 006! I'm glad your Diggin the new Symphorce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! besure to read all our reviews to find out how much ass they kicked at Progpower!!!! :D ... very nice guys too ... I personally dont think that Godspeed tops Twice Second but that is just me

As for the Superheros E.P. lets just say I hope the album is better than the EP .... maybe it will grow on me ... but I am having a real hard time getting into it ....anyways cant wait to read the interview! Good to see you back in action dude!!!!!

GO VIKINGS!!! Ah, fuck, who am I kidding? Only thing going for my norsemen is everyone else in the division sucks too. I hang my head in shame, and beg yer pardon. thankee, sai.

New releases I'm jammin' on these days: Nevermore, Symphorce, Iommi/Hughes, Opeth, Sabaton.

Plus some recent purchases of old classics: Fastway/All Fired Up, Megadeth Greatest Hits, Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian box set, Styx - Wooden Nickel Recordings

NP: Iommi/Hughes - Fused

Good to see you back!

sixxswine said:
Symphorce-Godspeed. I think they finally got it...

I think they always had it but yeah, I like Godspeed quite a bit. It has yet to dethrone Phorceful Ahead or Twice Second. But there's plenty of time for that to happen.

sixxswine said:
Vivian Campbell-Two Sides of If. Pick this one up if you are a fan of blues music

Duly noted and added to the to-buy list. Always liked Viv and always liked the Blues. What a combo!

sixxswine said:
I just got a review copy of the new Buddy Guy record, I don't even remember the title, it's sweet has Santana on a track!

Oh my! Yet another added to the list.

sixxswine said:
The NFL in Mexico? That was nice, at least there weren't any riots?

I was at the Seattle game when the Falcons lost to the Seachickens.

In the Superbowl?
Atlanta to face the Colts....

NFL in Mexico? Dumb. They did it so they wouldn't have to black out one of SF's games.

Tough luck on the Falcons/Seahags game. You could always come to Prog Power next year and hope they have a home game that weekend.

My preseason pick for the SB was Broncos/Falcons.

SavaRon said:
Oh , and your football picks. I agree with Cadillac, if he's not out to long with this injury. I'm not sure about Atlanta with Vick being banged up once again.

Though I am a semi-local to Atlanta, I am a die hard Steeler fan, though I watch the Falcons often enough as my Dad and brother pull for them. Having said that, Vick IS replaceable. Two years ago, their OL couldn't pass protect for 2 seconds and the pitiful backups they had were on their back more often than vertical. Schaub (Vick's current backup) is "the real deal" though. I am not sure they wouldn't be better with Schaub starting (after he takes his rookie lumps) as he actually runs pretty well and is a better passer than Vick. Schaub actually runs well enough that The Falcons don't change their playbook when he is in there.

Bryant

SavaRon said:
The only thing that's for sure is the NFC north sucks monkey balls. I wouldn't be suprised if a team under .500 wins that division.

Sorry I made my reply right after yours. I just read all of the replies today. I feel like a dork, but I suppose I emphasized how bad the NFC NOrth is eh ?

Bryant

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
GO VIKINGS!!! Ah, fuck, who am I kidding? O

Dude I owe you a serious noogie !!! I have Culpepper and Burleson on one of my FF teams. Daunte scored me negative points twice. I am stinking the joint up because of that pick.

Bryant

Wheezer said:

Denver is strong, but I am still not convinced they can get over "the Snake" syndrome. Jake has always had problems being overly streaky. He is getting better about it, but I am still not convinced. Jake reminds me of Warren Moon and Dave Krieg. When they were good, they were really really good, but when they were bad, they were really really bad.

Bryant

Welcome back Sixx :Smokin:

Agreed on Masterplan!

Disagreed on Rob Rock though :p This is just plain straightfoward heavy metal to me, similar to the last Bruce Dickinson solo records.

I kinda agree and disagree about Rob rock... First I heard about them was live when they opened for Masterplan and they were very good. After that I heard the Holy Hell record. first I liked it but got bored pretty quickly. It's a bit cheesy compared to their live act. Especially chorusses. But still, if they pass by I WILL go and see them again, excellent live band...
Anda .. Welcome back ;-)

Oh yeah, football...We have a thing called football here (soccer)...Pretty gay thing with guys acting like they are hurt most of the time...Wish we had some real football here, or better; Australian Rugby !!!

Wheezer said:
NFL in Mexico? Dumb. They did it so they wouldn't have to black out one of SF's games.

Tough luck on the Falcons/Seahags game. You could always come to Prog Power next year and hope they have a home game that weekend.

Can you believe that Arizona was the home team for that game?
Alex Smith, in two years will be the shit...
You know what, that sounds like a plan, a ATL home game at the dome....
Well, I hope it's no the :puke: Donkies, but if it is, It will be a blow out...

Bryant said:
Dude I owe you a serious noogie !!! I have Culpepper and Burleson on one of my FF teams. Daunte scored me negative points twice. I am stinking the joint up because of that pick.
Dude, lemme give you some advice. NEVER put Culpepper on your fantasy team until AFTER he has a few good games in a row! Like Moon and Kreig mentioned in this thread, Culpepper is prone to really good (or really bad) streaks. I've had a love/hate relationship with him ever since he arrived. Mostly hate because he always chokes in the big games. :puke:

NP: Russell Allen's Atomic Soul