Universal: Comments (MODERATED!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll notice nobody with a critical view of the album is saying "oh, you guys who like it just like it because..." and are allowing their praise to go unquestioned. It's their opinions and they know better than I why they feel that way. Why shouldn't this go both ways?

FWIW- I did think about Oystein's comments about it being a "return" when I first got it, but I rarely put much stock in things like that. The band's perspective on their music and that of their listeners is often quite different, and I'm aware of that, so I tried to avoid thinking too much about what the album was supposed to be and concern myself with what I perceived it to be. The processes of creating and observing are so radically different, it's rare the artist and audience see eye-to-eye.

You'll notice nobody with a critical view of the album is saying "oh, you guys who like it just like it because..." and are allowing their praise to go unquestioned. It's their opinions and they know better than I why they feel that way. Why shouldn't this go both ways?

I think you need to dig deeper than that. I think people in part question other people's opinions much to the desire to check on their own view, to see if they themselves are missing something etc.

I also believe it is not wrong to try to change someone's set opinion, as we have seen there have been a few attempts at that here by pointing towards and introducing and re-introducing different factors such as: number of spins, sound systems, preconception among other things.

No one here hits or misses with their opinion, but when you give your opinion publicly you also leave yourself open for the scrutiny of others and thus assumptions are made.

If we take one step backwards here in this situation (if you will), you'll realize that you are all actually making assumptions on a related item, Borknagar's new album. Of course, I realize that we are actually asking for comments, but I'm sure you see my point.

I think you need to dig deeper than that. I think people in part question other people's opinions much to the desire to check on their own view, to see if they themselves are missing something etc.

I also believe it is not wrong to try to change someone's set opinion, as we have seen there have been a few attempts at that here by pointing towards and introducing and re-introducing different factors such as: number of spins, sound systems, preconception among other things.

No one here hits or misses with their opinion, but when you give your opinion publicly you also leave yourself open for the scrutiny of others and thus assumptions are made.

If we take one step backwards here in this situation (if you will), you'll realize that you are all actually making assumptions on a related item, Borknagar's new album. Of course, I realize that we are actually asking for comments, but I'm sure you see my point.

please come to the vintersorg forum and moderate it too!!!! :lol:
we need heeeeelp!!!!

(of course i'm joking :p)

I'm all for discussion, I'm not opposed to a debate on the various qualities and interpretations of the album. It just seemed that a lot of the responses were more like blithe dismissals of opposing opinions than any attempt to open a debate.

Things like "they just want it to be like album X" or "they just wanted it to be grim and black metal" or "they're just jealous of Vintersorg's voice" aren't constructive or helpful. They're closing the door on discussion by dismissing less-than-exuberant opinions as being irrational, rather than as opposing, but possibly valid perspectives. Especially when those of us who've said they're not astounded, blown away, and utterly changed in an intimate manner by the album have attempted to address those kinds of issues to begin with.

Of course, to point all this out is seen as over-reactive and hyper-sensitive.

I don't think it matters how people react to other's opinions. The band wants comments, and I think it's in fact useful for the band to see people get a little angsty about this sort of thing. Not because, say, Tyr enjoys watching people get bent up about their opinions. When people get passionate, they restate their opinions over and over again, and hey, that gives the band a sense of what the people who listen to their music over and over through a long period of time (people like us) think about their effort. The sophistication or irrationality of the particular opinions is irrelevant; it's useful in its own way to know a certain kind of fan doesn't like that you're not "black metal" anymore as it is to know one of your bass playing fans is digging the sound coming from Tyr's super saiyan fretless bass guitar.

But enough of that. Who cares if someone got pissed off. I don't. ^_^ Nor should anyone else.

haha very funny, you guys. :lol:

Hoping that Mr. "Island & Stone" aka mr. "Brown" aka "Øystein Brun" could shed some light on the cd artwork mystery.

Here's the question again (originally posted by Oerko):
Why did you guys changed the design of the disc itself? i mean, the last 6 records got the dragon- symbol on it and the last 4 records the first letter of the album`s name in addition. I always liked that style.

The Island and Stone of the Brown man from Garnes? Interesting :) .

I am 'he whose faith saved him from the lion's den', i.e. Daniel. Hehe.

i love swedish/norwegian surnames because they often have beautiful meanings, connected with nature.
like hedlund, if i not wrong the translation is moor-grove :)

Hed = moor, interesting. So Mr V is 'the man of the moor-grove'.

Andreas comes from Greek andros, just like the work androcentriscm. That's why androcentrism means the placing of Andreas Hedlund 'at the center of one's view of the world and its culture and history'. Whoops, I mean men!

Status
Not open for further replies.