Sirius/XM/cable

remember a while back we were talking about Howard Stern and FCC regulation of satellite/cable...well, the Republicans are on the move....

GOP wants to censor Cable and Satellite Radio now, too
by Joe in DC - 3/2/2005 10:19:00 AM

Wow, these Republicans are so obsessed with sex, it is amazing. Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK) and Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) want to regulate what you can watch and hear on cable, including HBO, and satellite radio, now, according to Reuters.

Two top U.S. Republican lawmakers on Tuesday said they want to apply broadcast decency standards to cable television and satellite television and radio to protect children from explicit content.

Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Stevens said he would push legislation this year to accomplish that goal and House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Joe Barton said he would back it if it does not violate free speech rights.

"Cable is a much greater violator in the indecency area," Stevens, from Alaska, told the National Association of Broadcasters, which represents hundreds of local television and radio affiliates. "I think we have the same power to deal with cable as over-the-air" broadcasters.

"There has to be some standard of decency," he said, but noted that "no one wants censorship."

Stevens cited the discussion of masturbation and sex toys during prime time television as one example of content that bothered him. He told reporters he would extend the restrictions to premium channels like HBO as well.​

yeah, i read about this. looks like our politicians will stop at nothing to decide what we can and cannot watch/hear. Who made them the Moral Police? Isn't this the land of free speech?

It's just about as important as eating, sleeping, and breathing. Sexual repression is so silly, and I'm not sure if it's hardline Christian morality that does it, or something else. Closet homo syndrome or something. How could you not want to spread the love that are boobs?

My bro was dating this chick once, she was a pseudo-Christian but not very religious, went to church a few times a year at best. He said "man, she wouldn't give it up on Christmas Eve! She said there was something wrong about having premarital sex on that holiday!" I laughed, but that's definitley bullshit.

slighty off topic........

My wife and I were watching TV one evening, and in Houston, the police are trying to crack down on prostitution. ANd my wife made a good point, "So what they're telling me is that we can go into the bedroom right now and have sex, and everything is fine. But if you pay me money afterwards, that's breaking the law? So if we had just started dating and you took me to a nice restaurant, took me to a movie, and then we had sex afterwards, then that's OK, even though I got a free meal and a free movie? But God forbid you give me money after the deed?"

The woman has a point.

J. said:
slighty off topic........

My wife and I were watching TV one evening, and in Houston, the police are trying to crack down on prostitution. ANd my wife made a good point, "So what they're telling me is that we can go into the bedroom right now and have sex, and everything is fine. But if you pay me money afterwards, that's breaking the law? So if we had just started dating and you took me to a nice restaurant, took me to a movie, and then we had sex afterwards, then that's OK, even though I got a free meal and a free movie? But God forbid you give me money after the deed?"

The woman has a point.
I've always thought this way. Prostitution just eliminates the middle man when it comes to casual sex and dating. Ugh do I haaaaaaaaaaaate crackdowns on prostitution. Fucking pigs use entrapment every time, it makes me so sick. Prostitution is bad because of disease, pimps, etc.? Fine, legalize and regulate it. Works for Nevada. I haven't seen any statistical evidence that it "works" there, but I know it's legal. :D