Twin Peaks: thoughts, theories and facts

I like it because it's steeped in mysteriousness, confusion, complexity, beautiful cinematography, the same strange stiff campy acting of the original series and I'm more obsessed now than ever to know what has actually happened than when the original series ended.

Also just in the first two episodes I have re-watched, this show more than any other show I can remember since the original series actually rewards you for returning to watch it again. I've noticed some of the small strange glitches people have referenced that are scattered throughout the series too.

definitely seemed to be caricatures of themselves but maybe it got better. Cooper being mute and this sentence being written is kind of hilarious though

The final episode definitely creeped me out, especially when you realise how it relates to the original series' pilot episode.

again, the beginning of the show was nothing like Twin Peaks of old or even Lynch's critical pieces so I have asked a few times why people like it. Got nothing, so to me I take that as you forcing yourself to like it. You can't process anything other than "i like it so fuck off" so why waste your time even replying
Well tbh you're attitude didn't really make me want to explain...

But well, my biggest draws and to twin peaks have always been the atmosphere and the mystery. And also all the little details in every scene slowly unfolding a bigger picture.

The characters are also a big thing, interesting, and when you love some of them you also love to hate some of them. While they can be annoying they add to the strange awkward atmosphere of the series. Ofcourse it goes over the top sometimes, and i think for example Andy and Lucy alot of times just were pictured as you said as sad caricatures of themselves which I didn't like (they got some redemption in the ens too though).

While Cooper being as he was for alot of the series was sometimes dragged out a tad bit too long but I didn't mind it for the most part. I think it was a good move not to have Cooper as his usual self for the whole series or it would have devolved into a bad nostalgia trip.
It's not like there were 10 episodes with a retarded Cooper for 50min anyway... other stuff happens too you know.

:loco: this is why. first 5 episodes were legitimately terrible television. At least I get Vegard since he somehow likes TD season2 which means he has sensory problems but I always get intrigued when people cannot articulate why they like something but do like it.

It's perplexing to me how dogmatic you get in criticizing things you don't like. Similarly strange is that you take film classes yet cannot see the obvious artistic merit of the new TP season. Dislike it, fine, chalk it up to personal preference, but somehow you gotta make the case that the people who like it are forcing themselves to do so.

But I do think it is very amusing to have my tastes criticized by someone who thinks The Leftovers is good television.

Reactions: CiG
The Leftovers is good television.

:lol: probably the best TV show since The Wire. Should give it another shot

Similarly strange is that you take film classes yet cannot see the obvious artistic merit of the new TP season.

maybe cinematically, don't recall enough. but the arts include narrative, which it truly was lacking in the first third at the very least.

not sure anything did at the beginning of the series :D

Wrong. A lot happens at every point in the show, you haven't even finished it so of course you wouldn't understand the way the show wants you to go backwards in a Sherlock Holmes manner.

I just finished watching S3. I enjoyed it, but not enough to be jumping to watch it again any time soon. I suppose it was to be expected, but my main gripe is that they just kept piling on the paranormal shit. In the original series you mainly just had Bob & Mike, the lodges/grove, dreams and visions, the communications received by Briggs, a few people disappearing suddenly... my point being there wasn't too much to stomach. But in the new season there's all the coordinates and portals opening up all over the place, the Coopers sometimes easily transported to wherever they need to go, whatever was going on with Sarah and Audrey, and of course Freddie's freakin' glove. I liked the glass box though.

Good Coop being trapped in a stroke victim state was the best part! Easily the most hilarious character I've ever seen on TV. I also liked how a lot of it was the same old characters in the same old jobs in the same old town. Really depressing if you think about it too much. All the pointless new characters adding extra dull life to it. The kid mowed down at the pedestrian crossing... just the sort of thing I'd dream of writing myself, haha.

Interesting theory here. Though the so-called dream seemed like a harsher reality than the regular universe, so maybe the relationship between the two is more bidirectional.

"Since Judy will not permit the clock to strike 2:53, Cooper can never make 2+5+3 add up to the number of completion; because he cannot make it to 10, he must settle instead for 8: 10, from which two – Richard and Linda – have been subtracted. Viewed more positively, 8 is the Lucky 7 of 4+3+0, with one more added. Judy (as Naido/Diane) tried to fool him into believing he was that one (“and only”), but the Log Lady knew the truth: “Laura is the one.”

Yup, this guy's definitely got it figured out.