Turks

Don Corleone said:
as i was going down the thread, i knew i'd bump into the midnight express somewhere. and i did.

come on, how can anyone really buy that stuff? that movie was really cheap. even bill hayes (the guy who was arressted) said he received no treatment of that sort. but it was really funny to see all those armenian actors try to speak in turkish, though lolol. good soundtrack, by the way, if i remember well. and dont get me wrong, turkey has a lot to be ashamed of...but anyone who appreciates good art shouldnt fall for that one...neither for "not without my daughter"...remember that movie about iran? bollocks

1. That movie was NOT cheap. It won the academy award for the best script and music. Was the opening film in Cannes '78. The director was godly Alan Parker and the screenplay writer was Oliver Stone. It is a very good film.

2. The film was based on a book about one man's real life experiences in a Turkish prison. BUT, the script has nearly nothing to do with the book! After the lead actor is captured, the rest of the film is FICTIONAL. If you do not believe me read the book yourself, which in fact was released before the film.

I can go out and say it is a morally degenerated film, because even though it says it is "based on actual events", it is not, in fact all the characters in prison are 100 % fictional. The real prison was built in '60's and the one in the film is ancient. And the portrayal of Turks as Arabs is typical rascism.

But if you see the film as a completely fictional work, then it is a great one. I can agree with some things mentioned in the film though, police brutality etc... But then watch "OZ" to see the way the USA prisons are. They are corrupt anywhere.

As for the minorities in Europe, it is Europeans' fault: you must learn to protect your home!! Watch "Straw Dogs" and don't give tolerance. And if you don't, don't whine.

travisbickle said:
1. That movie was NOT cheap. It won the academy award for the best script and music. Was the opening film in Cannes '78. The director was godly Alan Parker and the screenplay writer was Oliver Stone. It is a very good film.
the academy award? oh come, so that's a criterium for a good movie? the titanic won 13 of them. hahahaha you gotta be kidding me

and yes alan parker WAS a good director (angela's ashes and evita were utter crap, but the wall and birdy are excellent...back in the 80s) and oliver stone is an excellent writer-director. but i dont judge a movie by its names, but by what i see.

2. The film was based on a book about one man's real life experiences in a Turkish prison. BUT, the script has nearly nothing to do with the book! After the lead actor is captured, the rest of the film is FICTIONAL. If you do not believe me read the book yourself, which in fact was released before the film.
errr, what does that have to do with anything i said? i havent read the book and merely care for the movie but my problem is those foreigners with shallow views who end up judging turkey by that movie. that movie was made for a reason (definitely not 100% artistical) and it needs to be pointed out.

I can go out and say it is a morally degenerated film, because even though it says it is "based on actual events", it is not, in fact all the characters in prison are 100 % fictional. The real prison was built in '60's and the one in the film is ancient. And the portrayal of Turks as Arabs is typical rascism.

But if you see the film as a completely fictional work, then it is a great one. I can agree with some things mentioned in the film though, police brutality etc... But then watch "OZ" to see the way the USA prisons are. They are corrupt anywhere.
yep, i agree with you there whole-heartedly, but i still dont like the movie. yes of course, like i said before, my country has a lot to be ashamed of but that movie showed an overly distorted view of reality. cinematography was lost while trying to give the message that turkey is a shithole.

cedarbreed said:
haha not in me town but We've got nearby towns called Choisy le Roi and Bourg la Reine, which mean, if you don't take into account the spelling : Choose the King and Screw the Queen.

:lol: In Pennsylvania we have a town called Beaver and a park called Bird-In-Hand. I was on a road trip somewhere and there was a place called Sodom Road.

In england we have places like Hull Halifax Bangor runcorn. Its not at all exciting.

Id like to go to Turkey. Get some knock off calvin kleins and enjoy the sun.

MoonsOfJupiter said:
Can anyone recommend some Turkish food? I don't think I've ever tried any.
Bulgur...
bulgur.jpg

Böregi...
TavukluZarfBoregi.jpg

Imam Bayildi ("The Imam Fainted" :loco: ) ...
imam_bayildi.jpg

Baklava...
dessertPic_05.jpg

some recipes here :D
yum yum yum... :dopey: