LONG Client Rant....and pwnage

To Pipaquapique

If you wanted the files of your studio session in say a £200 a day studio just for personal use (listening over, isolating bits, even making mash ups) and they declined despite you paying them a fair bit of wedge... you'd be pretty annoyed wouldn't you? I mean if they said no to me I'd be a bit annoyed but I wouldn't make a huuuuge fuss about it. But it would be nice to have the session files just for learning more than anything.

Then on the other side though, you could make those files sound like complete shite and be like ' Lwk Wh4T thIZ GAIZ d0D 2 UZ!'
But we all know that's not the cool thing to do :lol:

To Pipaquapique

If you wanted the files of your studio session in say a £200 a day studio just for personal use (listening over, isolating bits, even making mash ups) and they declined despite you paying them a fair bit of wedge... you'd be pretty annoyed wouldn't you? I mean if they said no to me I'd be a bit annoyed but I wouldn't make a huuuuge fuss about it. But it would be nice to have the session files just for learning more than anything.

Then on the other side though, you could make those files sound like complete shite and be like ' Lwk Wh4T thIZ GAIZ d0D 2 UZ!'

i hear you man...this isn't even a complain or anything. but like arv_foh said. Stems, ok

it's just the way i do it. i have had people who bring their HD's, and i mix on them, and at the end of the day, they take them, no extra charge.

but if they want me to transfer all the sessions to their USB flash drives, or their external HD's later...or even DVD's. That will cost, ya know?

Yer I suppose I understand that you're giving them more than just the song that way, but If there was a strict policy of noone giving out the session files even with payment THEN I'd be annoyed :D
If i were to goto a studio I think (depending on the prices) I would buy the session files on DVD

*****HILARIOUS STORY UPDATE*****

I got an email from the producer saying that he's asked the studio to send over all the SSL recall floppy disks to him. He claims that he remembers me mixing the songs and that there will be recalls stored on the disks. These of course are the one and only thing I didn't keep from the session, as they are generally the studios unless you ask to keep them.

Me being the smart cookie I am, I called the assistant at the studio (not the manager), and asked him to give me the names of every one of the songs off the disks. He of course had already been told to gather all of them up, so he already had a list for me.

No record of either songs FTW.

I told him to call the producer and act like an idiot and say "sorry sir we can't find 2 of the songs...were they done here?". He laughed and said he's doing it right now.

I'm loving this even more now.

You know, this is a shitty situation and these guys are all really fucking retarded...

But I'm really curious about your organization methods. They sound incredibly thorough, detailed, and, well... organized, for lack of a better term.

Mind explaining in a bit more detail if you ever get a chance? Particularly...

"Being the professional I am I already have consolidated mix sessions/full mix prints and stems/ and detailed notes of everything."

I take it you mean every file in the project properly named/beginning at the same marker on the grid?

You know, this is a shitty situation and these guys are all really fucking retarded...

But I'm really curious about your organization methods. They sound incredibly thorough, detailed, and, well... organized, for lack of a better term.

Mind explaining in a bit more detail if you ever get a chance? Particularly...

"Being the professional I am I already have consolidated mix sessions/full mix prints and stems/ and detailed notes of everything."

I take it you mean every file in the project properly named/beginning at the same marker on the grid?

I'm making a monster of a post about organization. Be up in about an hour....it'll have everything I do.

I got an email from the producer saying that he's asked the studio to send over all the SSL recall floppy disks to him. He claims that he remembers me mixing the songs and that there will be recalls stored on the disks. These of course are the one and only thing I didn't keep from the session, as they are generally the studios unless you ask to keep them.

Me being the smart cookie I am, I called the assistant at the studio (not the manager), and asked him to give me the names of every one of the songs off the disks. He of course had already been told to gather all of them up, so he already had a list for me.

I told him to call the producer and act like an idiot and say "sorry sir we can't find 2 of the songs...were they done here?". He laughed and said he's doing it right now.

WIN!!! HAHAHA!!

I told you man, you shouldn't worry. These things fall into their places when we least expect them.

question...

Should I make a new post about organizing, I should I just put it in here??

I think I'm going to have to do this in parts...it's a lot of information...

If its informational, I'd say give it it's own thread, link back to this one if you feel the need or vice versa.

To Pipaquapique

I'm willing to give out session files (like pro tools files), but there is a catch:

I will wipe out all plugins and track settings.

Why?

Because I don't want my work going somewhere else, they change a few fucking little things and claim they mixed it. Fuck that, you want to mix it you fucking mix the whole thing. :lol:

But other than that, I have no problems giving out the raw tracks or stems if they are requested. :D

I'm willing to give out session files (like pro tools files), but there is a catch:

I will wipe out all plugins and track settings.

Why?

Because I don't want my work going somewhere else, they change a few fucking little things and claim they mixed it. Fuck that, you want to mix it you fucking mix the whole thing. :lol:

But other than that, I have no problems giving out the raw tracks or stems if they are requested. :D

The way I see it the band are entitled to the raw tracks which are done across the booked sessions. If they have paid for that time, they are entitled to what comes out of it. Just recently did this with a band who I ran out of time for and they had to go elsewhere to complete tracking on their record. I simply gave them all their multitracks, consolidated and let them know what gear we used on the vox, as well as the settings so they could get repeatability with the sound.

The Cubase/PT session is an entirely different matter however. When a band pay me for a mix they are paying for the finished product, in a bounced stereo format, or if they want, across a few stems (for remix purposes, live backing tracks, easier mastering etc.). They never get plug-in settings, automation or any of that jazz. In fact I never give out the session files, it's always just audio information.

@C F H: That just sounds like a totally nasty experience. If someone like you, who keeps such insanely detailed logs of just about everything is prone to such situations, I doubt they are universally avoidable. I've heard of such pettyness from other engineers and it just seems like something that goes hand in hand with the gig at times. I hope it doesn't affect your workflow or reputation across town too negatively, and the producer and his clients come off as the hyperactive douches they seem to be.

Personally I never hand out PT Sessions with all my settings on them. Just consolidated audio files.

But then a wee while back labels would often ask for recall sheet's and automation data if it was mixed on a SSL or something.

So why have things changed so drastically? I understand the point about someone changing one or two things and then claiming that they mixed it though.

Whats everyones thoughts on this?

GOOD FOR YOU MAN!