Using a SSL Bus Comp on guitars/drums?

jackobme

Feb 6, 2014
Seattle
I'm on the search for the glue. And i mean extra sticky. I want to try some different forms of compression, but i love how the SSL bus pulls everything together. I'm wondering about throwing this on the guitar bus or the drums bus. Considering these are stereo channels, i'm assuming a stereo compressor would make sense?

the ssl is actually considered as a favorite on drumbus as far as I know.
Seen it on the guitarbus too. I think Andrew Wade said he likes to use it to give them some attack for the palm mute parts

VBC grey on drums and 2bus here. The guitars get hit by in on the way over anyway. I remember Collin Richardson saying that and it clicked to me.

Put the cla-76 bluey on my master bus the other day, it was hitting 1db of GR at most, but it adds a really cool saturation that brings the glue. It was on a fairly open sounding accoustic track though so YMMV

How much gain reduction do people generally do with, for example, the VBC gray on a drum buss? I got it last weekend and I've been testing it out with around 4-7 db and it sounds fantastic, but I'm afraid of killing the transients.

How do you use a compressor on the guitar buss, what settings? Kurt Ballou says he uses it to "auto-mix" guitars instead of automating them, but so far I haven't been able to get an even level on the guitar buss without harming the tone and transients.

Marshy explain dual mono? As in put it on individual guitar bus's?
I'm also very interested in that,
but I'm guessing in dual mono the right an left side of the guitar bus are treated separately,
and the plugin looks at it as 2 individual sources, without any crosstalk or other connections you might have in stereo between L/R ????

Marshy explain dual mono? As in put it on individual guitar bus's?

You can apply a single instance on a stereo bus, so long as the plug-in itself supports dual mono. What it means is that the plug-in has separate detector paths for both sides of the stereo image, and separate compression paths for both sides of the image. So if one guitar is chugging along heavily on the left and pinging the detector threshold, the other side which may be holding a chord which wouldn't ping it will otherwise stay uncompressed. The result is cleaner compression across a stereo guitar bus.

I haven't actually looked into whether VBC has that feature. I still use Waves SSLComp for parallel drum bus and some guitar compression. Down to 4dB GR that plug-in is the most authentic to all the GSSLs I've owned. The biggest downer is the plasticky digital attack, but no digital compressor, including VBC, I've tried has circumvented that problem.

I would not use it in dual mono. The single sidechain that controls both left and right channels simultaneoulsy is what I think is doing the "glue". And it makes double or quad-guitars sound tighter as a whole.

On the drum bus, I always have a copy of the (Waves) SSL bus comp. Sometimes on the guitar bus and for sure on the mix bus. Always just 1-2 dB of GR.

What settings are you guys using for SSL type compressors on the guitar bus?
For the Waves one:
Threshold: 1-2 (max!) dB of gain reduction. Just so much that it does some glueing without actually making that compression effect audible
Release: fastest (100ms)
Attack: slowest (30ms) to keep the transients in place. 2nd slowest (10ms) if I want to tame the attack (rarely)
Ratio: 1:4. I'd prefer 1:2 for more subtle compression, but I never liked how the Waves sounds in 1:2 mode

The threshold confuses me on the SSL Comp. 0 is 0 compression yes? so why is there + gain reduction and - gain reduction?

Vihaleipä;10850651 said:
That is because it IS compressing :lol: If you want less compression turn threshold all way clockwise and start dialing it in from there.

Thats what i figured, thats how i had been using it. But why isn't +15 just 0? Its just confusing to me, no other compressors have a + and - on their threshold. How can the knee go above 0. There is nothing above 0. its just 0.