UM fantasy premier league 2015/2016 (SOCCER)

haha, the short answer is i'm a fucking nerd. i absolutely love reading, i don't think any other medium can beat a good book, but yeah i do struggle to find the time, the idea of committing to reading some big tome is p intimidating.

i'm an obsessive person and those obsessions come and go in phases, i.e. the end of last year/start of this year i was watching a movie per day easily, but this last couple months i've only watched a handful, whereas this year is probably the most i've played video games in ages. sports are actually the one constant i guess, 'cause they're live events and mainly just happen at the weekend, plus i have a lot of friends and family into sports so it's kind of a social thing.

i think it's a shame that there's a stigma attached to sports for most 'nerd' types due to cultural reasons, 'cause i think sports have loads in common with shit like movies and tv shows and comic books in terms of appeal. same dramatic narrative arcs, mythologising of characters and of history, illusion of the stakes being higher than in reality, etc. this especially applies to boxing, which is probably why it's my favourite sport.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I very rarely watch films, they're just generally not my thing. I do wish I read more, as you said, there's nothing like a good book to sink your teeth into. I should start on the Malazan series soon, I have the first 3.

I think I've said this before but tennis is the only sport I actively keep up with. I don't dislike other sports, I just never find myself watching them. Except football, I fucking detest football.

haha. football has its detestable qualities to be sure. tennis is my favourite sport to play. i love watching a great tennis match too and i follow the slams closely, but i kinda get bored of the same guys playing each other like 20 times a year.

I want to play the Euro Game. I'm pretty stoked for that tournament, hope my country beats Northern Ireland and Ukraine to get out of the group.

you polish, dude?

i think england would have a chance of winning if they had a better coach and picked the correct XI but oh well, nothing new there.

predicting hodgson's england squad:

gk: hart, forster, foster
df: clyne, rose, walker, stones, smalling, cahill, bertrand, jagielka
mf: sterling, alli, barkley, dier, lallana, wilshere, henderson, milner
fwd: vardy, kane, sturridge, rooney

i rly hope drinkwater makes it though, preferably over henderson.

yeah, i'm polish.

i don't think jagielka will make it. drinkwater will surely be included because of leicester's success. not a CB, but I guess baines will make it as he is really reliable. maybe townsend? great half of the season at newcastle.

actually, given that dier can play CB you may be right about them not needing jags or any 4th CB. that frees up an extra space in midfield for drinkwater perhaps. i actually don't think baines is even our third choice left back anymore after the season he's had, it sounds like luke shaw's gonna be fit and i can see him being above baines in the pecking order. personally i'd go with the form horses of bertrand and rose.

as for townsend, i suppose he could be included over one of henderson/wilshere/sturridge?

how's the polish team shaping up? i've read that a few of your players haven't been getting as much first team action for their clubs as they'd like, i.e. kuba. milik seems like a good prospect though?

Last edited:
Tbh Wilshere does not deserve to go to France.

Kuba is definitely past his prime already, even weak Fiorentina does not want him. I'd see him in Liverpool under Klopp though! He's still very agile. Milik is a great prospect and he's in a great place for such talents. For me, he ought to stay at Ajax for one more year to develop and than go to Germany or England. The only weak point of our national team is defence, apart from Glik and Piszczek we have no one here, we have no reliable left back and a partner to Glik. However, our midfield is looking great atm.

yeah, i've always liked kuba, i'd love to see him in the prem. preferably not at liverpool though, it's hard enough seeing klopp there :p i believe there's a young guy in serie a who's been looking good as well. zielinski or something?

you should certainly be the second best team in that group on paper. given three teams can qualify from some groups under the new format, i imagine you'll be ok. looking at the draw now, i think your most likely route is switzerland in the last 16 and then spain in the quarters. meanwhile we ought to have it fairly easy until the quarters where we're likely to meet italy, belgium or (hopefully) portugal.

there are a few players who don't deserve to go but probably will. wilshere, henderson, rooney, sterling etc

Yeah, Piotr Zieliński, a talent but honestly I haven't seen him in action yet. The front line looks perfect - Lewandowski and Milik. My fav player in the squad is Glik - a true determined player who never avoids tackling. That's what I praise.

I'd honestly take Rashford instead of Rooney. He'd learn and feel the atmosphere of a major tournament. And who knows, maybe he would have a chance for a debut against a weaker opponent.

Hey, you're a cool guy, add me on facebook mate.

that's only the provisional 26 though, i was talking about the 23. you may still be right though, especially now that walcott's definitely not in there. seems like we'd be too short on wide players otherwise. link to your fb thx

i'm indifferent really, i guess neither is gonna play so you might as well stick a youngster in there for the experience. i doubt rashford will make the final squad anyways.

I'm also annoyed by the fact that he called up Delph instead of Noble. West Ham players were totally ignored by that clown.

That Euro is going to be extremely interesting. Even more matches to watch, that's a paradise for a footy fan.

yeah, i'm very meh about delph. antonio could've got a look in too.

i'm SUPER excited man! got time off work for this shit and everything. france '98 is one of the best tournaments i can remember, the conditions and atmosphere and everything should be great. i'm a little dubious about the whole format, may as well have gone with a full 32 IMO, but i love that there's more games. i plan on watching 90+% of them

bump @EspaDa

yeah i had lukaku as fpl captain, was laughing my ass off.

hoping utd can take advantage of their rivals slipping up AGAIN but somehow they'll probably draw 0-0 AGAIN

Crystal Palace result against Sunderland is laughable too, conceding 4 goals one half is something terrible. I didn't watch Chelsea vs Arsenal game, but I saw the goals and Hazard's one was pretty magnificent. What a players he is! That's good he came back to form after horrible last season.