Ugh. Rant about running a studio....

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
So, we are running a promotional deal at our studio for June. Basically, it's a "buy 2, get one free" kinda thing just to keep busy during what is usually a slow season.

(I have screencaps for the entirety of the conversion and thread talk mentioned here-forth.)

A guy inquires about the price-per-song for a full production (tracking, editing and mixing with 3 mix revisions per song), and I reply with this:

"Tracking, editing and mixing costs are generally around $800 a song, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, depending on the music style and a few other factors."

And his reply: "seems kinda steep… website where I could see the studio & hear some finished products?"

Fair enough, so I send him a link to some of my work. He seems to dig it, and I ask what price he has in mind. If it's not too much of a low-ball, I might be willing to work with him. He replies:

"well the mixes do sound very good, but i've gotten similar quality offers (In point of fact, I did not make him an offer, nor would I at such an early stage in the convo. I merely told him our average rates) for around 300$ per song, but at this point I am just shopping around for late summer."

"Sure, no problem," I think. $300 a song is very low, and I'm still busy enough that $300 honestly isn't worth the running costs for 3 songs, two of which are being paid for with our current deal. But that's okay, and I wish him luck in his search for a studio for the summer.

And then he proceeds to talk shit about me, my product and the studio in the Chango forum on Facebook.

I told him I could see what was happening there, and still offered to set him up with a studio that fit his budget, and he assured me that he wasn't saying anything negative, but he continued to fuel the fire.

This has me riled up for a number of reasons...And I let my temper get the best of me and called him out on what he was saying. If he would like to go to someone who has downloaded POD and SD2.0 presets and get a record done for the price of a good bottle of Scotch and a nice dinner, then that's fine, he has that right. Just as I have the right to say "no thanks" to what I consider a low-ball offer to work for what is basically minimum wage. I didn't even have to respond to him, but I think it's discourteous to ignore anyone who asks about your business.

Now, this isn't really a big deal, but it sparked a big thread/convo between myself and a few hardworking engineer/producer friends (all of whom have amazing credits behind them but are still scraping work off the ground like nearly all of us in rock/metal production). It's wonderful to watch a bunch of children playing laptop metal with cracked plugs tell someone how they should run an actual studio. Yea, $150-200 a song would work just fine...until you have to pay rent and repair/replace anything. I told this kid to call up a few of the bigger places around Chicago and ask for their day rates. It would put him on his ass if he actually knew. I also put out a challenge: call up any of his little "MacBook-and-MBox Producer" friends, come to a studio with me, and see how they mic up a drum kit. I'd put $500 on me being able to place one or two mics around the kit and get a record-ready sound...They'd just reach for Trigger. GAH!

Where do you all stand? I'm personally at the point where I'd rather place production in the "hobbyist" category, charge a fair rate, and work with serious musicians a few times a year instead of working with assholes who want to pay a penny for the world. This incident just reinforced it.

End of frustrated rant. There's too much swirling around my head to place into text coherently at the moment.

Oh man did that come off bitchy. I know, nature of the business, and I've been very lucky for a long time working with people I really enjoy bring around, but damn it felt good to vent.

Always take the high road, never get in spats on the net. It does nothing for you or your business. I can certainly understand how hard it is, it's like someone calling your kid ugly. All you can do is move on and let your work do the talking. When you fall into that middle price range and advertise on Craigslist you get all kinds. You have to have thick skin.

If someone is that much of a nightmare whilst discussing potential sessions/initial contact, imagine how bad they would be once they were actually in the studio.

Sometimes is best to just say no!

"Hey I'm ready to start working on finishing the album. i have 7 songs plus an outro totalling 8 for recordings a couple are in the 2 min range so what I'm hoping is we can work a deal out again to do all for $125. ima have (NAME) doing the vocals i need. are you still up and running? You will get 25 percent of CD sells. this is the big one. get at me."

Fuck 'em. People will pay what the market demands and you're working in a completely different market than him. You work with a different (higher imho) calibre of musician and it should stay that way. If he wants to go on a Facebook tirade then let him. Its not going to hurt you at all, none of the guys in that forum are your target audience anyway.

I usually ask for some sort of demo or previous work when i respond to mails cause its usually the bad bands that are a bitch to work with. Don't want to pay enough, have very high demands on end product while they can't really perform good enough to be able to get that etc etc.

Some people just want to fuck you around, be polite in emails but i totally would have done the same and called him out if they start trashtalking in forums.

Don't feel bad, here is an actual email I received a few weeks ago (copy/paste):

Hey i called you im the kid that lost my grandpa but heres my thing um i ant got much money my grandpa did all my stuff but i have a guy that said if i get a cd he can make me big and i knkw he can cuz well before i stopped i was going to be in the new years deal so i seen u said u ant a big big studio and i want your studio to do all my cd's from today on and i dont want any of the money so you have it all and any other studio i do you will be with and so like my manager idk anything about the music stuff all i know is how to sing and dance and work music systems so i need a studio and well anyone alive needs money and all i want is mine and my grandpa music out there again and the money u can have so if u can help then please email me back thanks for your time

For some reason I actually responded with info on typical workflow, rates and a few questions about what exactly he wants; this is what I got back:

alright and i would but i have no money right now but i know this guy named jeff that as soon as frist song is done he has me a spot on cmt and alot more and about the band and stuff yes i can have a band by tomrrow but i play everything and i have used studio before so i know how to do everything and yeah i have all his song in my head and papper but i have to get the pappers from my aunt but yeah i rember every song i have in my music book and theres over 500 songs in my book but i just want my grandpas done and thats only 10 but i dont have any money so im trying to find someone that will help me out and then after jeff does all hes going to do well i could pay and then for helping i want them to be my studio and but that i mean i tell everyone its where i sing and its awesome and say we r all like a family there and everything and all money i make i take 10% on it just to help my family and the rest goes to you so yes its my grandpas song and i know all my songs and i can help you with your recordings and i can have you booked from this year to next for 500 a day from people i know that alot cant sing and i wont take you any of your studio time we can record it when ever you have time and you can be my singing manager and everything i guess need help

I hardly charge anything and throw in stuff for free and still can't book anything around here, which is fine since just about every time I send an email with dollar signs, I never get a response. Everyone wants work for free and has no idea the amount of actual work that goes into a half decent project. Even if I break down the process from pre-pro to mastering, they still want to book one day to record a whole album.

I am extremely fortunate I have been able to make live sound work out as far as a job and keep the studio work an expensive hobby. I would rather that be reversed as I find live sound pretty boring, but at least I'm doing something music related (even though I'm on 5-6 payrolls, ugh). Currently trying to brush up on tech skills so I can get a real, steady job though - but I'm waaaay behind.

Why the fuck are you even on the chango forum on facebook? :lol:
Or did you get wind of it through someone 3rd?
I guess that the kind of production aesthetics chango guys want, aren't to be found in your studio anyway (real drums, actual micing up stuff etc...).

No idea how harsh or whatever the guy wrote, but you should always always stay professional.

And SOOOOO much +1 to this
I usually ask for some sort of demo or previous work when i respond to mails cause its usually the bad bands that are a bitch to work with. Don't want to pay enough, have very high demands on end product while they can't really perform good enough to be able to get that etc etc.

Some people just want to fuck you around, be polite in emails but i totally would have done the same and called him out if they start trashtalking in forums.

Don't feel bad, here is an actual email I received a few weeks ago (copy/paste):

For some reason I actually responded with info on typical workflow, rates and a few questions about what exactly he wants; this is what I got back:

I hardly charge anything and throw in stuff for free and still can't book anything around here, which is fine since just about every time I send an email with dollar signs, I never get a response. Everyone wants work for free and has no idea the amount of actual work that goes into a half decent project. Even if I break down the process from pre-pro to mastering, they still want to book one day to record a whole album.

I am extremely fortunate I have been able to make live sound work out as far as a job and keep the studio work an expensive hobby. I would rather that be reversed as I find live sound pretty boring, but at least I'm doing something music related (even though I'm on 5-6 payrolls, ugh). Currently trying to brush up on tech skills so I can get a real, steady job though - but I'm waaaay behind.

Dude, that guy needs to find his grandpa that he lost like right now. Ok cruel joke. I think. Dude needs to go to school.

Somehow I have not had the experience of having someone try to lowball me into oblivion yet. :lol:

I have referred people to the other guy in town as we get along together pretty good actually (I just didn't have time at the time). Went over to see his operation and chatted for a couple hours, always nice to chat with another guy in person about recording shit. He was the guy who got flooded recently (total bummer). I guess he is back up and running somewhere although I don't think he has all his gear replaced yet. I have also referred people to other studios for mastering and duplication services. It has never impacted me negatively and I have had that kind of thing paid back in some ways.

To my knowledge I have not been bad mouthed yet either, although the nature of this business. I'm sure it's any day coming now though.

I have not put myself into the mindset of competing with the larger facilities though as I just think that would be insane. Nobody willing to pay $85 an hour would consider recording in a dude's house in his basement no matter what gear he has. At the same time nobody looking for a $20-25 an hour place should be looking at a facility with an SSL console either. TBH there are people in the $85 an hour tier that I wouldn't touch with a pole and there are people in the lower tier that I wouldn't mess with either. It's all about reading people and learning from experiences.

Anyhow, very frustrating indeed. Also: SLOAN! Why didn't you make that guy famous? I'm SUUURRREEEEE he would have paid you back. :lol:

Welp, your profile pic makes a lot of sense now....:lol:

Mago: I got wind of it via some nice screen caps. Lots of butthurt kids over there.

Loren: Spot on.

Let me preface this by saying I by no means consider myself a producer. My approach, and I include this here so you understand why I frequent this forum so often, is to track guitars and bass at home then take my tracks to a Pro studio and mix it with them.

As a client, when I'm choosing a producer my main concern is the quality of his work and, perhaps even more importantly, if he's going to be the one that can help me reach my creative vision. It's only well after this that money even becomes a factor. Of course I have to make the a decision whether I think his fees are worth it.

I've never asked for a discount or negotiated a better price. Yes, I have been to studios on discounted rates, rates they set on their own terms, not mine.

To haggle like this is just disrespectful. How can you create great music with someone you don't respect? What sort of a performance do you expect out of your producer and do you really think he's going to be up to the task after you've coerced him onto paying what you want?

I can understand someone asking if this is the best price, but to make a decision purely on price is just stupid. My music is more valuable than that.

This thread makes me feel not so bad about jumping ship. I am a mere hobbyist and content with that at this point :D

That being said if that dude wants to put your business on the internet and you have screenshots of the conversation, I would just drop those screenshots anywhere he brings the situation up with no context or explanation. That way if people really care about what happened they can read the whole thing without anyone putting their spin on how things went down.

I know those feels. I'll share a recent one.

I had been talking to a metal band here about recording and the guitarist I was talking to seemed like he took their music seriously, as far as conversation went. What I try to do if I have time is take a drive out and meet the band like at a practice or their show or something. They said they had a manager who worked with Asking Alexandria at some point and had him contact me, which was over text. Anyway, I bought a presale to their show from them and tried to talk to them about recording, what they wanted to accomplish in the studio, what kind of vibe they wanted to go for ect, but they were too focused on talking about how "fucked up" drunk they all got last night brooo. Their "manager" wasn't able to get to the show because he doesn't drive and couldn't take the lightrail that is about 1-2 miles from the venue. Sweet. They played a shitty set and took off to a nearby liquor store immediately after. I managed to catch the guitarist on the patio outside and spoke to him about recording, finally. The others were too drunk. Obviously wasn't very pumped about all this by now.

Pretty much he said they wanted to do like 10 songs in 2-3 days and "oh dude we have our shit together we don't need much time". Yeah, very realistic timeframe.... After talking shit about this other guy that records bands that is nutorious for being the Little Ceasars Hot n Ready pizza of recordings, how they paid all of this money and didn't even share the songs and how they have "serious bones to drop for a producer that actually cares about their band", he proceeded to ask me about my rates. With overhead/facility/skill/gear, I'm comfortable with saying I'm in the 25-30/hr range and I told him "I'm 250/day for 10 hours and I quote a flat rate for mixing". So he tells me he wants me to record their album pro bono......... "Yeah dude we don't really know you, but if you do a kickass job we'll totally pay you whatever you want"... I told him I don't work for free and I have overhead for a 2500sqft facility. He kept trying to haggle with me and ended up getting distracted and walking away from me mid-sentence. Fail.

A week or so goes by, he comments my facebook page "what's the word hummingbird? Are you ready for us?" I tell him to have his manager CALL me. Their "manager" texts me nearly a week later after flaking on meeting up with me and says they want me to "record them for free or at least half off or something". I said I don't work for free, I'm providing them a service, I have overhead and any studio around the area is charging at least 45/hr and I wasn't interested in working with them if they expected me to work under those conditions.

People are wack, man. You try and give people practical means for good, original recordings and your time still isn't worth squat. Laugh it off and move on, I have other bands I'm working on getting in anyway.

Would totally produce for free and live off the sales cut :

Cause sometimes the look matters to boost sales :

Last edited by a moderator: