Underrated Albums

+1 on the Lake of Tears - Forever Autumn disc...love it.

Same with Judas Priest - Pain Killer Thought that was one of their stronger releases since Defenders of the Faith.

Another release that I just loved when it came out was Love/Hate - Blackout In The Red Room

Judas Priest - Ram it DownPainkiller gets A LOT of attention, and for good reason: it's likely one of the top 5 best speed metal albums ever made, ever. But Ram it Down is fucking fast and heavy too, and deserves some of that same attention in my opinion. Awesome album.

Don't get me wrong, I agree this is an underrated album as it seems a lot of people tend to group this with Turbo in terms of their second worst release and it that just isn't fair. It has some AMAZING songs such as the title track, "Heavy Metal" and the epic "Blood Red Skies"; however, I still find this album to be very inconsistent, because it has some major duds too such as "Love Zone" amongst others.

Heed - The Call (someone else noted it and I couldn't agree more.. and their stuff for the 2nd one that I heard is just as good)

Daniel Heiman has one of the greatest voices I have ever heard. To bad they are put on ice (as long anybody have heard anything else?). Thank you for reminding me of Heed, have been listening to it on-line. But never found the album to buy, so now I will start searching again =)

Good topic. too many great stuff out there that was underrated.
bunch of stuff that came to mind now are already mentioned....
So adding,
Artillery - By Inheritance
Dio - Dream Evil
Dio - Lock up the Wolves
Manowar - The Triumph of Steel
Dream Theater -Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence Disc2
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork

I was under the impression that [Opeth Still Life was] widely considered one of the greatest Metal discs ever... not sure how that makes it underrated.

Probably because most people think of Blackwater Park (which is considered their masterpiece) or Deliverance when Opeth is mentioned. For some reason Still Life tends to fly under people's radar.

This is why I mentioned it originally, yep. While their hardcore and longtime fans love the CD, folks who got into them more recently are almost always less familiar with it...partly because it was hard to find in the States for years.

While that may be true, there's a reason why they played BWP in its entirety on the Evolution XX tour. I've talked to many an Opeth fan at their shows and even some in the line at Starbucks and very rarely is SL mentioned. I think the hardcore fans may prefer SL but the casual fan is more familiar with BWP. It may have something to do with the fact that they toured the US for the first time supporting BWP.

I tend to get more requests for songs from BWP and afterwards than from SL and albums before it, except for the occasional "Demon of the Fall" or "When" request. :headbang:

Another release that I just loved when it came out was Love/Hate - Blackout In The Red Room

Yes, VERY underrated, that one!

I don't really think distribution problems have a lot to do with Still Life being unnoticed...by the time Opeth got big over here in the States, file sharing was already very common. Opeth doesn't really do much of anything with that record. Rarely play any songs from it. They just seem to ignore it, so as a result, new fans are oblivious to its existence. Good album.

Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day.
I might be mistaken, but I think that was met with a rather ho-hum response. But I keep coming back to it...I think it's a much better album than Ayreon's 01011001, and the songs "Green and Cream" and "Perfection" are particularly compelling. Really love this album. It restored a lot of my faith in Arjen's songwriting after 01011001.

I might be mistaken, but I think that was met with a rather ho-hum response. But I keep coming back to it...I think it's a much better album than Ayreon's 01011001, and the songs "Green and Cream" and "Perfection" are particularly compelling. Really love this album. It restored a lot of my faith in Arjen's songwriting after 01011001.

Totally agree! It was actually in my top 5 from last year. It was nice seeing Arjen do an actual band project for once.

I liked Guilt Machine quite a bit, but I still think 01011001 destroys it. I just loved the whole Ayreon storyline. Besides, a bunch of songs from Guilt Machine sounded like retreads from the Ayreon stuff, especially from 01011001. If anything, to me the song writing was lacking on Guilt Machine because of this....