Types of Picks

Any pick which feels comfortable to you. Keep trying different kinds until you find what you like.

I use dunlop 1.5 mm, the purple ones, and i love them. Generally i hear that thicker picks are for more precision and solos, whereas thinner picks are better for strumming techniques, but yeah, go for whatever is most comfortable for you.

I use the small jim dunlop Tortex 1.00 mm or 1.20 mm. There are pointed and perfect for a quickly play. These are the best picks for me

Well, I mostly like to strum and such stuff, so I use Green or Purple Dunlop and occasionally red D'Andrea. I think these are the best for what I want. When I play rockier solos or sth, I still prefer the Green Dunlop which is a bit harder than the purple and the D'andrea, but still not too thick. For a more metal approach I use various really thick picks, but a) I'm not interested in metal lead guitar that much b) even if I wanted to, I'm not that good an electric guitar player! :) But for acoustic stuff or clean sound, I use the ones i mentioned above. Generally, I recommend you try most of Dunlop stuff, they're very good! :)

Jazz III, for leads use one for a few weeks and then try to go back to boat oar picks. Youll be a convert just like me.

MetalHeadMarc said:
Hey guys, I was wondering different types of pics i should try out. I use heavy gage 1.00 mm clayton USA picks, what do you guys suggest?

I have answered similar posts to this many times, but I'll add my feedback. I am 100% oldschool when it comes to picks. I use the standard teardrop shaped Fender heavies (occasionally mediums for some stuff) and always in white color. If you lay a tortoise shell colored pick on your amp, it's hard to see. White is easy to see whether you are practicing or under stage lighting and the "basic" shape works for me. I can maneuver it quickly and accurately when going to and from two-habd technique and if I screw up on the placement, I can play with any part of the pick without screwing up.
I think the only problem with that style of pick is that the plastic itself has a vwery slick surface. If your hands/fingers sweat a lot, it could give you problems. I have tried all of those fancy picks and they have all ended up in the garbage. You can often find a music store brand made of the same material and thickness as well and get them dirt cheap.

Bryant

Needlefeast said:
I use dunlop 1.5 mm, the purple ones, and i love them. Generally i hear that thicker picks are for more precision and solos, whereas thinner picks are better for strumming techniques, but yeah, go for whatever is most comfortable for you.
I also use these :)

I originally used Dunlop Tortex 1.00 MM (Blue). Then, when I was looking for a pick during my guitar lesson, I found a Dunlop Jazz III on the floor. Since that fateful moment, I haven't been able to go back to any other picked I've used since.

My current pick of choice is The Dunlop Stubby 3.0 MM..if I can't get one of those, I use a Jazz III. I just like the pointer, heavier picks that require you to play with precision.

I do keep some tortex picks around though for when I strum on my acoustic..although, I can strum almost exactly the same with my stubbies now.

I have played Dunlop Jazz III picks for over 8 years... no way back now. I have tried thicker picks but i just can't get used to 'em. Tortex are decent, but I still prefer the Jazz III's.

But for bass I use Edge Pickboy Carbon Nylon 1.00mm, since the Jazz III's are too small :)

Xanathaar said:
I have played Dunlop Jazz III picks for over 8 years... no way back now. I have tried thicker picks but i just can't get used to 'em. Tortex are decent, but I still prefer the Jazz III's.

But for bass I use Edge Pickboy Carbon Nylon 1.00mm, since the Jazz III's are too small :)
what thickness of Jazz III pick do you recommend?

Well, they don't have any number on them, as I think Jazz III only comes in one thickness (correct me if I'm wrong). I think they are about 1mm+ thick though. They come in Red and Black... where black is a bit stiffer.