Under The Weaping Moon

Blackwater Demon

Using Cold Words
Mar 30, 2008
Under The Weaping Moon
Am I wrong or is this a pretty underrated song? Every time I hear it I get lost in the melodic part of it until it gets heavy again and rips me a new asshole. I find it to be the best song on Orchid and would love to see them play this live. Anyone else have an appreciation for this song?

I keep on intending to go back and listen to Morningrise and Orchid, but I somehow never find the time. They used to be my favorite Opeth albums, so I know I must love that song, but I can't think of it right now. Although the best song on Orchid has got to be The Apostle in Triumph.

It's a great song but Orchid is such a great album that it's still probably my least favorite on the album.

Am I wrong or is this a pretty underrated song? Every time I hear it I get lost in the melodic part of it until it gets heavy again and rips me a new asshole. I find it to be the best song on Orchid and would love to see them play this live. Anyone else have an appreciation for this song?

I love the middle break with the repeating acoustic guitar and drums.

its a fun song to play, but you really need two people to make it complete.

it is indeed a great great song. the roundhouse live version is amazing. i love the part where he sings "i am the watcher in the sky" and kinda fades in his growl starting that off.

I think Under the Weeping Moon is one of their best in Orchid too. And they did play it live, in the Roundhouse Tapes. Such an epic concert. :headbang:

You really need two guitars for all old Opeth I think. Some parts sound ok with one, but I think for the most part they were written for two.

I think I get what effect Mike was going for in the middle section of this song, but fuck it's boring as hell. The part just after that is awesome though and in general, it is probably kind of underrated.

You really need two guitars for all old Opeth I think. Some parts sound ok with one, but I think for the most part they were written for two.

Yea but in general the point is its harder on the earlier albums to get a good composite. The newer Opeth revolves more around either having a guitar riff that only requires one guitar but uses two (First riffs of Wreath, Harlequin Forest, The Leper Affinity, etc.) or around a rhythm with a lead section over it. Obviously you can't play chords and solo over it at once, but when the rhythm section is lower chords and the lead is overdriven single notes, the two parts are much more independent of each other. What happens with Orchid and Morningrise riffs is that they're made up of two guitars playing similar melodies, so that they combine to make one composite sound; as a result, you often sound like you're just missing notes whereas any listener can tell on, say, the opening of Deliverance, that there's two guitars doing entirely unrelated things.

Sadly the only reason most ppl appreciate this song these days is because of roundhouse tapes, listen to Orchid ffs it´s among the best Opeth albums.

but you have to agree the Roundhouse version sounds so much fuller. orchid has that eerie feel but the production isnt great, nor are the clean vocals :p

Infact I completely disagree. I think Orchid has one of the best productions in terms of balancing atmosphere with a discernible sound, the clean vocals doesn´t bother me too much but the growls sometimes do. MR on the other hand sucks productionwise...