Ugh. Rant about running a studio....

Do a lot of you guys charge a Per Song rate? I would NEVER do that. The standard for most working studios has been hourly rate since I can remember. Maybe if you're CLA you charge an exorbitant amount to mix each song. But why would you want to take less than you're worth? You should have an hourly rate commensurate with your experience, gear and facility. If a band can come out and jam out a song quickly, they pay less. If you have to spend hours on end editing drums, auto-tuning, all that jazz, then they pay more. Simple. You cover yourself for those situations where you put more time than expected.

The only time I deviate from that is when mixing. If I've tracked it, I'll charge according to what I think it needs. I know myself and if I'll spend about two hours per song, I charge accordingly. If I'm mixing someone else's work, I look into what I'm doing before I decide how much I'll charge.

I feel like having an hourly rate is a little less open to negotiation. I NEVER get hassled about my rate. I work out of different studios, so I'll suggest cheaper places if they can't afford much. Glad I don't have to deal with too much of that, cuz damn, it must be frustrating.

Do a lot of you guys charge a Per Song rate? I would NEVER do that. The standard for most working studios has been hourly rate since I can remember. Maybe if you're CLA you charge an exorbitant amount to mix each song. But why would you want to take less than you're worth? You should have an hourly rate commensurate with your experience, gear and facility. If a band can come out and jam out a song quickly, they pay less. If you have to spend hours on end editing drums, auto-tuning, all that jazz, then they pay more. Simple. You cover yourself for those situations where you put more time than expected.

The only time I deviate from that is when mixing. If I've tracked it, I'll charge according to what I think it needs. I know myself and if I'll spend about two hours per song, I charge accordingly. If I'm mixing someone else's work, I look into what I'm doing before I decide how much I'll charge.

I feel like having an hourly rate is a little less open to negotiation. I NEVER get hassled about my rate. I work out of different studios, so I'll suggest cheaper places if they can't afford much. Glad I don't have to deal with too much of that, cuz damn, it must be frustrating.

It's very hard to charge per-hour around here, I've found. I usually go per-song or per-day, but it's all project dependent. I've got it so that I know where my margins are and the amount of time that the per-song rate comes out to.