Untrue

Apr 25, 2004
Oxfordshire, UK
I'm sure there's probably been a topic about this already (in which case I'm sorry) but those of us who own Brave Yester Days will now know the extra song recorded during the Sounds of Decay sessions that did not end up on the EP, 'Untrue'...this song seems to me to be a kind of short, outro type thing...but, I absolutely adore it! I think it's an absolutely genius, quality song! It's quite an unique and original idea for a song really, and even for Katatonia takes monontony and repetitiveness to great levels... I love the windy sound effects, they envoke feelings of bleak, empty barren landscapes (and it kind of reminds me of a bit in Final Fantasy VII :p), the clean guitars create a totally haunting, dissonant but utterly infectious melody that along with the wind creates this totally desolate atmosphere and then when the heavy guitars come in and just repetitively pound at you and Mikael's stunning growls howl word and word and then suddenly, back to the relative piece of the haunting landscape images in my head, it's a short but sweet and utterly mesmerising, stunning and great song in my view.

It seems weird to me that it was never included on Sounds of Decay, it fits perfectly on there I think and would've made a great outro and a perfect end to a perfect record IMO (when I think about it in contrast despite the similarities and how we always lump Sounds of Decay together with BMD, they're quite different records in terms of sound and atmosphere in my view, BMD seems (even) more dark, numb, twisted, pained and nihilistic, whilst SOD is more crunchy and gritty, disturbing, colder, and more desolate...I dunno why but the colours used in the seperate artworks...tho both being very dark and bleak, represent this quite well to me)...I think I remember reading some comments from the band on this song but can't remember...but what does everyone else think to this song anyway?

I love the lyrics too, one of the only song's lyrics written by Blackheim! :worship:

"I know I said I would be here
But your wish was something else
And many times we said forever
Death believes we are untrue..."

i go along with all that you've just said.. could even get something from that the connection to FF7 u made.. since its kinda mystic and modern.. and for sure give us some grey image on mind..

and yeah i do too think that SoD has a reason not to be BMD..

Ahh wow man, thanks for replying that's so cool you agree, especially with the FF7 part :)...I agree completely, the bleak modern mysterious atmosphere rings true in both the song and the game (obviously some parts more than others) and in fact I'd say the band as a whole could probably provide a pretty good soundtrack to that game (it's weird, the piano pic on the back of BMD always reminded me of the bit where Cloud is in Nibelheim and plays Tifa's piano, too...) it was the windy sound effect that reminded me of a particular point in the game, I can't remember where now, but you're in a desert or somewhere and there's no music, just that calm desolate windy sound...but maybe subconsciously I was thinking of the artistic, atmospheric and imagery links between the game and the band (I think any period of the band's history could apply to different parts of the game, too!) seeing the Silent Hill thread I guess I shoudl really post this there instead heh...

But yeah man definitely, I was listening to SOD today (on Brave Yester Days with Untrue also, I still think it fits great on there, sounds so ominous with the numb, dissonant end to Inside the Fall going into Untrue :p) and despite the obvious similarities, is really quite different to BMD in many ways...it would be interesting to see how the band would've sounded if they continued using growled vocals after this release, though DO does kinda seem to be a kind of logical progression from BMD - SOD to that album...

Anyone else have any feelings on this song?? :loco: