UM PODCAST/RADIO

My thing with language during a cast is - I don't want to worry listening while at work, in front of the kiddos or what have you knowing that an F-bomb is coming up or something like that. I love the Hair Metal station on Sirius, but never listen to it with the kids around because of their DJs who love to curse for the hell of it. I know another station by a friend that plays killer music, but same thing, no way I can listen to it. I just find that ll that distracts from a good cast.

A lot of the songs might have violent or obscene lyrics as well. Would we censor those too?

I guess you can always just have designated hours for 'clean' broadcasts, like 9 AM to 9 PM or something.

I think we are going to use Shoutcast which is free. My only gripe with a radio show is if someone needs to back out at the last moment. I am going to download shoutcast and see how this whole thing works.

Check my earlier post - unless I am missing something all these years, Shoutcast is merely a portal collection of people casting. You still have to have your own bandwidth to broadcast through, and for people to connect to (ultimately).

Well, most of the DM songs we have you can't tell if it's an f-bomb or not (unless you're very adept at picking out words in DM, which I am not yet)

Same goes for BM

A lot of the songs might have violent or obscene lyrics as well. Would we censor those too?

I guess you can always just have designated hours for 'clean' broadcasts, like 9 AM to 9 PM or something.

No, In terms of being clean I doubt we are going to play anything that a metal fan would find offense.

Check my earlier post - unless I am missing something all these years, Shoutcast is merely a portal collection of people casting. You still have to have your own bandwidth to broadcast through, and for people to connect to (ultimately).

I think it gives you a bandwidth. Are there free bandwidths we ca start with?

I'll try to install it later, I don't feel like doing it right now.

EDIT: Do we need to make a server?

Fuck.

Well I am trying to install Shoutcast and it says I am not connected.Ozzman you want to try and see if you can get it to work.

Did you download the server application or the individual application?

You need to download the server app first. I also have no idea how to use or set up the server app.

I would say to just wait until Deron gets the money/bandwidth to do this thing.

Well, most of the DM songs we have you can't tell if it's an f-bomb or not (unless you're very adept at picking out words in DM, which I am not yet)

Same goes for BM

Yeah, but not every obscene song is black/death metal.

No, In terms of being clean I doubt we are going to play anything that a metal fan would find offense.

That's not the issue. Deron was talking about coworkers or family members overhearing it.

You guys are different in that, your target is your pals and guys you know are young and don't care as much about that stuff - that's more hobby stuff and I would say pursue outside of UM. If you want to do a truly broad reaching cast, right, then you have to think beyond your personal tastes and realize where people may be listening from, and do you want to alienate listeners vs. doing what you wish.

No right or wrong really, just a matter of who are you targeting.

I know when I wasn't working for myself and was working for someone in an office, I loved listening to metal casts (EARLY days of this stuff) and I never tuned in casts that dropped F-bombs and what not because I was in an office environment. I've also been listening from home with the kiddos around many times when the same thing happened, and I had to tune right out.

So again, it really boils down to who is your audience. If you want to cast for 5-10 pals, all dorming it or whatever, then go the hobby route and cast straight from your computer and have them tap right into your IP. As far as a UM branded thing goes, I would want it to be broad reaching so certain guidelines would definitely apply.

FYI for those asking about money, I have a friend who runs stickmanradio.com - decent amount of listeners, and if I am not mistaken it is costs him $2-300 a month to run. I had another pal who ran from Live365, and I think that was costing around $50-70/month with a cap on the number of listeners.

If anything, you should just have a notice that the songs played on the podcast may contain explicit lyrics, and that any ideology expressed within any piece of music playing does not reflect the cast or UM in any way.