Valentines Day Samples

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Got 4 hard samples of Kick, Snare, Hi Tom, and Low Tom.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/333261/Paladin V-day Samples.wav

A bit of compression and eq has been done to these, but they are still pretty dry except for a little bit of room mic and overheads blended in slightly. Toms are paned 50/50 as to match the overheads. I'd mainly use the kick and snare from these. Toms aren't great, but I figured may as well include them.

Samples still need to be cut. I can't remember what kind of kit it was, but I remember the snare being a pork pie. Kick was mic'd with an audix d6, snare with an i5 and sm57 on bottom, hi tom was a beta57a and low tom was a beta52.

:headbang:

thanks, but why only 4 samples!?
if i would make any samples i would
record 10, 20 maybe 30 different hits.

any time i use slate samples (just an example)
i wish there were more samples between the soft,
mid and hard hits, as the transitions sound very rough.

i also don't get the "hard hits only" sample thing,
when blend this kick with another
and using softer hits, the hard hits sound
completely different...meh.

sorry, just had to write this as the last few times someone
put up some samples they were always just hard hits,
or maximum four or five samples.

:D

cheers
S.

Depends on how you're using them I guess.
Lately I've been doing ghost, soft, medium, hard and rimshot for my snare samples.
But to be honest come mix time I just end up using hard and rimshot, or even sometimes just rimshots. Because I'm not programming or triggering 100%, just blending in a sample with the natural sound to get a more consistent punch. So for that a few hard hits is enough.

Well, these actually came from a session where I decided not to trigger or replace any drums with samples. Reason being was the band just wanted a demo, not a full on production, and also to challenge myself at mixing without samples. These were mainly taken as a mixing reference for myself so I could eq them without anything else playing if i needed. I was on the clock and had to get the session going. If people like these I may make some more samples in the future with softer hits included.

I was kind of hoping "Valentines Day Samples" would be more along the lines of the ball clap samples, albeit with two people involved.

Balls hitting a hot ass?

I've gotta ask, but how would one mic that?

I guess if you had your woman on the end of the bed, got maybe a 57 about 4 inches off the source of impact and then went for it... you'd get multi-ball samples for sure. But would you double mic it to be sure?

Well, these actually came from a session where I decided not to trigger or replace any drums with samples. Reason being was the band just wanted a demo, not a full on production, and also to challenge myself at mixing without samples. These were mainly taken as a mixing reference for myself so I could eq them without anything else playing if i needed. I was on the clock and had to get the session going. If people like these I may make some more samples in the future with softer hits included.

the samples sound really good/usable, especially the toms! :)