Utility Bill Rates

Master_Yoda77

Juggalo
Mar 30, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
So, my current apartment complex wants to charge $809 a month for a one bedroom apartment, with all utilities except electric. I'm trying to figure out what other people pay, on average, for their utility bill that includes water, gas, garbage, electric, cable, and internet. I've found some solid apartments for like $550 in my area, and I have a hard time imagining paying fucking $250 a month on utility bills alone.

So, any bros here wanna help a broha out and provide me with a rough estimate on how much they pay every month?

$152 per week for a shitty room and a shared kitchen. I'm being stolen from basically, stuck in a contract too.

Yeah that's a rip. I don't know what garbage costs, but the most I ever paid, not counting electric, monthly, was roughly $40 for water and like $20 for garbage, $30-40 for LP/propane, and $40-50 for highspeed internet. So just barely around $150. Essentially $650 a month in Illinois for a 1 bedroom apt better be the fucking Taj Mahal of one bedroom apts.

So, my current apartment complex wants to charge $809 a month for a one bedroom apartment, with all utilities except electric. I'm trying to figure out what other people pay, on average, for their utility bill that includes water, gas, garbage, electric, cable, and internet. I've found some solid apartments for like $550 in my area, and I have a hard time imagining paying fucking $250 a month on utility bills alone.

So, any bros here wanna help a broha out and provide me with a rough estimate on how much they pay every month?

Does that apartment have central heating? Lots of apartments in Chicago, I know, have central heating which simply gets lumped into the rent. The apartment I lived in continuously kept the heat running throughout the winter, I mean pumping like fucking power plant.

Also, you should verify what cable providers are in the area and offer deals on wireless (which I'm assuming you want) because sometimes the number of providers is limited and the choices you have charge outrageously. Combine that with the rest, I'm not sure, it might come out close to $250.

Also, water? At an apartment complex? I didn't have to pay a water bill at any apartment I ever lived in, it was always included in rent. If you're seriously going into an apartment that doesn't even include water in utilities, then you should prepare for a pretty large utilities bill; that's my experience.

EDIT: I just realized that you said the higher-priced one doesn't include electric. What I said may not be entirely relevant. :cool:

The higher priced apartment has all the utilities included, including cable and internet, except I have to pay the electric bill.

I currently live in the same apartment complex as the $809 one bedroom a month rate, but my roommate and I only pay $860 a month combined. We've never paid more than $40 on our electric bill, while my friends who own single bedroom apartments say they spend 40-60 on average and like 90 in the summer when the AC is blasting. I've blasted the AC for nearly a month straight and the rent never exceeded $40 total.

And this is Dekalb, so just west of Chicago, and you know the only real cable provider in the area is Comcast, so Cable + Internet is like $90 a month.

Yeah, I may just purchase internet, or I may just pay the $800 a month so I can get everything and not worry about shit. I get the feeling that my utilities are going to end up being stupidly expensive cause, you know, fuck kids that live in college towns and stuff.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, not sure of the square footage, but it's just right not to small or big.

When I first moved in 2011, I payed about $60+/- a month, now I pay around $110-$150 a month, it jumps around a lot. I do not nothing different than I always have aside from a few additional fish tanks, which are very energy efficient.

That's the going rate where I live at.

600 a month rent
~60 bucks a month utilities (I don't pay heat so it might be skewed)
~20 bucks water

All utilities save electric are included in my rent ($775). That includes internet too.

I pay around $25/month for electric.

$425 for a room in a 3 BR occupied by 2, includes all utilities, water, gas, internet.

Best deal in town but i'm gonna have to move soon :\

Alright, well it looks like $809 isn't a terrible rip off, based on some of your bills and stuff. I managed to find a studio apartment for $450 with heat and hot water included close to campus. If that isn't taken I'm snagging that fucker right up lol.

My family keeps the temperature at like 67 in the winter, I could handle that easy enough. I'm also fat so I got the extra layer of sexiness to handle it. Eh ladies?

The only utility that will kill you to pay for individually is gas. I keep my temperature at 60 when I'm not home, and 64 when I am. And then cooking gas and running the dryer are on top of that. Hard to keep it under $80 a month in the winter. Better to be in a building where they blast the heat all winter long. (I live in a garden level unit, fwiw, so it's very cold in the winter, and I never need to turn on AC in the summer.) Electric maxes out at $35 or so. I've never heard of garbage or water expenses being separate from rent here. Water is extremely cheap in Chicago anyway. It's something like $30 a year if you own a home.

My prior studio in the city was $725 for a big studio, and cooking gas and internet were the only things I had to pay for, which topped out at under $30 a month.