Used to diss Akerfeldt for losing his growls, karma caught up with me

Lifemocker

Jun 16, 2016
I think we all agree his growls nowadays suck ass (and sucked since like 2010). Used to be pretty vocal about this opinion online, thinking dude's just lazy and shit.

I was also working on my growls and around 2018 i felt i was in a pretty good place reaching the peak in like 2020. Then I lost a buddy doing clean vocals, mine clean vocals sucked so decided to practice a little. Years passed and since i overall got bored with metal I didnt growl for a while.

Fast forward to 2024, had some opportunity to growl again and... I fucking suck. Hard lmao. Throat not only hurts when I try to do anything besides boring one tone growl, pain doesnt give any benefits either since the highs are awful and deep growls sound empty and forced. Thought maybe i was out of practice, but after few months I give up. Theyre gone lol. Looks i traded my growls for mediocre rock vocals. Maybe thats how human throat works, cant have both.

That being said - sorry mr Akerfeldt, now we both suck at growling but at least I've got a feeling you didnt suck on purpose lol.

Unexpected forum necromancy, haha.

Mikael's much better these days than he was back in 2010-ish, feels like he puts more effort into the tone. He doesn't seem to enjoy doing them much anymore though, which is probably why they sound less energetic.

Yeah I was like "nobody cares" but then I thought it would be funny to post a thread here and see if anyone is still alive.

I saw recent-ish official recordings of lives and meh, still sucks. Extremely sad that they played Black Rose Immortal so late.

Black Rose Immortal
What's with everyone's obsession with the song btw? It has some great riffs here and there, but I dunno know if it's even the best song on the album. I feel like its status among the fanbase is, ironically, boosted by never being played live lol

Its a good song, definitely not best or close to it. But the fact that its so long and as you said, never being played live definitely boosted its popularity or meme factor at least.

Reactions: DarkGift