Turned off the cable today

UFORocks

Dec 2, 2009
I don't want to pay $80 a month to watch commercials anymore. The customer service guy was completely miffed, he didnt understand that we just didn't want to watch 400 channels of pure crap any more. He was absolutely sure that we were switching to another provider, and thus completely determined to keep our business. I finally had to lie to the guy and tell him that we'd found God and that TV was the devil just so he'd stop offering me promotions.

My wife is cool with it, but I think there's gonna be some withdraw for both of us.

At least that's one less reason to sit on my ass.

Lol wtf? I agree though. We have like 40 channels or so but I only watch like 6 of them:p That is when I actually DO watch TV.

I don't have a TV because I refuse to pay a TV licence to the BBC. Though I have to say I watch Eastenders on iPlayer :lol:, and I do tune in to Eggheads on iPlayer. I love to geek out over that!

Apart from that, I don't have anything to do with TV.

I watch TV very rarely..and when i do i usually fall asleep..and its never anything good on.

I don't watch any TV, only watch DVD's like Red Dwarf and even the occasional film! Do you even need a TV license to watch DVD's?

if your TV has the potential to connect to the broadcast u have to pay for a tv licence, i had this problem in 1st year uni, i refused to pay for tv licence when i was just using my tv to play on ps2 n watch dvds, but i was still meant to pay a licence still because it has a socket where i cud plug an aerial in, never did pay for one lol
We have freeview in the house now, but i rarely watch it, i just download films n tv shows, stick em on my external harddrive n watch em on big tv thru the ps3 :D

Well, since we didn't have any TV to watch my wife and I went for a walk down by the UofD. We stopped in a local music shop called Rainbow, I picked up two MSG and one Motley Crue for $10, and the wife got two Elton John records. I couldn't find any Iron Maiden though. Apparently the owner is a huge fan so none of them ever see the shelves. *shrug*.

Not having cable is kinda liberating...

Sucks that you all in the UK have to pay a licensing fee just to own a TV. Is it a regular tax or a one-time fee?

That Tv License thing sucks ass. In Spain we dont have any of that. I cant believe they make you pay 100 quid a year....Where does that money go though?

That Tv License thing sucks ass. In Spain we dont have any of that. I cant believe they make you pay 100 quid a year....Where does that money go though?

To the BBC, who, to be fair, do make the best television programs, news reporting and generally have the highest standards of broadcasting. And no adverts. Almost worth £100 a year, though not quite...

Oh I see. So instead of getting their money from adverts they make you pay 100 quid a year..... Youre quite right about the BBC though, they make great TV. The best in the world maybe. IMO