Universal Audio introduces the 1176 Collection

Something i have to keep reminding myself here is that no hardware 1176 is exactly the same as another, and different ones work better for different material hence why the UAD bundle gives you 3,
So theres should be no clear winner but we should find what we like best on which material with a bit of luck.
Worth watching the UAD video on this new bundle too if you hevent already.

http://www.towerstudio.net/sneap/1176/Bass.zip

Ok, since I'm not sure how to proceed, here's a first one with BASS. People who can/want to compare with their hardware, the DI is included in the zip file.

All compressors share the same RATIO (20), ATTACK and RELEASE are set to the fastest values (7).
INPUT GAINS have been adjusted so that the VU needle reaches -10 GR without EVER exceeding it.
All files have been normalized to -12db RMS for the same apparent loudness.

Let me know if that's the right way to do it.

So is this how we are doing it?

Ive just realized the Focusrite liquid mix has a threshold control so should i leave that set at its default of -30 ?

Blind test is the only real way to do something like this in a useful way. I think we're diluted it way too much by admitting all these different plug-ins. My whole idea was to just keep it simple and compare the UA to the Waves to the actual hardware.

Blind test is the only real way to do something like this in a useful way. I think we're diluted it way too much by admitting all these different plug-ins. My whole idea was to just keep it simple and compare the UA to the Waves to the actual hardware.

I agree that a blind test is the most useful and unbiased way to do it, but i also think doing all these different versions is the best way to do it, i for example don't use the waves versions and have no intention of buying them but i do own some of the others and may consider upgrading my UAD-1 to a V2 if these are much better.
Testing all of them leaves no stone un-turned and will serve as a great reference for any 1176 questions in the future.

I've done blind tests with tons of options before. In the end there is too much to choose from and nobody bothers because the mind starts to play tricks and they all sound interchangeable. A core, focused group is the only way to do blind tests effectively.

Fair enough, I'll be on the road next week anyway and rather busy after that, so I might as well withdraw with the Purple Audio plugin. After all, I think the unit it's modeled from isn't a pure-blooded Aryan 1176 clone either.

ok if it doesnt work for you then thats fine,
Personally i would still like to hear the same material processed through all of them and then i can compare any 2 that i like at a time, i dont care so much if i dont get to do it blind, so to all the guys running the plugins please let me have a copy of your material whichever way this test goes.
Thanks!

I guess I'm with Ermz on this... after listening to that example on bass that was posted I realized that once there are so many clips it's extremely hard to hear any difference and you start getting biased and you start listening to stuff that isn't really important.

Hardware vs UAD vs Waves?

And I really just want to hear it on snare and that's all there is to it. Would love to hear it in a mix also. :D

Vocals, bass & room mics probably give the best cross section of sounds for the 1176. The vox and bass show you how it sounds on steady-state signals, interlaced with transient spikes and plosives, while the room mic lets you hear how well they got the distortion characteristics in 'all-buttons' mode. All 3 sources can be absolutely pounded in order to really test how well the plug-ins hold up

Ok....I re-bid with a room track and the Ik Multimedia Black76 on it.

The settings that I used are:
All buttons (of course)
Attack: 3
Release: 7
Output: -20.0dB
Input: as for bass, played with it until the GR never pass -10dB

The dry track is not normalized but the processed track is normalized at -12db RMS.

Dry track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1436721/Room_Dry.wav
Black76: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1436721/Room_Black76.wav

Download zip for your tests: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1436721/Room_Dry.zip