Usual Outcome?

Everyone raves about the parking.
As I said, I was only there once, but we all had to park at the train station a about a block or so away.
(For some reason, they didn't allow parking in the lot by the venue).

Will there be parking for the fest? Does it depend on other things going on at the strip mall?

I've never had any issue parking in the strip mall parking, but maybe they were trying to keep things separate for some reason.

And if you do have to walk a block...so what? Imagine the show at the Metro or the HoB...or anywhere in the city...where unless you got lucky finding a spot, you would still have to either walk further or possibly even pay up to $20 if you chose to park in a parking garage. Please keep that in mind when complaining.

Rob - I am not complaining.
I was just explaining my experience.
I had always heard that parking is very good there.
I was surprised though the one time when I was there that they didn't allow parking there. I was just asking if anyone had experienced something similar.

But now I hear that some people *have* parked in front of the venue. So yeah, it would be nice if we could get to the bottom of this and get a complete explanation of the parking situation there!

Neil

If it means that much to you...you can call the venue at this number...708-479-5356.

I've never in my life complained about how far I've ever had to walk from my car to the venue, so is it really that big of a deal? I walked (actually ran) 5+ in the rain to get to a venue, and I've walked what seemed was like a mile to get inside Alpine Valley for a show...so I really can't sympathize...it's really about the METAL...and it's not METAL to complain about parking. :p

I guess I can understand if you or someone you're with is handicapped...or if you weigh 300+ lbs & your knees can't take it. Although, if that's the case, you may want to reconsider going to the fest because there really isn't much seating for you to rest your knees inside the venue...sorry!

Rob - I am not complaining.
I was just explaining my experience.
I had always heard that parking is very good there.
I was surprised though the one time when I was there that they didn't allow parking there. I was just asking if anyone had experienced something similar.

That's cool...it just came across as complaining...especially within the context of the most recent posts, and also with you qualifying your post by saying "Everyone raves about the parking." So all I saw after that was a huge "BUT...."

No biggy...I apologize if I misinterpretted your post. ;)

It's all good.
I think not everyone has been to the Pearl Room yet.
New venue = people possibly questioning things like parking, nearby restaurants, etc...

I've never in my life complained about how far I've ever had to walk from my car to the venue, so is it really that big of a deal? I walked (actually ran) 5+ in the rain to get to a venue, and I've walked what seemed was like a mile to get inside Alpine Valley for a show...so I really can't sympathize...it's really about the METAL...and it's not METAL to complain about parking.

Oh, yeah, like Jason, I wasn't complaining at all. It was just curiosity. I'd simply been confused, not bothered, by my previous parking experiences there, and since I saw all the talk about parking in this thread, I thought it might be a good source of info.

I certainly have no problem walking long distances (or even running, after the show); I usually park really far away from places in the city rather than wasting time trying to find closer spots. Although I have to admit, walking jacket-less out of that January Enslaved show was one of the freezingest experiences of my entire life! (though mostly due to a fever I had coming on, I think)

Still, I don't think the parking at the Pearl Room can really be sold as a "positive", simply because ample, nearby, and free parking is an automatic expectation at a suburban venue.

Neil

It's only 2-3 blocks away from the Metra station, so no one from the city should have any excuses....unless of course they're just lazy. :p

Hmm....have you ever taken a look at the Metra schedule? Sure, as long as the concert is done before the last train back at 10:30, it works out great!

Again, not a complaint (I don't live in the city so I'd never take Metra there anyway), I just got a good laugh the first time I saw that the Pearl Room actually listed it as a transportation option on their website!

Neil

At the Kamalot/Epica shw I got great parking....but later I saw people being sent away because the lot was full. I guess you just need to get there early to get a good spot. Never an issue for me. Even downtown Ili ve a block from the Riv and Aragon and a one block walk to the El that takes me right to the House of Blues and two stops to the Metro...I am lucky in that area I guess.

Yeah, I REALLY miss living in the city sometimes.
I didn't live too far from Bob (I was more in the Wrigley area).
Metro or Vic was walking distance.
House of Blues, Aragon, Riv was a short train ride away.... :(

Hmm....have you ever taken a look at the Metra schedule? Sure, as long as the concert is done before the last train back at 10:30, it works out great!

Again, not a complaint (I don't live in the city so I'd never take Metra there anyway), I just got a good laugh the first time I saw that the Pearl Room actually listed it as a transportation option on their website!

Neil

True...I guess it would only work for people coming from the city without cars if they're willing to stay at one of the hotels. Otherwise, I agree...it really doesn't help...although, it still gives those people the chance to go to the show without having to rely on anyone with a car...just gotta spend the extra coin on a hotel room. But hey, that comes with the territory when you don't have a car...gotta deal with such inconveniences.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for people without cars who "choose" not to have a car. Just as I'm sure they have no sympathy for me to have to drive 30-60 minutes to get almost anywhere because of where I CHOOSE to live. I love where I live & just accept having to drive long distances for stuff I want or like to do. It's that simple. :p

Regarding the parking, it must a "get there early"
thing for the "good" parking or something... I know
the other businesses in the strip mall probably
have a certain number of spaces they get or
want to make sure people aren't discouraged from
coming. Parking in the Metra station and walking
the 3 minutes or whatever is a plus to me from
the standpoint of not paying and not worrying
about having a spot to park like in the city.

Regarding the train, it IS a huge positive thing, if
you're willing to plan on spending the weekend
down there. I know a handful of people that routinely
head down there for shows and just spend the
night. Transport to the show from the city should
NOT be an excuse unless you simply can't afford
or just don't want to spend money on a hotel room.

I have been to the Pearl Room for:
Morbid Angel, Behemoth, Krisiun
Six Feet Under, Decapitated, Krisiun
Skinless, Cryptopsy, Dead for Days
Napalm Death
Macabre
Dark Funeral, Enslaved, Withering Soul
Belphegor, Krisiun, Unleashed

Parked in the parking lot for every show except Macabre in which I parked on the side of the lot lined up.

All were great shows by the way.

Regarding the train, it IS a huge positive thing, if
you're willing to plan on spending the weekend
down there. I know a handful of people that routinely
head down there for shows and just spend the
night

Ah, cool. Certainly a suburban venue right next to a Metra station will always be better than one *not* next to a Metra station, but I couldn't imagine that anyone would have ever actually taken advantage of it in practice. Now I know better!

I guess I just must be lazier/cheaper than most. :D I can understand adding the extra expense/time on a hotel for a 2-day fest, but I never would have guessed anyone would do it for a normal show. I *have* a car, and the travel is a big reason I haven't gone to previous Powerfests. Four hours of driving (an hour each way from the NW suburbs, for two days) seems stupid to me, but spending money on a hotel when I live only an hour away seems even more stupid. So instead of choosing between two stupid things, my solution was to just do neither.

I guess my point is that is *very* easy to come up with an excuse not to attend, even if you make as easy as possible for us losers!

Neil

At the Kamalot/Epica shw I got great parking....but later I saw people being sent away because the lot was full. I guess you just need to get there early to get a good spot.

If you don't end up in the main lot, you'll likely end up in the lot near the Metra... Which means you'll walk about... three, four blocks tops to the doors... not a big deal...

Next time (Moonspell/Katatonia), there were also guys apparently blocking off the lot, so I went to the train station again. When I arrived back, I saw the lot was basically empty, even though the venue was already filled with people. After the show, the lot was filled, so my impression was that they had been "reserving" the lot for late-night club-goers (metal fans are 2nd class citizens?)

Hey Neil, that was an awesome guess, I can't believe what a genius you are. Because I actually asked the parking attendant "why?" this time, and this was the very reason he gave (they're reserving it for the nightclub-goers).

As metalheads, shouldn't this utter lack of respect by the beautiful people fill us with rage, and incite a class warfare where we commandeer the parking lot for ourselves, blasting through the barricades and rolling over the pimped-out Civics and Escalades with our El Caminos and our rusty '87 Station Wagons? C'mon, who's with me?!?! I think I'm going to write an angry thrash-metal song about it, I'm so fucking pissed. Pissed, I say!

And although the attendant didn't explicitly state this, I'm going to use my amazing deduction skills and claim that for Friday/Saturday shows, the parking lot will be off-limits to us metal warriors, but we will be given free reign any other nights.

Neil