Using two vocal microphones at once? Stupid question?

Fecal Tone

Fecal Member
Nov 29, 2010
Hi all. First thread and all - don't wanna piss anyone off with repetition... I might have found a question that hasn't been asked yet! (I did search! I promise!)

Has anyone here tried recording vocals using two mics at once? I'm not talking about ambient mics either - just two mics in front of a vocalist.

Am I missing something obvious that has stopped this question being asked before? Like for example unworkable phase issues that are fine for other things but not vocals?

This forum's a wealth of info - someone should compile it (minus all the absolute bollocks like this thread) and sell it as a book. Then mugs would buy it, you'd all get rich and people would still be none-the-wiser about why their tone sucks and if they should use two mics for vocals! Win-win!

(P.S: I'm English but this isn't sarcasm and I really wanna know if the phase would be a stumbling block of this theory.)

yep.
used a condenser and dynamic next to each other.
Just have to make sure they're in phase with each other.

Thanks for the reply.

Did it sound any good at all? Was it even worth it?

Can it be used to mask a shite condenser? Would an SM57 mask a cheapo condenser for example (or in that case would they mask each other as neither are ideal for vox!)?

Thanks for the help!

I did it with a 57 and a condenser for the vocals for my band's latest CD...But it was more to test which mic I thought sounded best. We ended up going with the 57 (transformer removed).

Last edited by a moderator:
seems kind of pointless to me. Impossible to keep in phase unless the singer is glued in position, so you'd think any phase issues would well outweigh the benefit of using two mics. Only makes sense if you're not sure which mic to use on a singer... but even then, that's just another symptom of not committing and leaving things to the mixing stage that just shouldn't be.
Just my take, i'm sure there are exceptions.

I use 3 when I track vocalists and pick the one I think that sounds best either for the section or for his voice. In general. You can also get some really cool "effects" with the phasing issues. I dont think I have ever had a project I have used more then one at a time though, as in I have never "blended" them

Usually use a 57, an e835, and a MXL2010 (only vocal condenser I have right now...lol)

seems kind of pointless to me. Impossible to keep in phase unless the singer is glued in position

Well, as the mics themselves are not moving away from the other, if you're in phase, you'll still be even if the singer moves back and forth. Unless your mics don't both point to the same direction, or the guy does circle around the mic.
:)

I've done a couple of projects using an AKG C414 paired with an SM57 and SM7 - it opens up some cool possibilities if you want to play with the texture of the vocal. If you line up the diaphragms of the mics I haven't noticed any phase problems - though theoretically they can/will occur, in practice it's too slight to notice.

I've also quite often used a room mic in conjunction with a close mic - check out the new self-titled Run With The Hunted record (ex. the chorus/bridge of "Signs of Life") and you can hear the room mic all over the place:

Run With The Hunted "S/T"

Cheers.

I've done this loads. I used a ribbon mic for the warmth and paired it with a 57 to have something with more clarity. Also blended a 57 with condensors. You've to pay attention to where the mics diaphragms actually are- like my ribbon mic would be sticking out a bit more as the diaphragm is in the centre of the mic.
Best way to set it up is to flip the phase of one of the mics and move it around after each test to find a spot where it sounds like lots of nasally qualities, un flip the phase and you should have a nice sounding vocal.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they use two mics on Corey Taylor for the slipknot stuff.. like one for the spoken/whispered/sung sections and one for the screams, this was due to vocals being at different levels and the way he was shifting styles during single takes (otherwise the mic would distort when he went from spoken to screamed)... basically you just set them up next to each other check the phase and adjust the levels individually depending on what each mic is being used for...

-P

A SM57 can totally kick ass for vocals

+1 if I hadn't sold all my stuff when I moved to NC from GA, I'd pretty much record all my heavy vocals with the SM57.. I like it alot... when I get some new ones I think I'm going to try fredman style vocal micing... just for the fuck of it... phase might get weird though, unless I just use one pop filter and make sure I'm always right up on it in the same place...

-P

Well, as the mics themselves are not moving away from the other, if you're in phase, you'll still be even if the singer moves back and forth.

Ha! Good point! I can't believe I didn't think of that!

Thanks all - I'll try it out in future.