Under The Weeping Moon

Dec 12, 2005
Collierville, TN
I have always been quite fond of the dark. It is not because I am a gothic person or a worshipper of the negative forces of nature. Darkness brings an unquenchable inquisitiveness in me, because of the sense of anonymity it bears. The thirst to know what is there beyond those thick layers of black and why is it that I cannot see or feel, is quite high.
Winter is a harsh season, but I love it for the fact that I was born in this cold time. I love taking short walks outside, even though it might be bitterly wintry. I love it when those thick layers of cold air are around me and make my skin go pale and numb. It was a cold winter night and I set out on my short stroll. The night sky was dark blue and starlit. It was as if, someone had placed these tiny twinkling beads on a huge thick black blanket. I loved the spatial abundance of the sky. And then, there was the moon. It was yellowish and pale. The craters were eminent, that night. I could not make any shape out of them, but they looked ominous. As I walked on my path, I could see trees along the sideway. They were dry of their sap and leafless. The bent posture of the trunk and the naked branches portrayed a deep sorrow.
Slowly, the cold air was biting my skin, which was growing pale. I rubbed my hands together and continued to walk. I started noticing that there were no animals in my sight. No insects making those nocturnal sounds or the occasional raccoon passing by. It was a very silent cold night. Then, I looked up at the sky again. The moon was shining bright. Everywhere, the trees, the path I was walking on, the dried grass, the silent pond beside the path were all lit by the moon. I marveled and reveled in this abnormal silence. I became a little more enthusiastic and took a different path, which looked more shrouded and hideous. As I walked a few more paces, I was in the middle of nowhere and deep in the thick forest. The moon was weeping and I laughed under it. Eyes of fire, unlit but now became ablaze. I sat by the silent lake and started staring at the water. The moon’s reflection could be seen. It was weeping over the evil and ominous things lurking in the dark woods. It was sorrowful over witnessing the ghastly morbidities of the dark, all through its time. It was a deep trance. Majestic waves of cold air blew around. All of my senses were working at their sharpest. I lost myself. My thoughts and my visions became one. I contemplated in that nightly silence. As I walked across the pathless lands, I could hear voices in my mind. They were not of people, but just unearthly sounds. I looked up at the sky again. There were no stars now! It was a pitch black coat laid all over my living space, a deep void above me. I looked at nothingness and it was staring right back at me. I became hysterical. I started losing my mind. The sounds in my head grew intense. Fear invoked. The light of the morning star was all gone. I screamed. I could not hear myself anymore. Pain came to my throat, which made me realize I was screaming hard. I was making silent screams. I sighed in lamentation over my helplessness. All grace was lost. I was pulled into a morbid trance and a drowsy void. Desperation crept. I ran from where I was. I was heading nowhere. I did not know in what direction I had to run. I felt a sharp pain in my head. I was losing all the traces of hope. Madness at its peak.
Suddenly, I opened my eyes. There was light. All shades of color were around. The pain in my legs, head and throat was all gone. I was at home. I removed the headphones and looked at the CD, to see which song I was listening, with my eyes closed. It was Opeth’s ‘Under the Weeping Moon’.

But just imagine what it was like to be in that studio recording that album!
How amazing would it have been to have seen that album being recorded live, knowing they are sitting there bored out of their skulls recording over and over, but everytime they start recording one of those songs comes out. I could listen to them take after take, except the drums maybe!

nazgulofmordor said:
I have always been quite fond of the dark. It is not because I am a gothic person or a worshipper of the negative forces of nature. Darkness brings an unquenchable inquisitiveness in me, because of the sense of anonymity it bears. The thirst to know what is there beyond those thick layers of black and why is it that I cannot see or feel, is quite high.
Winter is a harsh season, but I love it for the fact that I was born in this cold time. I love taking short walks outside, even though it might be bitterly wintry. I love it when those thick layers of cold air are around me and make my skin go pale and numb. It was a cold winter night and I set out on my short stroll. The night sky was dark blue and starlit. It was as if, someone had placed these tiny twinkling beads on a huge thick black blanket. I loved the spatial abundance of the sky. And then, there was the moon. It was yellowish and pale. The craters were eminent, that night. I could not make any shape out of them, but they looked ominous. As I walked on my path, I could see trees along the sideway. They were dry of their sap and leafless. The bent posture of the trunk and the naked branches portrayed a deep sorrow.
Slowly, the cold air was biting my skin, which was growing pale. I rubbed my hands together and continued to walk. I started noticing that there were no animals in my sight. No insects making those nocturnal sounds or the occasional raccoon passing by. It was a very silent cold night. Then, I looked up at the sky again. The moon was shining bright. Everywhere, the trees, the path I was walking on, the dried grass, the silent pond beside the path were all lit by the moon. I marveled and reveled in this abnormal silence. I became a little more enthusiastic and took a different path, which looked more shrouded and hideous. As I walked a few more paces, I was in the middle of nowhere and deep in the thick forest. The moon was weeping and I laughed under it. Eyes of fire, unlit but now became ablaze. I sat by the silent lake and started staring at the water. The moon’s reflection could be seen. It was weeping over the evil and ominous things lurking in the dark woods. It was sorrowful over witnessing the ghastly morbidities of the dark, all through its time. It was a deep trance. Majestic waves of cold air blew around. All of my senses were working at their sharpest. I lost myself. My thoughts and my visions became one. I contemplated in that nightly silence. As I walked across the pathless lands, I could hear voices in my mind. They were not of people, but just unearthly sounds. I looked up at the sky again. There were no stars now! It was a pitch black coat laid all over my living space, a deep void above me. I looked at nothingness and it was staring right back at me. I became hysterical. I started losing my mind. The sounds in my head grew intense. Fear invoked. The light of the morning star was all gone. I screamed. I could not hear myself anymore. Pain came to my throat, which made me realize I was screaming hard. I was making silent screams. I sighed in lamentation over my helplessness. All grace was lost. I was pulled into a morbid trance and a drowsy void. Desperation crept. I ran from where I was. I was heading nowhere. I did not know in what direction I had to run. I felt a sharp pain in my head. I was losing all the traces of hope. Madness at its peak.
Suddenly, I opened my eyes. There was light. All shades of color were around. The pain in my legs, head and throat was all gone. I was at home. I removed the headphones and looked at the CD, to see which song I was listening, with my eyes closed. It was Opeth’s ‘Under the Weeping Moon’.

I don't support gay marriage.

You have too much time on your hands. I, on the other hand, don't, which is why I didn't read past the first sentence.
And posting this has taken a lot less time than it would have taken me to read it so don't comment on that.

BRI said:
You have too much time on your hands. I, on the other hand, don't, which is why I didn't read past the first sentence.
And posting this has taken a lot less time than it would have taken me to read it so don't comment on that.

Not only do you win, but I give you a nice e-pat on the back.

Was that the first time you heard the song? I dunno, that sounds unpleasant. I like to listen to Opeth in the forest...but that........... Anyway, yea winter's great.
I hope you don't have one of those episodes during a gig.

i like this song very much actaully, since i'm a fan of atmospheric. really different from the rest of the album, they incorporate a long ambient movement, epical and vivid, remind me of the doom metal band 'until death over takes me'. really a experimental track, similar to how 'to wish your farewell' stand out in morningrise. loves the icy voice in the end.