UM PODCAST/RADIO

ok, if all i have to do is submit a playlist, i can do that right now. otherwise, i'll have to wait until things settle down.

are people just gonna post what they want? or are people wanting to focus on certain sub genres?

you probably already spoke to that, but i'm sooo not gonna read every post hehehe
~gR~

Most likely it will just be play what you want (as long as it's metal). I figure, though, that maybe to shake things up a bit, we have certain people to a classic rock show (like Mathias, as he has way more classic rock than I do) or we do some offbeat shit like a jazz show. Keep it mainly focused on metal though, but throwing a change-up once in a while is nice.

What would happen is that you'll have to have a certain number of songs to deejay. Or, at least enough of a variety where you can fill your allotted time on the air.

Playlists would be submitted so that people would be able to look at them and request things. a .txt or a .doc file would be sufficient in this case.

Hey dudes,

Thought I would weigh in here (thanks alter for pointing me to the thread). I do have plans for a UM radio station (check the top header you will see an empty radio link). UM used to have one way back when. It takes a lot of work (and some money) to do it right. A lot of people are excited about the idea of doing it, etc. - but find that it becomes a burden to do a show on a consistent and regular schedule. I used to have a show I did for a year or so and while it is really fun doing.

That said, there are many, many things to think about with this:

1) Costs, costs, costs. If you want to have any decent amount of people tuning in, you have to have a bandwidth service for them to tap into to listen to the feed. If you do it from home, and only have so-so bandwidth, you may be able to stream to 5 people (if that) with decent quality. Shoutcast is merely a method and directory, but those people listed there are using streaming bandwidth services.

2) Quality. Especially if this were to represent UM in any way, I would be concerned about quality. That means stream quality, cast quality, DJ quality if speaking (including keeping language and such in check). Everyone hates crappy audio quality, kinda defeats the purpose of having a cast.

3) Doing a true Podcast. A LOT (LOTS) of people these days confuse a podcast with simple click/download MP3 file. A podcast contains specific XML files to create a subscribeable (through itunes, etc.) file, that updates automatically when a new podcast is added to the subscription area for the subscribers. It's not just an audio file sitting there where you click on it and save to your computer. You could have both methods available, but if you want to call it a "podcast" it has to be set up properly.

4) Time. If you guys were to commit to this, make sure you have the time to do so. I wouldn't want to promote something just to have it peter out 2 months later once all the initial excitement died away from it.

Those are my quick initial thoughts, comments/replies?

Well, I'd like to know if you already have a set of guidelines in place for the radio station. Such as:

1) Tryouts for Dj spots. Some radio stations do this. It's a way for people to hone their skills while, at the same time, learning how shoutcast works.

2) Music requirements. How many songs are required? Which artists are banned (if any)? Things like that

I'd think of more, but those are the first two that come to mind right now. Thanks for weighing in on this Deron. Everyone is appreciative.

Also, maybe start a donations thing for the server? We have enough of a following on every single part of this board where you should be able to get more than enough money donated every month to run the server (maybe? I don't know how much bandwidth you would need to support 200 users).

yeah, how much money are we talking? i dont think we need to worry about people getting bored and not wanting to do it anymore. all the people who have stepped up to DJ have been around for a while. anyone who consistantly comes back should be reliable enough to contribute a couple hours of tunes.

and banned artists is a bad idea. but i dont think it would be a problem anyways.
~gR~

and banned artists is a bad idea. but i dont think it would be a problem anyways.
~gR~

that really doesn't get decided by us, it's a copyright thing (the whole RIAA thing). I would say most the bands I imagine we would all play should be fine, and also a lot of the bandwidth places may have copyright protection in place (they pay and transfer the fees to your monthly fees).

I would be interested but I would need to learn to do all this stuff.

You have to have a pretty extensive library.

Hey dudes,

Thought I would weigh in here (thanks alter for pointing me to the thread). I do have plans for a UM radio station (check the top header you will see an empty radio link). UM used to have one way back when. It takes a lot of work (and some money) to do it right. A lot of people are excited about the idea of doing it, etc. - but find that it becomes a burden to do a show on a consistent and regular schedule. I used to have a show I did for a year or so and while it is really fun doing.

That said, there are many, many things to think about with this:

1) Costs, costs, costs. If you want to have any decent amount of people tuning in, you have to have a bandwidth service for them to tap into to listen to the feed. If you do it from home, and only have so-so bandwidth, you may be able to stream to 5 people (if that) with decent quality. Shoutcast is merely a method and directory, but those people listed there are using streaming bandwidth services.

2) Quality. Especially if this were to represent UM in any way, I would be concerned about quality. That means stream quality, cast quality, DJ quality if speaking (including keeping language and such in check). Everyone hates crappy audio quality, kinda defeats the purpose of having a cast.

3) Doing a true Podcast. A LOT (LOTS) of people these days confuse a podcast with simple click/download MP3 file. A podcast contains specific XML files to create a subscribeable (through itunes, etc.) file, that updates automatically when a new podcast is added to the subscription area for the subscribers. It's not just an audio file sitting there where you click on it and save to your computer. You could have both methods available, but if you want to call it a "podcast" it has to be set up properly.

4) Time. If you guys were to commit to this, make sure you have the time to do so. I wouldn't want to promote something just to have it peter out 2 months later once all the initial excitement died away from it.

Those are my quick initial thoughts, comments/replies?

- For language, what's acceptable? Like I hear guys on the XM saying 'that was fucking awesome' etc all the time.

- How much money are looking at? Surely if we all pitched in we would be fine.

Though I'm new here...I'd be willing to help out in any way possible. I have a pretty extensive collection thats always growing.

I wasn't aware that this was going to be directly associated with UM, I thought this was just going to be a couple of guys plays music for a slightly larger group of guys every once in a while.

alter always thought of it being official, i think. he mentioned getting it cleared by deron numerous times
~gR~

Mathiäs;6596620 said:
You have to have a pretty extensive library.

- For language, what's acceptable? Like I hear guys on the XM saying 'that was fucking awesome' etc all the time.

- How much money are looking at? Surely if we all pitched in we would be fine.

People on XM get away with it because it's satelite radio and people pay for subscriptions to the service. The FCC doesn't really regulate it I don't think.

My thing with language during a cast is - I don't want to worry listening while at work, in front of the kiddos or what have you knowing that an F-bomb is coming up or something like that. I love the Hair Metal station on Sirius, but never listen to it with the kids around because of their DJs who love to curse for the hell of it. I know another station by a friend that plays killer music, but same thing, no way I can listen to it. I just find that ll that distracts from a good cast.

I think we are going to use Shoutcast which is free. My only gripe with a radio show is if someone needs to back out at the last moment. I am going to download shoutcast and see how this whole thing works.