UPS

Drummerrrrr?

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I was looking at getting a line regulator but have come across an 480w APC UPS for not a whole lot more. Anyone use one? I'm only really worried about buying new batteries in a few years for over the price of the unit!

I should mention, the UPS is also a line regulator.

If you live in an area that doesn't have a lot of blackouts (loss of power) then it really isn't necessary. Retail stores spewed a bunch of bullshit in the early 2000's that if you didn't have a UPS and there was a brownout/blackout that new computers were so powerful they would blow up and would give stories about people who just came in weeks before and bought a new computer and chose not to purchase a UPS and a power outage fried their $1000 dollar.

They are great if you do important work that can be lost to power outages, but simple regular saving can fix the problem, and a surge protector is more than plenty in protecting from lightning strikes and it takes a massive over voltage, much greater than grid fluctuations to damage computers and other devices.

If brownouts/blackouts and large voltage spikes are a concern to you, then they are great, minus the fact you have to replace the battery every three years or so even if it never goes to battery power. They don't last as long time wise as they are rated for. A 500W rated for 1 hour at 500W draw may give you 30 minutes at half power, if you are lucky, on a brand new battery. As the battery gets older, they get much worse and eventually stop working. Replacement batteries cost typically about half the price of a brand new UPS so most people just buy a brand new one when they go bad.

If its really important you would be better off getting the more expensive $1000+ UPS devices, if not, don't really worry about it. They do still work great as a surge protector, just don't expect the battery to last long.

My panamax UPS that ran almost $2100 has been in non stop in service for almost 5 years now. I have an extra battery pack ( 2 12volt gel cell motorcycle starter batteries per pack) thats wired in to give me about 2 hours of power has never given me a hitch, both batteries still pass the cycles test I run once per month. keep in mind I bought it when I had a large analog console with 2 power supplies for times when the studio line voltage would drop below 110, which happens a lot when running all the analog gear and both power supplies. The low voltage would fuck with the automation computer, normally freezing it, requiring a full re-boot and a lost session. I dont "need" it anymore but it is very nice to have just in case. If your not runnning a bunch of outboard gear then an apc would probably kill two birds with one stone for you, but if you do have a lot of current draw you might want to look into the Furman/panamax line.

If you live in an area that doesn't have a lot of blackouts (loss of power) then it really isn't necessary. Retail stores spewed a bunch of bullshit in the early 2000's that if you didn't have a UPS and there was a brownout/blackout that new computers were so powerful they would blow up and would give stories about people who just came in weeks before and bought a new computer and chose not to purchase a UPS and a power outage fried their $1000 dollar.

They are great if you do important work that can be lost to power outages, but simple regular saving can fix the problem, and a surge protector is more than plenty in protecting from lightning strikes and it takes a massive over voltage, much greater than grid fluctuations to damage computers and other devices.

If brownouts/blackouts and large voltage spikes are a concern to you, then they are great, minus the fact you have to replace the battery every three years or so even if it never goes to battery power. They don't last as long time wise as they are rated for. A 500W rated for 1 hour at 500W draw may give you 30 minutes at half power, if you are lucky, on a brand new battery. As the battery gets older, they get much worse and eventually stop working. Replacement batteries cost typically about half the price of a brand new UPS so most people just buy a brand new one when they go bad.

If its really important you would be better off getting the more expensive $1000+ UPS devices, if not, don't really worry about it. They do still work great as a surge protector, just don't expect the battery to last long.

Ahhh cool man, I'm thinking it might be overkill. Cheers for the info!

My panamax UPS that ran almost $2100 has been in non stop in service for almost 5 years now. I have an extra battery pack ( 2 12volt gel cell motorcycle starter batteries per pack) thats wired in to give me about 2 hours of power has never given me a hitch, both batteries still pass the cycles test I run once per month. keep in mind I bought it when I had a large analog console with 2 power supplies for times when the studio line voltage would drop below 110, which happens a lot when running all the analog gear and both power supplies. The low voltage would fuck with the automation computer, normally freezing it, requiring a full re-boot and a lost session. I dont "need" it anymore but it is very nice to have just in case. If your not runnning a bunch of outboard gear then an apc would probably kill two birds with one stone for you, but if you do have a lot of current draw you might want to look into the Furman/panamax line.

This is a fairly low range one, retailed for around $400 and I'm only running a small mobile setup with an interface, preamps, computer and a few various additional units.

Out of curiosity, how much power did your desk pull?

If thats the case the APC would probably be more then able to suit your setup, just as long as it can handle at least 600va, anything less would be not worth spending the cash on.

I ran all of my gear through my UPS on a 25 amp breaker. Each PS had a 7.5amp draw nominally. It could hit as high as 10 amps on power up per supply. I wouldn't even bring the rack gear on until both PS's were on for at least 20min.