Used 5150 vs. D.I.Y. Amp Kit

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
I'm almost ready to make a jump on a used 5150, but one more intriguing option has crept up.

What about Amp Kits? I've read a little about them here and there on this forum, and tried to do a google search to find more info, but not much came up. I don't have an extensive electronics background, I can't read schematics (yet) and the extent of my soldering skills is pickup swapping, but the very idea of putting together my own clone of a sweet amp has me nearly creaming my jeans.

Basically I'm looking for a bit of direction from anyone who has any experience with these. Should I run the other way, pick up a used amp and forget about it, or find a kit and dive in and get my hands dirty?

I know that building an amp could take quite a bit of time and patience (two things I do have) and might be a bit beyond my current skill level, but I'm willing to do vast amounts of research to learn whatever is necessary. Even if the end result didn't come out quite as sweet as a "real" amp, I think the pride of using a product of my own labor would more than makeup for it, as long as I don't accidentally kill myself or burn the house down as a result.

Any advice?

hmm with an amp kit id possibaly say stick to something small to start off with, like little fuzz or OD boxes, and understand the principles of soldering and what each component does.

Plus in amps your dealing with higher voltages and current, so if something goes wrong its gnna make a bigger boom than messing around with 9V electronics

yeah just to see what your up against

my first couple of projects were a gain booster (for a nice push on a valve amp) and also a harmonizer, using a special IC chip that did shift functions of 1/3, 1/5 and 1/7 i think, just a random one i used to know a few good sites for schematics, ud have to buy your own parts and vero board, but it can be very rewarding, but yeah, definately have a good go at a few smaller projects, maybe work up to a preamp of a larger scale (as pedals essentially are)

was just actually putting together a parts list for a ts9 clone, however ive decided on looking for a dirt cheap SD1 on ebay and modding it with all the different 808/ts9 mods out there, and compare it with the SD1 i have already. will save alot of time money and effor this way, as the sd1 is a tad grainy sounding

I remember trying to do some super-simple fuzz with the goal to enclose it in a plastic Cassette Tape case. I completely never finished that shit. :(

Haha, I think an old walkman (from back when they made 'em out of METAL) would be a better idea for durability's sake

was just actually putting together a parts list for a ts9 clone, however ive decided on looking for a dirt cheap SD1 on ebay and modding it with all the different 808/ts9 mods out there, and compare it with the SD1 i have already. will save alot of time money and effor this way, as the sd1 is a tad grainy sounding

Mr. Broll should be able to assist! ;) And will probably also be able to show you how to make it a washing machine as well :lol:

Haha, yeah, I don't doubt your abilities Mark, I just was referring to Jeff's unhealthy knowledge of OD pedals :lol: