Using 2 mics....i got a ?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
Ok i know about phasing issues and how they are a bitch.....but i seem to do ok with it for the most part. What im wondering is ...IF using 2 mics on the same cone in a 4x12 cab, and they are touching, is that bad...does it cause interference or anything if the mics are touching eachother?

Thanks!

I don't think "interference" is the right word (makes me think of radio waves or other unrelated electronic things), but if the mics are touching each other and they are in close proximity to a blazing loud guitar cab, chances are that they will be slightly vibrating against each other, thus creating and "hearing" additional sound that you don't want on your tracks. It may be so quiet that it would be hard to hear, but regardless, I would never recommend setting up two mics in such a way that they're touching. There's no need!

I don't think "interference" is the right word (makes me think of radio waves or other unrelated electronic things), but if the mics are touching each other and they are in close proximity to a blazing loud guitar cab, chances are that they will be slightly vibrating against each other, thus creating and "hearing" additional sound that you don't want on your tracks. It may be so quiet that it would be hard to hear, but regardless, I would never recommend setting up two mics in such a way that they're touching. There's no need!

Yea man, never thought of that. Thanks!