Vacations/Placed you like to go.

matt schrauben

Curse You All Men!
Jan 24, 2006
Westphalia, MI
www.silentlapse.com
I thought I make a thread for people to share their favorite location to vacation, relax, fish, hunt, or whatever it is you like to do. Also would be a good gesture to give information on the place so any others who are interested can visit.

My favorite place is the Les Cheneaux Islands. It is a group of 36 small islands off the coast of Michigan's Eastern Upper Peninsula on Lake Huron. We stay in the town of Cedarville and fish in the Les Cheneaux Channels. I've been going up here since I was born because my Grandfather had a cabin up there and we'd go fishing. After he passed about 10 years ago, the cabin was sold and we didn't go up there for several years.

To bring you up to date, the men in my family and extended family that are 21+ now go up there every year in September for fishing, boozing, bullshitting, and eating. It's a great place; I'd recommend it to anyone.

The place we stay at: http://www.lclanding.com/

Information on the area: http://www.lescheneaux.org/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Cheneaux_Islands

The best part is how damn cheap it is to go up there. Get a good group of guys and you can have a great time for pretty cheap. The trip I take in September only cost about $140 a man, and that's for 4 days.

cot.jpg

Went to Iceland in july. Dirt cheap flight. Everybody I've told about the trip always says "but it's so expensive to go there...", but a return flight from Denmark was just $450 US. And hotels up there are really cheap, we spent around $300 US for a week per person.
I can highly recommend going up there! It is the most beautiful country I've ever been to, and I am definitely going back, although next time, I'll have to spend much more than only a week there!

Went to Iceland in july. Dirt cheap flight. Everybody I've told about the trip always says "but it's so expensive to go there...", but a return flight from Denmark was just $450 US. And hotels up there are really cheap, we spent around $300 US for a week per person.
I can highly recommend going up there! It is the most beautiful country I've ever been to, and I am definitely going back, although next time, I'll have to spend much more than only a week there!

That's awesome. A good friend of mine went there no too long ago and took some AMAZING pictures. He got a really good shot of the northern lights. I'll have to see if I can share them on here.

That'd be cool!

In maybe 10 years' time I'd love to go back to Kosovo. It's a beautiful country and I'd love to see it without a rifle on my shoulder.

One important travel advise to others, though: If you go there in the near future, in a rental car, make sure to get both Serbian and Kosovan license plates and change them at the internal "border", that'll save you a lot of trouble ;-)

Bumping this thread because I'm going to the Les Cheneaux Islands tomorrow morning!

That's exciting! Have a blast!

I'm planning on going to ProgPower next year, so that's one. I'd really like to go to Ireland one day. Aside from that, I'd also like to go overseas to see Elvenking live (since they'll probably never gig here), preferably in a place i'd like to visit as well.

Does a tour count? I'd like to do a week long tour next summer going out west a bit.

That's exciting! Have a blast!

I'm planning on going to ProgPower next year, so that's one. I'd really like to go to Ireland one day. Aside from that, I'd also like to go overseas to see Elvenking live (since they'll probably never gig here), preferably in a place i'd like to visit as well.

Does a tour count? I'd like to do a week long tour next summer going out west a bit.

I would most certainly think a tour would count. Or any festival. I want to go Wacken Open Air myself someday.

Leaving to go up north momentarily. Can't wait!

There's not really any place I go to over and over. I live on an island and it's hard and expensive to get anywhere. I did spend a few months in Argentina this year. Great trip for the most part. The people are nice, the beef is good and it's cheap. Had a smoking hot Argentine metalhead girlfriend too. The metal scene is kind of whack though, unless you like third rate power metal and Testament clones. May go back and stay with her again next year, haven't decided yet.