upcoming Maiden tour to focus on 1st FOUR albums!

SoundMaster said:
That would be awesome! And, based on the recent DVD, it doesn't appear as if there's any animosity between the two camps. Perhaps Smallwood can work it out?!

Dunno about this...
My friends saw DiAnno twice and on both ocassions he was bashing Maiden and basing 3/4 of his set on Maiden songs at the same time... :)

Heck, bring out Blaze for a couple of his strong tracks as well....it would be a dream-show. :headbang:

Blaze can hide behind Bruce's renditions of his songs.
I remember downloading bootleg off Dynamo 2000., the 2nd concert on BNW tour and hearing Bruce singing Sign Of The Cross, almost fell off the chair... So much more power, intensity and emotion in his performance.

Anyway, I think seeing Paul belt our "Phantom of the Opera" or "Killers" again, on stage with Steve, would kick total ass!

I actually never liked how Bruce sung Paul's songs...
I absolutely hate the way they destroyed Charlotte and Prowler on that '88 single (can't remember which one). And it's not just Bruce, I mean, Prowler theme being played without wah pedal - :yuk:

SickBoy said:
Dunno about this...
My friends saw DiAnno twice and on both ocassions he was bashing Maiden and basing 3/4 of his set on Maiden songs at the same time... :)

I actually never liked how Bruce sung Paul's songs...
I absolutely hate the way they destroyed Charlotte and Prowler on that '88 single (can't remember which one). And it's not just Bruce, I mean, Prowler theme being played without wah pedal - :yuk:

Agreements and disagreements.

DiAnno time has long been gone. The guy never coped with being separated from Maiden, he never made anything interesting on his own, he keeps living on past glories and his voice is no longer the amazing experience of "Killers" (one of the best metal albums of all time).

I have that remake of 'Prowler' as part of the bonus CD of "Somewhere In Time" Castle reissue (the best reissues ever, of the coutless ones Maiden has done). And I must say I like it a lot, I'm not going to say it is better or worse than the original, just a good song and Bruce did his job throughly.

Besides if they are going to play the first four albums they also should:

1. besides kicking Gers (dead horse floggin' time!)
  2. call Dennis Stratton to give a hand (so they can have Praying Mantis in the bill as opener which I'll love to see)
  3. donate more money to Clive Burr fund because sadly he'll not be able to join them

Personally i dont think Paul Dianno jumping upon stage in the US will happen . I think and agree it would be cool for some of the former members to jump up for maybe a song or 2 at 1 or 2 gigs. but I would believe its not gonna happen on a tour basis As an event (or a type of for lack of a better word retro stunt/celebration) maybe .They are not current members and celebrations for 1 or 2 gigs is one thing but being former members I dont see being on stage for a tour a neccessary or feasable thing.

Something like a 1 time celebration show with money going to Clive would be a cool treat ..1 night only have a bunch of guests come out and jam to songs, but fans who have never seen these classic songs deserve to see them played correctlly not by part time musicians who although part of its earliest history are not as responsible for its commercial success as the people behind Number and Peice of Mind. I loved the Killers album when it came out and here in the states i was the only guy i knew who had even heard of them ..Believe it or not, MTV would play wrathchild and Iron Maiden videos once and a while but it was the Number album that started the ball rolling so to speak. Iron Maidens commercial success strated with NUmber and any member before that wouldnt be coming on this tour. Even CLive health matters and all he is a former member and is not fair to Nicko who has been the Maiden drummer for 20 some odd years.

The music drastically changed styles with the addition of Bruce so much so that i was hesitant on its first few listiens because the Killers album at the time was why i loved Maiden and Number just didnt have the same feel and sound. It was like the band had changed members not just the singer . Pauls Maiden had a punk energy that got me into the band but it was Number that took Maiden to the status they enjoyed during the hey days of the 80s. it was a new direction that at first i was reluctant to accept but after listiening to the Number album a few more times it overtook all my earliest reservations and Bruces Maiden became what i would spend my high school years listiening to.

I have always said at 37 ,Maiden on the Powerslave tour was the best concert i have ever been too. when i put on LIVe after Death its like reliving my high school days and a great musical experaince as well as trip down memory lane for so many other reasons. I have never been crazy about Mr. Gers and when Adrian returned hoped he would be gone but i give them credit for being stand up guys he was a member of the band and they were not gonna kick him out because of Adrians return. I have always respected that and he is a member of the group now whether he had anything to do with the classic period or not and has every right to be on stage for a classic tour such as this. Anyone in a band should agree.. like him or not, he is part of Iron Maidens line up and no band would kick him out( except Kiss) to promote there earlier work (which he gets financial commissions on anyway)just because he wasnt in the studio at the time. My only problem with Gers is a selfish one and just my opinion.

Adrian and Dave recorded those classic songs and when i see him taking some solos that bothers me. I have gotta be the easiest guy in the world and the only thing that upsets me is Mr. Gers playing solos and intros to classic tunes when the guys who played them are right next to him playing rythym to his lead. The songs he recorded and wrote fine but taking intros and solos on any classic song when Dave Murray and Adrian Smith are on that very stage ...that i have a problem with.

I think people who have never seen Maiden or havent seen them in years deserve the total Maiden treatmant at 100 % and bringing Paul Dianno Dennis Stratton and anyone else out is unnecessary on this tour. Maiden arent gonna be around for to much longer so lets see the current line up on this tour give 100% and not be playin musical chairs in between songs its to disruptive for a full lenght tour and as great as the first albums where those guys are not current members so the current line up should be playing these classic songs for the fans.

OBviouslly, its just gonna be great to see them again and that is all that really matters because who knows this could be the last tour and no Maiden would really suck. WOW this is very long and i apoligize for rambling

Fred B said:
WOW this is very long and i apoligize for rambling

I know! :) Don't worry about it. Now and then we all feel the need to rant.

Just one request. Could you put some spaces in your text?

It would make it easier to read for everyone. If people see such a large piece of text they probably will not read it. That is not your intention, right? :)

As far as I'm concerned, Maiden could just go out and tour playing their old stuff and I would go see them every chance I got. That's the stuff I grew up on, and they could honestly do the first 5 albums - Iron Maiden through Powerslave, and that would just be killer. Hearing new material is always cool, but I wouldn't consider it mandatory to go see them, and I wouldn't think it was flogging a dead horse if they did it that way. Could any band pull that off? Absolutely not - but bands like Maiden, Priest etc - give me all I can get because enough is never enough when it comes to the classics.

JB